Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will faster DSL speeds mean wider coverage???

Options
  • 11-05-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I live about 5 miles from my exchange and my neighbours about 400 yards from my house can get broadband. I was wondering when eircom have finished rolling out the faster speeds will that mean that the BB will travel further from the exchange and thus reach my house??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

From wikipedia
    Increases the range of the DSL service enabling the link to work at a distance of 7 kilometers, or 23000 ft

However the quality of your line will be the deciding factor. You might be lucky but there's no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

admol wrote: »
    From wikipedia

However the quality of your line will be the deciding factor. You might be lucky but there's no guarantee.

so does that mean that the new speeds are ADSL2 or ADSL+??? whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

irishboyuk wrote: »
    so does that mean that the new speeds are ADSL2 or ADSL+???
    Yes its ADSL2+
    irishboyuk wrote: »
    whats the difference?
    Google is your friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Small increase in distance. And only slight increase in speed beyond 1km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The emphasis is on the word small. Its not going to make any difference to the majority of people who can't get it because of distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement