Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relegated players

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mad_Max wrote: »
    They'll have to spend something or they'll do a Reading, stagnate and get relegated.

True but I suppose I am wondering can they realistically spend such large amounts at the end of the day the club has to be run as a business, was looking at an article on a man utd site and the debt figure they have is huge not to mention the interest figures which with LIBOR rates will only rise. I know utd don't have to pay back on the principal for another five years, but still! With regards Sunderland, I don't have enough info on there finances but can they really spend another £40+ million this summer. It paid off for them this season,they stayed up but I wonder how they are financing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumaville_Consortium

There's a few moneymen on the board alright. Whether or not that makes a difference is another thing.

They are getting rid of players so the wage bill wont get too inflated. With survival they retain the TV/Sponsorship money they got when they got promoted and they will keep filling the ground.

I doubt he'll spend 40+ million but I reckon if he COULD attract a few quality players, and they'd have to be good, then I reckon he'd get the backing.

Its always a big gamble for the lower clubs, hard balancing act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Boro have Huth, Downing and Aliadiere. .

If Boro went down they would have found buyers for Huth, Wheater, Downing Tuncay, Alves and maybe Cattermole. They have a decent team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think f Coppell stays then the reading players will all stay, in fact, they should be forced to. They are the reason the club went down.

I like Doyle, but he had a poor season, a winning season in the championship will do him good. I think hunt is over rated personally and I can't see him being at a club any bigger than reading. OK he had a good enough season, but I think that's it, he can't improve whereas Doyle certainly can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If Boro went down they would have found buyers for Huth, Wheater, Downing Tuncay, Alves and maybe Cattermole. They have a decent team

Cattermole is a horrible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bubs101 wrote: »

lol. I forgot about Tuncay. Wheater and Cattermole aren't very good though. But they're English and young! So of course someone might be stupid enough to pay way over the odds for them.

I agree, with the exception of Birmingham. I think they have some real quality players, I'm still surprised they went down.

Who is "real quality" in your opinion? Zarate isn't fully owned by them yet by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

So which Relegated players do you think should Prem clubs should raid Derby, Brum and Reading for? and where could you see them going?

Derby: Giles Barnes

Reading: Hunt, Doyle, Shorey, Kitson?

Birmingham: Zarate, Seb Larsson, Forsell?, Kapo?, De Ridder?, Muamba? or maybe McFadden

Id sooner see the Irish 3 of Reading in the c`ship than wasting their playing life at Sunderland. Though obviously Id sooner see them back in any other PL team but Id reckon Reading will hold onto them to try and get back to the PL. Can imagine Villa being the best club table and manager wise to make a bid for any of the 3 lads, any clubs higher up are too full of talented attackers to warrant a bid. tbh last season if they had got relegated (highly unlikely, obviously) there woulda been a bidding war for the 3, but Doyle had an awful season.

Kitson is a possible buy for the likes of Fulham or a newly promoted club, hes likely about to get an England cap isnt he?

Id like to see McFadden back in the prem, misguided loyalty brought him to Birmingham and Judas McLeish. I despise McLeish now and apart from McFadden and Kelly I am ****ing delighted they went down, hope McLeish cant get a job beyond League 2 within 3 odd years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think hunt is over rated personally and I can't see him being at a club any bigger than reading.

he probably wouldn't get a starting position, but i could see quite a few clubs of the midtable clubs taking an interest in him as an impact player, he's full of energy when he comes on and through sheer effort more than anything else can make things happen where plan A has failed. and he'll be relatively inexpensive too if the papers are to be believed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Who is "real quality" in your opinion? Zarate isn't fully owned by them yet by the way.

The players I posted on the first page, although I did include Zarate because I forgot he was on loan. Although really that's irrelevent when talking about being surprised that they went down. I think Larsson, McFadden, Jerome, Kapo, De Ridder, Forsell are decent players. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were playing elsewhere next season.

The players I posted on the first page, although I did include Zarate because I forgot he was on loan. Although really that's irrelevent when talking about being surprised that they went down. I think Larsson, McFadden, Jerome, Kapo, De Ridder, Forsell are decent players. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were playing elsewhere next season.

Sorry, I missed your post on the front page.

Forsell could have been a great player - but injuries have destroyed him imo.

Larsson, Kapo, Jerome and De Ridder have some qualities and they may attract some interest from some of the weak promoted sides if the price is right - but I wouldn't be comfortable labeling them as "real quality".

I'd say McFadden is the best player on the squad - and the one player who might genuinely improve some of the teams left in the premiership at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Forsell could have been a great player - but injuries have destroyed him imo.
    Indeed, it's a shame. He was a giant that season he was on loan from Chelsea and Brum finished in the top half (iirc).
    Larsson, Kapo, Jerome and De Ridder have some qualities and they may attract some interest from some of the weak promoted sides if the price is right - but I wouldn't be comfortable labeling them as "real quality".
    I guess the term 'real quality' is subjective, but I do think they are good enough players not to have finished up second last. Although De Ridder didn't play much, maybe there were other issues such as settling in etc. I reckon himself and Kapo will go abroad.
    I'd say McFadden is the best player on the squad - and the one player who might genuinely improve some of the teams left in the premiership at present.
    Definitely. Someone said earlier in the thread that he's commited himself to the club despite relegation. They'd be doing very well to hold onto him I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Birmingham's on-loan striker Mauro Zarate is in talks with two Premier League clubs. (BBC Sport, 1342)

Reading manager Steve Coppell has hinted that the support of the fans may persuade him to stay at the club. (Reading Evening Post, 1232 BST)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kevin Doyle, Everton, €4.3m in about 3-4 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Was only talking about this the other day with a few lads, Derby, Barnes is a young player with potential, but I dont think that was seen this season, in summary I dont think Reading or Brum would even sign a Derby player!

Theres usually one player who makes a name for themselves in a relegation season (Ashley Young a good example) but I cant think of anybody who other teams would be arsed buying tbh.

Hunt will go to Sunderland, wont be surprised if Doyle goes with him !

McFadden certainly good enough to play in the prem but who will buy him?

I think its fair to say that there wont be a queue for any of Derbys defenders when the sales start :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement