Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allocated parking spaces.

Options
  • 11-05-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

We live in an estate in Balbriggan and we are sick and tired of having to park around the corner in the rain etc and carry shopping and child to our house when WE HAVE parking spaces in front of our door.
    Other people use them up, we were allocated 2 spaces for our house. We are living here 5 years and never had problems until the apartments went up(they have 1 space-not my problem either). Across the road i saw the house there had FIVE cars altogether parked up outside.
    Fed up with parking company car far away from the house(we do have a right to keep an eye on our belongings) my husband is thinking of blocking in any car that parks there.
    It is so frustrating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

To add, the spaces around the corner are for visitors, but are all taken up by residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if you have assigned parking then there must be a management company in place.
    why not give them a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

We have the same problem. Live in Baronshall and it's a nightmare. No matter how many times we've been on to the management agents they do nothing. I was thinking of getting the barriers that you can lock into drive ways and using them each time we take the car away; at the end of the day we bought the two parking spaces so it's our property.

The Management companies AGM is on in two weeks, so I'm gonna push the tenders to be sought from other agents, chances are they'll be just as bad but it may put pressure on the SPM to actually do something.

Out or curiosity, what estate are you in? if you don't want to post publicly feel free to me.

Hi Gillo, my Gosh thats unreal-You OWN them to. I think it would be within your right to get those barriers you said!!
    Im very near you.
    Can i ask how you went about owning your spaces as i would love to own ours too.

They were bought with the house and are listed to it on the land registry.

The apartments have allocated space's but I don't know if they actually owe them. It could be worth checking your deeds you may actually owe them. There is another house that uses the same car park as ourselves, they've started leaving a cone in their space it appears to work.

With regard to blocking someone's car in, tempting as it may be I wouldn't recommend it as someone may take it the react in completely the wrong way or may need their car in an emergency (say a sick child).

• Advertisement

Ah no he wouldnt block them in, some do that though. Hmm where would i get my hands on a cone?? Is it ok to do that either?

No idea, you could try a builders supplies or alternatively there's enough building work going on in the area that you should be able to convince some kind builder to give you one.

"Would you be able to do it"
    I don't see any harm in trying, if the management cowboys get on to you about it, it'd give you prime ammo to ask them what they are doing about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have a similar issue but our spaces were never officially allocated,some of the people around have drive ways but don't use them and either park in front of our houses or on the road.
    I have even seen cars parked completely on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's really getting ridiculous in places. I've seen people parking all over any available surface around the first roundabout at Moylaragh - half on the grass, half on the road. Sometimes they do it on both sides, so you end up slaloming trying to drive past. Most of the time it's really difficult to see around the cars to know if another car is coming, or if there is anyone on the road around it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't they park their cars on the road on purpose as a matter of protest as moylaragh road is not a cul de sac?
    It is so dangerous for both small children and emergency vehicles that may need to get through.
    There is really no shortage of parking and most of those houses have a driveway to the side with room for 2 cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

tiredmam wrote: »
    We live in an estate in Balbriggan and we are sick and tired of having to park around the corner in the rain etc and carry shopping and child to our house when WE HAVE parking spaces in front of our door.
    Other people use them up, we were allocated 2 spaces for our house. We are living here 5 years and never had problems until the apartments went up(they have 1 space-not my problem either). Across the road i saw the house there had FIVE cars altogether parked up outside.
    Fed up with parking company car far away from the house(we do have a right to keep an eye on our belongings) my husband is thinking of blocking in any car that parks there.
    It is so frustrating.

It is very annoying. To think you had to pay for parking spaces and somebody else has the cheek to use them. stick a note on their windscreen explaining that those parking spots are your property and get cones to leave
    in the spaces when your out. Maybe even paint your house no. on the parking space.

I noticed that too Fingleberries. Parking on the road right on a corner. And yes it is difficult to see whats ahead.

Does anyone know how i go about buying the spaces????

Id be worried about painting my number on the space in case i got a summons or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Moonbeam wrote:
    Don't they park their cars on the road on purpose as a matter of protest as moylaragh road is not a cul de sac?

You're quite right about the cars on the Moylaragh Road, it is some form of protest from the homeowners there (as they all have a two-car driveway attached to their house).

The cars to which I refer are on Moylaragh Crescent, almost at the entrance / exit from the roundabout (which I am almost sure is against the rules of the road).

[/quote]
    tiredman wrote:
    Id be worried about painting my number on the space in case i got a summons or something.
    I've seen a few who have taken this into their own hands, too. I'm not sure how they worked out which spaces were theirs and what right they had to do this as specific parking spaces were not assigned in the deeds.

I don't know about where you'd go to buy the spaces. Ours was included in the title for the property. Most townhouses / flats are generally controlled by a management company and they may have held on to the spaces as another way to get more money for themselves. Could be worth checking with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

grahamo wrote: »
    stick a note on their windscreen explaining that those parking spots are your property
    FYI: this is illegal. If they cannot take the note from their windscreen, they can bill you for it's removal.

=-=

If you own the spot, see is there any way you can ring someone to get the car clamped, or to set up a clamping contract with the other residents of the estate, to clamp non-residents?

the_syco wrote: »
    FYI: this is illegal. If they cannot take the note from their windscreen, they can bill you for it's removal.

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

the_syco wrote: »

=-=

If you own the spot, see is there any way you can ring someone to get the car clamped, or to set up a clamping contract with the other residents of the estate, to clamp non-residents?

They'd have some neck complaining about a note on their windscreen while its parked on someone else's property.

I don't think he meant sticking the note on with glue, just a case of sticking it under the wiper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hi,
    I'm also in Barons Hall and this has being absolute nightmare for me and bf up to two weeks ago-i get in from work about 6 every day and our two spaces are around the corner from our house and facing another house(which have two spaces and three cars). Every day when I get home one of their cars is in our second space and I used to ignore it as the bf not home from work til 9 most days but turns out when we'd knock on their door at night to remove their car they wouldnt always answer which means we hav to park second car outside house on path. Very frustrating-esp as mgt company sent notice around that they hav clampers in area now clamping cars on paths...

So after sticking numerous notes on window and constantly being ignored I sent a letter thru their door advising that action wil be taken if happens again(dont know what i could have done anyway) but its worked and they never park there anymore so hopefully thats end of it.

Its really my only annoyance about living up here as everything else is great!

The AGM with the management company is on tonight. I have to work late tonight so I can't make it, pity though because I had been looking forward to ruffling feathers.

The unfortunate thing is there'll more than likely be a small turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I think it is outrageous that you even have to rent or buy your own space. If the developers arent going to give you a garden to put your car in the least they can do is issue you with a space that comes with the property.

Another money sucking loop-hole. Thankfully Im not in your position OP, but I would be livid too. It sets people off taking things into their own hands, and makes for bad community relations.

I do have a garden where I can put my car, but a few of my neighbours have vans and leave them outside my place. It kills light in our living room, and everytime you look out the window the first thing that hits your face with ugliness of the thing with company advertising sprawled all over it. :(

Have you tried approaching the person taking your space OP?

• Advertisement

You hit the nail on the head there Abigayle.
    Quote from you : It sets people off taking things into their own hands, and makes for bad community relations.
    Very true and i mean it is horrible to come out your door and face to face with someone who gives you the evils.

It is different people all the time, so not just the one in particular.

You hit the nail on the head there Abigayle.
    Quote from you : It sets people off taking things into their own hands, and makes for bad community relations.
    Very true and i mean it is horrible to come out your door and face to face with someone who gives you the evils.

It is different people all the time, so not just the one in particular.

Thats a terrible pity TM, that makes the matter much messier to deal with right away. The only hope you have is with the management then. They should issue out letters to everyone in the area.

Most homes have two cars now, as two have to be out working to pay over-priced mortgages. But it does take a lot of ignorance to go and park your car outside someones home. I know I wouldnt do it, its disrespectful and obnoxious behaviour. I really hope you get it sorted out, but it looks like management is the only route to go. But persevere and find try find out if there are people like you :/

But if you must go it alone, I prescribe 1 box of chalk, a steady-hand and some crime-scene tape, until you get back home. See Diagram below.

createacrimescene.gif

:D

Lol with the crime scene tape.
    Yes there are plenty of other residents like us who are fed up with it.

So you think i should call the builders is it, or the County Council you mean?

Lol with the crime scene tape.
    Yes there are plenty of other residents like us who are fed up with it.

So you think i should call the builders is it, or the County Council you mean?

I dont think its county council. I assume there is a residents association set up? You need to talk to a couple of your neighbours, they might know who is on the association. Although some view it as time consuming, its handy to be involved with the association in your area.

It is a private estate isnt it?

Yes private estate. I dont think there is a residence committee. And im afraid to go knocking on doors in case they turned out to be ''the some'' who parked in our spot.
    Just wondering who actually owns the parking spaces, is it the council. They are part of the roadway so i assume so.
    Could i contact them about getting ownership of them?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm in the process of buying a house at the moment and it comes with 2 spaces. I asked the estate agent if my designated places will be outside my door or around the corner. He didn't have a clue and up to 1 week later still does not have an answer for me.

I had a nose around the estate and there are number plauqes on the kerb indicating which house the space belongs to.

I'm very particular about this and this could be a deal breaker for me!

On a side note, where I am currently living, I have a driveway. To my shock sometimes, my neighbours (who have 8 cars!!) park accross my gates so i cant get out of the driveway. They apologise and are nice about it...but i would never block somebodies drive or car. When I park, i get out and check that I am parked somewhere that I am allowed to park and secondly, where i am not blocking anyone or anything.

You might be better off where you are BoomBap!! :)

When they say you are allocated 2 or 1 space, you might have to park a mile down the road.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well, I havent paid them yet so either there is a spot outside my house or there is a torn up cheque being placed in the approriate recycling recepticle.:D

That is probably why they cant give you an answer, cos it is terrible off putting. Good luck with what you do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

having been in that situation before I would never go back to it... Designated spaces? yeah right. You always get someone ignorant who doesn't give 2 flips about your "designated" space and will park in it because its empty. simple as that. Usually in a company van so they don't give a crapolla if anything happens to it (keying, brick in the window etc, not that I'm the type). also had the one with the mobile billboard(van) parked 2 feet from the living room window.. beautiful situation. really sets off the room, especially when you have guests. wonderful. I wonder will the planners/builders ever accept that bad planning can lead to social problems in an estate? lumping a spot of 25 parking spaces 200metres from the 10 houses is always going to cause problems. Building a house thats 1 metre from a roadway will always cause issues with people parking up right outside your door/window. It's ridiculously bad (cheaper) planning. We even had someone on here explaining how she was told not to leave her bins outside the front door, because its too near the public pathway running past her house. she had no side entrance so basically had to bring the bins from backgarden through the house each time she wanted to put them out. I think the style of house in the past 10 years has been such a bad thing socially. 20 years ago look at thestyle of housing. Even council housing had a nice big driveway (for 2 cars) and bigger gardens. Now private houses for 300k or more have nothing!!!! No front garden and "designated" spaces not always close by. How is it that the social and living standards of housing has gone down the pan in the past 20 years when supposedly we are all RICH and Ireland is the highest standard of living in Europe etc etc blah blah. yeah right. When my parents were 25 they bought land and built their own house. On an average industrial wage! Lets see that today? People on the saverage wage struggle now to buy a 3 bed semi, and require two people working to barely pay off a 35 year mortgage. Are things really better nowadays? Sure you have more money, but put it in context. What does it get you? less than it got you 25 years ago thats for sure.

Advertisement