Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On PHB's siggie

• 11-05-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

You know the one, about the PL not being won on penalties. Out of curiosity, does anyone have the penalties for and against figures for the PL sides this season?

Somebody told me only 1 penalty awarded against Man Utd all season. Surely that can't be right :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yup, it is right

just the one pen against them all year

it was just recently too wasnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Of course it can be right and it is but don't think for one second that there is any kind of different application of the rules for Man U than there is for other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Of course it can be right and it is but don't think for one second that there is any kind of different application of the rules for Man U than there is for other teams.

And don't forget Wigan lying down for them today :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Would never suggest that. How many awarded against your team, Thanx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

oh go to bed t4tf. your just mad and sh1t. your embarresing yourself:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It was the one against Carrick in the Chelsea game for the handball! Woulda been pretty cool to go the whole season not giving one away!

And Collie how did Wigan ly down for them today?! They gave it a very good effort,Heskey had around 5 decent headers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Even if you had the stats you seek then you have to ask yourself "what would it mean anyway"? If Man U spend most of the game attacking or in possession then obviously they're gonna concede less penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pigman II wrote: »
    Even if you had the stats you seek then you have to ask yourself "what would it mean anyway"? If Man U spend most of the game attacking or in possession then obviously they're gonna concede less penos.

Exactly. They only conceded 22 goals in the league all season. How often would the opposition be in United's penalty box terrorising the defence for a penalty to be even given away?

It's a different story in Europe when United are under more pressure. You will recall Roma were awarded a penalty which de Rossi missed (which should never have been given) but why let these things enter into the equation eh?

It's a conspiracy I tells ya! :eek::eek::eek:

are people having trouble reading. I said that it should not suggest that the refs applied the rules differently and the Mancs start jumping up and down too. seems the I'm a Man United ....can drive a tractor ditty is not too far off the mark.

And a good point there from Pigman too.

kmart6 wrote: »
    And Collie how did Wigan ly down for them today?!

I was being sarcastic but some f*cker has taken away the rolly-eyes thread

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Would never suggest that. How many awarded against your team, Thanx?
    Dunno nipple but I can remember two off the top of my head, actually make that three.

How many was there ?

are people having trouble reading. I said that it should not suggest that the refs applied the rules differently and the Mancs start jumping up and down too. seems the I'm a Man United ....can drive a tractor ditty is not too far off the mark.

So that wasn't a sarcastic remark on your part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

1 peno is good going.

And a good point there from Pigman too.

Yea that clearly was a very poorly veiled remark and even worse is the way you are trying to pretend like it was an honest observation minus sarcasm.

So that wasn't a sarcastic remark on your part?
    You probably would have seen some nature of smiley if I was being sarcastic Nice Guy.

Any apologies coming from any Mancs, I doubt it :rolleyes: <- Yes the ones that Collie said was gone.

You probably would have seen some nature of smiley if I was being sarcastic Nice Guy.

Any apologies coming from any Mancs, I doubt it :rolleyes: <- Yes the ones that Collie said was gone.

No need to get personal now. That doesn't look like a rolly-eyes thing?

How is that getting personal, you have been getting personal, I have shown you were wrong again tonight. They are the rolly eyes, you just type : rolleyes : without the spaces, that's how I know it's them.

How is that getting personal, you have been getting personal, I have shown you were wrong again tonight. They are the rolly eyes, you just type : rolleyes : without the spaces, that's how I know it's them.

How was I getting personal? You were being patronising....and now I'm remembering why I rarely visit the soccer forum. Oh and to show that I was wrong again would imply that you've done it before...enlighten me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Can I ask a question T4TF?

If Liverpool today were in the same situation as Man U, won the league, Ref had a bad game, and United fans came on here and did nothing but whinge about how the Ref was terrible , what would you say ?

No we wouldnt expect that cos whether u are prepared to admit it or not, your previous posts today and your general attitude towards United would suggest otherwise. (Im talking of course about u painting yourself in glory on the United thread tonight) Its cool that u hate united, I dont give a sh1t what u think of United tbh or your general opinions or frankly what anyone else thinks of United, everyone has an opinion and the right to express that opinion. Its also cool when PHB (the only other mod whose allegiance I know) doesnt like Liverpool and makes remarks but at least in his case he doesnt pretend like he's making honest assessments when he clearly isnt.

Tbh I really hope that you've been drinkin all day and this is the end product of a day in the pub with your Pool mates where ya's all had a nice big chat about how much ya's hate United etc and now its materialising itself in the way in which u stirred up 4 pages of arguments in the United superthread. Dont the rules about "threadspoiling" state that u have to keep it to the matchday threads and not the superthreads- I clearly remember seeing that a few weeks back when, suprise suprise, you were on making anti-United remars and when called on it, either yourself or PSI said its fair game on the match threads, just that u have to cool it on the superthreads? Surely mods should behave the way the rest of the forum is supposed to, no?

If United fans did what u did tonight in the Pool thread after Pool had won the league (I know how unrealistic this hypothetical situation is but sure just imagine, Im sure you're able to) you would probably ban them.

• Advertisement

20bb168657ccb15849cc4a1cf58128a2.jpg

What are you talking about Will. This thread was started by somebody else saying that United only gave away one penalty all season in the prem. That pen was against another one of the big 4, and I said that there was no conspiracy. I assume that this is not what you are referring to on this thread ? I do not think that your post has much relevance on this thread about something entirely different TBH but please feel free to show me the error of my ways.

Sherifu wrote: »
    20bb168657ccb15849cc4a1cf58128a2.jpg

lol ****-stirrer

If United fans did what u did tonight in the Pool thread after Pool had won the league (I know how unrealistic this hypothetical situation is but sure just imagine, Im sure you're able to) you would probably ban them.

Wrong again Neil, don't let it get you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dunno nipple but I can remember two off the top of my head, actually make that three.

How many was there ?

I have no idea, but there's lots of stattos here and I thought somebody would know. What I didn't think was that every Manc in the forum would start acting all defensive, circling the wagons and such. Is there even a list showing how many goals scored were penos? Like this one for Serie A for example

Trezeguet Juventus 19 (1 pen)
    Del Piero Juventus 19 (2)
    Borriello Genoa 19 (5)
    Di Natale Udinese 17 (2)
    Mutu Fiorentina 17 (6)
    Amauri Palermo 15 (2)
    Kaka Milan 15 (6)
    Ibrahimovic Inter 15 (8)
    Pandev Lazio 14 (1)
    Totti Roma 14 (3)
    Cruz Inter 13 (1)
    Rocchi Lazio 13 (3)
    Quagliarella Udinese 12
    Bellucci Sampdoria 12 (2)
    Doni Atalanta 12 (4

Fair enough then T4TF I will give it more meaning in its own thread.

Wrong again Neil, don't let it get you down.

Dont worry, nothing is getting me down today, our season isnt over, so Im both overjoyed and excited! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Collie D wrote: »
    lol ****-stirrer
    I am deeply offended.

Happy for ya, we always have next season ;)

• Advertisement

I am deeply offended.

Sure you are ;)

Let me just state, my thread asking the question above was deleted.

Willstev wrote: »
    Fair enough then T4TF I will give it more meaning in its own thread.
    'Ask T4TF'

Lulz, good try.

PMs Willstev, use them.

Let me just state, my thread asking the question above was deleted.

Credit where it's due. It was pretty damn quick. Spent ten seconds in another thread and came out and it was gone

'Ask T4TF'

Lulz, good try.

PMs Willstev, use them.
    You want to ask me a question then do so via pm, this is not a personal message forum Will.

You want to ask me a question then do so via pm, this is not a personal message forum Will.
    Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

If your team today were in the same situation as Man U, won the league, the ref has a bad game, and your rival fans came on here and did nothing but whinge about how the Ref was terrible , what would you say ?

i'd expect it. this soccer forum is full of be-grudgers, whiners and wind up merchants from every club.

Liverpool win the champions league = cue some united fans saying they were lucky

United win the league = cue some pool fans saying they were lucky

if chelsea win the champions league = cue some united fans "its only the league that matters, europe should only be a bonus etc etc"

i still use this place because there are some excellent posts from excellent boardsies, but the amount of be-grudgery on here is just typical of the irish attitude

BTW, for some reason PHB has recently removed that quote from his sig ;)

i'd expect it. this soccer forum is full of be-grudgers, whiners and wind up merchants from every club.

Liverpool win the champions league = cue some united fans saying they were lucky I'll admit that in 2005, Liverpool's game and style of play really suited the Champions' League and they deserved to get to the final - what happened in Istanbul I'll not mention

United win the league = cue some pool fans saying they were lucky There is no way on earth anyone can say United were lucky, best team, simple as
    if chelsea win the champions league = cue some united fans "its only the league that matters, europe should only be a bonus etc etc" Praying it won't happen
    i still use this place because there are some excellent posts from excellent boardsies, but the amount of be-grudgery on here is just typical of the irish attitude

Having said all that, I'm a United fan and I care about what United do and win...couldn't relaly give a rat's arse what any other team does unless we're playing them or they're in the title race with United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Collie D wrote: »
    Having said all that, I'm a United fan and I care about what United do and win...couldn't relaly give a rat's arse what any other team does unless we're playing them or they're in the title race with United.

thats what i'm getting at - thats the attitude to have.

if you win the league, or any other competition for that matter, your the best team. simple as that. if any other club thinks differently, then they have the next year to try and take it off them :)

And the one after that and the one after that and the one after that if you support the team I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

nipplenuts wrote: »
    You know the one, about the PL not being won on penalties.

Every time I see it it half amuses me and half reminds me of how much I despise the mindset of so many Man U fans, and therefore the club itself (Id like them like anyone else if it wasnt for the Ingerlandism so many Irish fans subscribe to whilst bizarrely hating the England national team at the same time)

Just sayin........

shane86 wrote: »
    Every time I see it it half amuses me and half reminds me of how much I despise the mindset of so many Man U fans, and therefore the club itself (Id like them like anyone else if it wasnt for the Ingerlandism so many Irish fans subscribe to whilst bizarrely hating the England national team at the same time)

Just sayin........

U do realise that most Manc fans, ie the ones who got to games etc, despise the England national team??

Hence the "Republik of Mancunia" banner in the Stretford End?? Or the Ronaldo song? Or the "Argentina" chant for Tevez? etc etc

Well in with your research though!!

That is not the case Neil, I have been at games in Mancunia many many times and in fact Ronaldo was booed on his return after his winking after the Rooney booking.

Having worked in Manchester for a couple of years I also know many many Manchester fans from Manchester and they are ardent england fans, well done on your research mind.

That is not the case Neil, I have been at games in Mancunia many many times and in fact Ronaldo was booed on his return after his winking after the Rooney booking.

Having worked in Manchester for a couple of years I also know many many Manchester fans from Manchester and they are ardent england fans, well done on your research mind.

I assume you haven't been in many Manchester pubs before United games (unless you're like Robert Carlyle's character in The 51st State) but Stand Up if you Hate England is a popular tune. Obvioulsy not everyone but there is a large anti-England element among the United support (and I am referring to the homegrown locals here)

I worked with the homegrown locals and while I would not go to games I often spent nights in pubs with some of my mates who had not got tickets when I was pulling a late one and it was too late to head home. I have heard that song on occasion but not even a quarter of the anti english sentiment that you and Neil are maintaining exists on this thread.

I worked with the homegrown locals and while I would not go to games I often spent nights in pubs with some of my mates who had not got tickets when I was pulling a late one and it was too late to head home. I have heard that song on occasion but not even a quarter of the anti english sentiment that you and Neil are maintaining exists on this thread.

Once again you have picked me up on one thing and imply that I'm going on about. I maintain nothing, I merely stated a fact. I also pointed out that it was not a majority. Read posts before you pick them apart please.

There's plenty of anti-English sentiment within the Man United support and the majority of United fans rallied behind Ronaldo as they did for Beckham when the press and other fans turned on him.

There aren't many 'Englanders' who would chant 'Argentina'. That is obvious. In fact, that's a chant that winds up many of the Englanders from other teams' supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

What are you talking about Will. This thread was started by somebody else saying that United only gave away one penalty all season in the prem. That pen was against another one of the big 4, and I said that there was no conspiracy. I assume that this is not what you are referring to on this thread ? I do not think that your post has much relevance on this thread about something entirely different TBH but please feel free to show me the error of my ways.

If you're so concerned how come you haven't mentioned the fact that Everton have only been awarded one peno all season. That one actually came today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

U do realise that most Manc fans, ie the ones who got to games etc, despise the England national team??

Hence the "Republik of Mancunia" banner in the Stretford End?? Or the Ronaldo song? Or the "Argentina" chant for Tevez? etc etc

Well in with your research though!!

Why the **** do they despise their own national team? If I were English Id probably despise the cockyness of alot of my fellow supporters and the media overhyping our chances, but why would I hate the team? Thats another reason Ive regarded them as a bunch of jokers, the "made England look sh1te" chant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

shane86 wrote: »
    Why the **** do they despise their own national team? If I were English Id probably despise the cockyness of alot of my fellow supporters and the media overhyping our chances, but why would I hate the team? Thats another reason Ive regarded them as a bunch of jokers, the "made England look sh1te" chant.

They don't hate the team. That's absolute rubbish. I know firsthand. Don't take everything at face value. That chant is in jest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement