Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relegated players

• 11-05-2008 8:56pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So which Relegated players do you think should Prem clubs should raid Derby, Brum and Reading for? and where could you see them going?

Derby: Giles Barnes

Reading: Hunt, Doyle, Shorey, Kitson?

Birmingham: Zarate, Seb Larsson, Forsell?, Kapo?, De Ridder?, Muamba? or maybe McFadden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I think some of the names mentioned may well stay with their clubs, don't think any of the names mentioned will be snapped up by top half teams, none are good enough imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Hunt, Doyle and Long to Sunderland. Dunno why I think that but just got a feeling. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I agree about Hunt and Doyle to Sunderland. As for Kitson, he is only a championship player. Not up to premier standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think Zarate looks like a top flight player. Apart from that not a lot. Hope for the sake of the Irish team the Reading lads get a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sonko will probably move on from Reading. I think he's an international footballer and probably won't fancy being out of the Premiership. The other names from Reading mentioned could all go.

For Derby, I'd only rate Giles Barnes and I think he'll leave them.

As for Birmingham, well if Roy Keane fancies another Irishman he could go for Kelly maybe. I'm sure Zarate won't be there. I think McSheffrey is a good player and it wouldn't surprise me if a PL club bids for him and he goes. I feel Muamba is another good player. Cameron Jerome could move on too. I would expect Steve Bruce will fancy raiding his old club for some of these players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I think zarate and muamba were only on loan with Brum and some dutch team are interested in de ridder

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Muamba isn't a loanee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Think McFadden said during the week that he'd stay no matter what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm hopeful Doyle, Hunt and Kelly will be playing priemership football next year.

Cameron Jerome is a must beyond the Irish lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Hunt, Doyle and Long to Sunderland. Dunno why I think that but just got a feeling. :p

I wonder does it irritate the Sunderland fans that they have a team (and club!) full of Irish people? Probably...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Orizio wrote: »
    I'm hopeful Doyle, Hunt and Kelly will be playing priemership football next year.

Cameron Jerome is a must beyond the Irish lads.
    +1.
    Jerome is a decent enough player, especially for a potentially mid-table team like Sunderland to keep an eye on. Would love to see Hunt and Doyle along with Zarate on their way to Sunderland. Apart from Barnes, Derby don't have much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think another year in the championship will do doyle the world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

dublindude wrote: »
    I wonder does it irritate the Sunderland fans that they have a team (and club!) full of Irish people? Probably...
    No not really. If the player's good enough and all that. Besides after the summer the Irish could be the biggest casualties on Wearside. Harte, Connolly and (possibly) McShane are on the way out. Roy O' Donovan could be loaned out along with Anthony Stokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Brum are the most likely to be pillaged.

Larsson, Zarate, McFadden, Jerome, Kapo, De Ridder, Forsell.

As for Reading, you could see Keane doing a double-swoop for Hunt and Doyle. Not as sure about Long, although it could be good from an Irish point of view if he became a regular in the Championship. I think Nicky Shorey is a cert to go, they barely hung onto him even this season.

Derby, as said above, Giles Barnes is probably the only one who will be taken.

Do they though? They didn't appear to have many starting today.I know they have a few in the squad, I think keane, may well get rid of a number of the irish players this summer,think I read somewhere that keane was going to be looking for players from European leagues. As for the club, don't think the fans mind if money is pumped in and Sunderland are still an English club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Hunt is the most dead cert to leave. Shorey and Doyle could stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Neither Zarate or Kapo are brum players are they. They will not be bought from brum anyway.

Neither Zarate or Kapo are brum players are they. They will not be bought from brum anyway.

I was unsure about Zarate but I thought Kapo was bought.

Edit: Just checked and that is indeed the case. Neither will be there next season I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not unless they go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Helix wrote: »
    i think another year in the championship will do doyle the world of good

100% agree. Doyle has been awful this term. Needs to score goals and rebuild at the lower level.

Hunt was a standout and is probably the best player available off the three relegated teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hunt was a standout and is probably the best player available off the three relegated teams.

agreed. he's the highest paid player at Reading too, I didn't know that. and has a sell on clause in his contract for around £5million if the Sunday times is to be believed. Wonder will Sunderland have much competition for him? i could see him doing a decent job for a few of the top half teams but still relatively inexpensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Brummies:
    I'd take a punt on McFadden. Has proved he can finish at the premiership level.
    I would have said Forsell a few years back but he hasn't set the world alight since.
    Would have thought stephen kelly might get a move but he'll prob stay.

Reading:
    James Harper could probably do a job in the premier, seems to have a decent engine.
    Hunt will probably go but its only really sunderland who want him, kinda says it all about him for me, the Irish Park/Kuyt :D
    I think shorey and doyle will stay

Derby:
    lol eh none. They wont even keep them according to Jewell's post match comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Hunt is the obvious one. Amazing to think Doyle was being linked (albeit falsely) with Chelsea not all that long ago. His star has fallen a long way but he's a better player than he showed recently and I've no doubt he will improve again. Just needs to get some confidence back.

Derby have nothing unfortunately, and the players being cleared out there will not be returning to the premier league any time soon. Even Giles Barnes is being talked up too much, it's not hard to stand out in a team that's got so many poor players. That said he at least showed some potential unlike most of his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

re Derby - while the club have no doubt made a pile of cash from their season stinking out the PL, promotion has turned out to be a real poisoned chalice for the players (and indeed Billy Davies).

Jewell was on MOTD last night saying that most of the players were not fit to wear the shirt and wouldn't be playing for him again - ouch! So in return for overachieving and winning promotion last season, they've enjoyed a season of humiliation followed by the sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hope Doyle gets a move so we can get our 10% sell on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Reading will depend on the manager. If Coppell stays then so too will Doyle and Hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

100% agree. Doyle has been awful this term. Needs to score goals and rebuild at the lower level.

Kitson needs to shoulder alot of blame for that, he is on the greediest players I have seen in a long while.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Derby:
    lol eh none. They wont even keep them according to Jewell's post match comments.

gilles barnes

gimmick wrote: »
    Hope Doyle gets a move so we can get our 10% sell on.

if he starts banging in goals in the championship youll get more next year

• Advertisement

gilles barnes

As a premiership player? Not yet. Needs time before he makes the step back up. He stood out because he was in a really really bad team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think doyle will move hes too good for the championship, he didnt score in a struggling side but its not as if they had anyone else banging them in

he is strong, has a decent touch, is brave and good in the air, i reckon the better a team he is with the better he will be,

id actually love to see how hed get on at a really big club

Mad_Max wrote: »
    As a premiership player? Not yet. Needs time before he makes the step back up. He stood out because he was in a really really bad team.

they said the same about ashley young tho

barnes is definitely capable to follow youngs footsteps, hopefully at villa too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cyrus wrote: »
    i think doyle will move hes too good for the championship, he didnt score in a struggling side but its not as if they had anyone else banging them in

he is strong, has a decent touch, is brave and good in the air, i reckon the better a team he is with the better he will be,

Maybe Barca will get him in to replace 'Dinho...

At a really big club he'd be on the bench a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

All this talk about whether Doyle will stay or not. Will anybody even want a 6 goal striker in the prem next season outside of Stoke City?

• Advertisement

they said the same about ashley young tho

barnes is definitely capable to follow youngs footsteps, hopefully at villa too

Fair point. Well obviously his knee injury at the very least is going to delay any movement but I still think he needs time. Ashely young was a massive gamble especially at the price tag and has only really started to flourish this year. Giles would be a bigger risk imo but maybe with the right club/manager it might work who am i to say :D

dsmythy wrote: »
    All this talk about whether Doyle will stay or not. Will anybody even want a 6 goal striker in the prem next season outside of Stoke City?

Stoke / the team promoted via the playoffs / maybe one of the teams who flirted with relegation this year and could do with some cheapish help up front like Bolton or Wigan.

He's getting a favorable assessment here because he is an Irish player on an Irish soccer forum and people remember the fact that he had a great season when Reading got promoted from the championship - and was decent enough last year in a team that was clicking. When the chips were down this season (particularly since Christmas) he's offered little.

As an Irish fan I would prefer to see our strikers playing regularly each week and banging them in at the championship level - rather than in and out of a team and struggling for form at the premiership level. I think a player coming in to the national side from the former scenario performs better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think Kenny Miller might get a move from Derby. Not a bad player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I could see a mid table team taking Harper from Reading.

Derby I cannot seeing any Prem team buyiong any of their players apart from Barnes as a few clubs had been sniffing around him for over a year now. But maybe they will wait see how he recovers from this injury first.

Birmingham again have no players that stand out too much. McFadden and Zarate do but I dont think McFadden can leave till after Jan 2009 in anyways.

Zarate isn't even on their books so not really their player.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think Kenny Miller might get a move from Derby. Not a bad player

Back to Scotland imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

think i heard Rangers want to take him

By the way, I think this thread highlights why the three teams that went down did go down.

If Sunderland had been relegated there would have been genuine interest in the likes of Jones, Reid and Richardson. Bolton have Diouf (who is going) and Nolan. Boro have Huth, Downing and Aliadiere. Wigan have Heskey and Sharner. Fulham would have seen interest in Bullard and Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dsmythy wrote: »

okay here are some players who scored less (i know some were injured but still)

Saha 5
    Aliadiere 5
    Sheva 5
    Voronin 5
    Crouch 5
    Bentdner 5
    Heskey 4

i think the converse on doyle, people are being overly critical because he is irish.

I think he will get a move and one to a bigger club that stoke, and i couldnt see him costing less than 3.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

By the way, I think this thread highlights why the three teams that went down did go down.

If Sunderland had been relegated there would have been genuine interest in the likes of Jones, Reid and Richardson. Bolton have Diouf (who is going) and Nolan. Boro have Huth, Downing and Aliadiere. Wigan have Heskey and Sharner. Fulham would have seen interest in Bullard and Dempsey.

QFT^^^^

with the possible except of reading who'll have interest in Hunt,Doyle,Harper,Shorey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

IMO Doyle would do well at sunderland - a good kick up the arse is all that fella needs, he's a good player but got lost in his own glory.

Hunt is a standout player but he doesn't have a lot 'up-top' he needs a club that he can play without using too much brain power!

okay here are some players who scored less (i know some were injured but still)

Saha 5
    Aliadiere 5
    Sheva 5
    Voronin 5
    Crouch 5
    Bentdner 5
    Heskey 4

i think the converse on doyle, people are being overly critical because he is irish.

I think he will get a move and one to a bigger club that stoke, and i couldnt see him costing less than 3.5m

Saha: had less than 20 league appearances total I think
    Sheva: Can point to a career which stands up to the highest scrutiny. Will be shipped back to a top four Italian side;
    Voronin: Fewer appearances than Doyle. I don't rate him though - but I don't think Doyle is that much better tbh;
    Crouch: fewer appearances than Doyle. More impact in games he didn't score in;
    Bentdner: Doyle is probably on a par if not better. Agreed;
    Heskey: Heskey provides a general impact and leads the line much better from the games I have seen. However as I said - I think if Doyle was to go somewhere Wigan would be one of the teams who could be interested;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

loyatemu wrote: »
    re Derby - while the club have no doubt made a pile of cash from their season stinking out the PL, promotion has turned out to be a real poisoned chalice for the players (and indeed Billy Davies).

Jewell was on MOTD last night saying that most of the players were not fit to wear the shirt and wouldn't be playing for him again - ouch! So in return for overachieving and winning promotion last season, they've enjoyed a season of humiliation followed by the sack.

Good point, and it only proves that there's no use coming up to the premier league unless you're ready for it, and more importantly willing to spend a few quid to ensure you stay there. They also made the point on MOTD that Sunderland spent 40 million+ and still only just dodged relegation, yet the money they spent on the likes of Reid and Jones probably saved them in the end.

In light of Derby's experience this season you'd have to worry for the likes of Hull or Bristol City in the premier league. They could be way out of their depth. Hull lost 13 games in the championship, Bristol City 12. Without significant additions to the squad it's a cast iron certainty they'd go straight back down.

I agree, with the exception of Birmingham. I think they have some real quality players, I'm still surprised they went down.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Good point, and it only proves that there's no use coming up to the premier league unless you're ready for it, and more importantly willing to spend a few quid to ensure you stay there. They also made the point on MOTD that Sunderland spent 40 million+ and still only just dodged relegation, yet the money they spent on the likes of Reid and Jones probably saved them in the end.

True but they also pointed out the risks with Sunderlands strategy,can the club actually afford to spend that amount of money, next season is a very big one for them, I wonder can they afford to go out and spend that amount of money again.

They'll have to spend something or they'll do a Reading, stagnate and get relegated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement