Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On PHB's siggie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

shane86 wrote: »
    Why the **** do they despise their own national team? If I were English Id probably despise the cockyness of alot of my fellow supporters and the media overhyping our chances, but why would I hate the team? Thats another reason Ive regarded them as a bunch of jokers, the "made England look sh1te" chant.

There are reasons. A couple below

1. United are the team they support week in week out. You'll see a lot of the EL fans on here wouldn't exactl be massive Ireland fans either but that's a different thread.

2. Stand up if you Hate Man U was a regular feature of the England fans' repertoire

3. The shocking crap that David Beckham had to put up with after France 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I did not start the thread Pred, did you read the post you quoted ? And I am willing to bet that you only found out a few minutes ago that Everton have only had one pen given (although that is completely different to the topic of this thread)

And Collie, here are a couple of quotes for ya

"U do realise that most Manc fans, ie the ones who got to games etc, despise the England national team??"
    Collie D wrote: »
    I assume you haven't been in many Manchester pubs before United games wrong (unless you're like Robert Carlyle's character in The 51st State wrong ) but Stand Up if you Hate England is a popular tune That may well be the case but I have heard it infrequently and I have probably been in many of thos pubs more than you have . Obvioulsy not everyone but there is a large anti-England element among United support and I maintain that you are misrepresenting the truth, when you say large do you mean 1 in 2, 3, 4, 5, 100 ? (and I am referring to the homegrown locals here)

seems that predhead agrees with me on this one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Am I the only one who is bemused by all of this Manc/ Scouse/ insert your own ridiculous English stereotype??

Tonight T4TF's posts have pissed many ppl off but besides the obvious, his constant references to Manchester Utd fans as mancs has pissed me off. And I know Utd fans call Liverpool fans sousers too.

This is primarily an Irish board I would have thought. Perhaps I am wrong but there are probably not that many mancs or scousers posting here. Is it that hard to type "Liverpool Fans" or "Man Utd Fans"??

/rant over

Blloody hell woo, it is just a shortening of the word Mancunian or Manchester United depending on the context and is a whole lot quicker to type that Manchester United fan (although if the abbreviation police are about perhaps I should type fanatic)

And Collie, here are a couple of quotes for ya

"U do realise that most Manc fans, ie the ones who got to games etc, despise the England national team??"

Well that's a misquote for a start as I never actually said that

seems that predhead agrees with me on this one too.

As for the rest of it I said I assume. Go check your dictionary for the definition of assume. You honestly can't expect me to know your drinking habits and haunts? You're just being ridiculous now. I said that that particular song is sung quite regularly and I stand by it, regardless of what you think. You have not made one vaild argument in this thread but instead shoot down what everyone else has to say.

As for the rest of it I said I assume. Go check your dictionary for the definition of assume. You honestly can't expect me to know your drinking habits and haunts? You're just being ridiculous now. I said that that particular song is sung quite regularly and I stand by it, regardless of what you think. You have not made one vaild argument in this thread but instead shoot down what everyone else has to say.

I never suggested you did say that, I put your post on there with your name on it so you could not miss it. And what is your issue with me putting to bed some of the completely baseless assumptions you have made ? And as for having a valid argument, surely you will agree with my first statement on this thread that there is no conspiracy to prevent pens against Man U.

That is not the case Neil, I have been at games in Mancunia many many times and in fact Ronaldo was booed on his return after his winking after the Rooney booking.

Having worked in Manchester for a couple of years I also know many many Manchester fans from Manchester and they are ardent england fans, well done on your research mind.

LOL u never cease to amaze me. First of all my "research" is attending United games, reading United fansites and drinking in United pubs in Manchester as well as talking to Manc ST holders but sure u know better.

Also nice one making up the boo'ing of Ronaldo on his return! ;) The game u are referring to, was the home game against Fulham where the first time he got the ball the Fulham section boo'ed which was heard for all of 2 seconds before the entire gorund cheered him which continued all game. I was looking out for it at the time and a lot of my mates were at it.

And for the record, any reason of contempt United fans had for Ronaldo was because of his public comments about wanting to leave, not because of his involvement in Rooneys sending off. Gary Neville said before that he never used to cheer the England national team. England matches regularly hear the chant "Stand up if u ahte Man U" and at the Bishops Blaize or the Trafford Bar u are gonna get at least one round of "Stand Up if u hate England" before every single game.

Source:

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/sport/mufc-songs-opposition.htm#england

The hatred between Manchester United and England fans is an unusual one that isn't often reported. Despite the fact over half of the national team also play for the reds, England fans still barrack and abuse them. Fans with those appalling St.George's Cross Man 'U' flags at Old Trafford are frowned upon with die-hard Reds and anti-England songs are heard at most games. The reason for this rivalry is unclear - sure, United fans have never been patriotic (hence The Republic Of Mancunia), and United away trips to Europe often involve parties with the opposition's fans (especially with the Germans - although this goes unreported). England fans, over the years, however prefer to riot and fight their way around Europe which has resulted in the English getting a name for themselves, so when United do travel to the likes of Roma, the dodgy Italian police think, "here's another English hooligan, let's give them a good belting!" Yes, United fans aren't all angels but the majority are there for the game. England fans have a hardcore of nutters who either boo or slag their team off when times are tough, throw tables and chairs in the town squares, and generally give the English, a nasty reputation. The fact that England are followed by the likes Manchester City and Bolton fans (fans from clubs who never win anything), fuels the hatred towards the national team from a large section of Reds. The away teams who come to Old Trafford have been quick to sing anti-Beckham and anti-Rooney songs, even though when they play for England, they suddenly become heroes. Beckham got death threats when he got sent off in the World Cup for England, whereas United fans stood by him. Obviously the most recent United player to get the abuse is Ronaldo after his incident with Rooney in the World Cup - the cheeky wink and winning penalty. Although Rooney and Ronaldo are close pals, England fans and United's rivals will always use that incident against Ronaldo, whereas United fans adore him even more due to the Portugal v England game. With Gabrielle Heinze playing in the United shirt, it's another opportunity for United fans to sing anti-England songs, as the defender from Argentina is a hero at the club, and obviously, England fans hate Argentina as they continue to sing about the Faulklands.

Of course...u know better.

And for the record, my Dads mate, a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder, told him that Liverpool fans and United fans have one thing they agree on, they dont support the English national team.

And as for having a valid argument, surely you will agree with my first statement on this thread that there is no conspiracy to prevent pens against Man U.

Oh here we go again. Screw it, I'm happy, my team have won. I'm off to bed, you're not gonna piss me off. Tomorrow get up and listen to this rubbish again from my workmates but I shall care even less because most of them will be handing over wads of cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Oh here we go again. Screw it, I'm happy, my team have won. I'm off to bed, you're not gonna piss me off. Tomorrow get up and listen to this rubbish again from my workmates but I shall care even less because most of them will be handing over wads of cash

You're not happy, you're bitter. And it's obvious.

• Advertisement

Predhead wrote: »
    You're not happy, you're bitter. And it's obvious.

Believe me, I'm not. I've heard this type of diatribe over and over again. Go back a page and read the bit where I said I couldn't give a toss about other teams. This is where I differ from Thanx 4 the Fish. Bitter about what, exactly. He has not given one convincing argument.

That's a bit different Neil, the Liverpool fans who do not like the English national team because a large amount of them are Irish.

And as for my research, I have never thought of it as such, I just talk to the people I know who frequent the games and live in the city and have often and will continue to drink with them, the main difference to the manchester fasn I know in the real world and the one on message boards is that Mancs in real life have a thick skin. Never let it be said however that they are real Mancs, whatever that is.

Why the **** do they despise their own national team? If I were English Id probably despise the cockyness of alot of my fellow supporters and the media overhyping our chances, but why would I hate the team? Thats another reason Ive regarded them as a bunch of jokers, the "made England look sh1te" chant.

They hate the English national team cos its a very Cockney orientated thing. They also turned on them altogether once they got sick of hearing "Stand Up if u hate Man U" sung at almost all England games and that along with the Beckham thing etc etc,.

Google it, forget what TFTF who I very much doubt frequented the Bishops Blaize/Trafford Bar or any other Man united exclusive bars in Salford with any regularity during his stay in Manchester , tells u, Im telling u this cos Ive seen it with my own two eyes in those bars. It extends on to elements of the Liverpool support too btw....the Cockney thing being the reason.

That's a bit different Neil, the Liverpool fans who do not like the English national team because a large amount of them are Irish.

And as for my research, I have never thought of it as such, I just talk to the people I know who frequent the games and live in the city and have often and will continue to drink with them, the main difference to the manchester fasn I know in the real world and the one on message boards is that Mancs in real life have a thick skin. Never let it be said however that they are real Mancs, whatever that is.

No. This guy who my Dad is friends with is Liverpool through and through. His brother died at Hillsborough, he has a very deep rooted connection to the club and a more dedicated fan u will not find. And he said it to my Dad thathe does not support the English national team. Its not cos he's Irish, its cos of the fact that the English national team is very cockney orientated.

When u were in Manchester did u drink in the city centre or did u venture over to Salford and go to the Blaize, the Trafford etc? I was in the Blaize last time I was over for the Barcelona match and "Stand Up if u hate England" got sang loud and proud for a solid 40-50 seconds by pretty much the entire pub, barmen included!! Now Im saying there is a large anti-England sentiment amongst the hardcore United fans and Im not gonna have a Liverpool fan who I highly doubt mixes with the United fans as a group, or anyone else tell me different when Ive been there and sang the ****in thing with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What the heck was this thread about again? Someone looking for some stats or something?

why do you very much doubt such a thing Neil, because you say so. I work and played footy in Manchester for quite some time and unlike many Mancs on this forum I have spent quite a lot of time in Manchester. I have also been in many pubs surrounding Ot although you are correct in that I have only been in those pubs mentioned and a couple of others on the odd occasion on a match day. Of course I do not wear my colours and I do not really talk to many other people than the lads I have gone in with (they love the atmosphere - sweaty men and a wait for beer doesn't do it for me) but I have not heard as often as suggested the anti england songs that you maintain are always sang there.

• Advertisement

why do you very much doubt such a thing Neil, because you say so. I work and played footy in Manchester for quite some time and unlike many Mancs on this forum I have spent quite a lot of time in Manchester. I have also been in many pubs surrounding Ot although you are correct in that I have only been in those pubs mentioned and a couple of others on the odd occasion on a match day. Of course I do not wear my colours and I do not really talk to many other people than the lads I have gone in with (they love the atmosphere - sweaty men and a wait for beer doesn't do it for me) but I have not heard as often as suggested the anti england songs that you maintain are always sang there.

U clearly loved those years of your life seeing your passionate hatred of all things Manchester ;) I doubt it cos as a United fan if god forbid I ever ended up Living in Liverpool I wouldnt be caught dead anywhere near a Liverpool F.C. pub, and I think almost all fans are that way.

Have u heard the Ronaldo song sang in the pubs you were at? Easiest example cos I hear it on TV every single week. They sang it for 90 mins straight at Stamford Bridge last year. Here is the song in case u dont know it. Thats the FA Cup semi theyre singin it at. Have u ever seen the hatred that fans who brings St Georges cross flags to games get? I have, generally the theme of it is "get that ****in ****e out of here".

Ok first off, I didnt say they always get sang there. The Ronaldo song does get sung every single game though.....

He plays on the left,
    He plays on the right,
    That boy Ronaldo
    Makes England look ****e

Secondly, I didnt say it was hugely prominent, I said its there. In retort to your claim that it wasnt. I then proceeded to provide u with links and all else to back it up but yet Im still being discredited. It an undercurrent. United fans love United so they predominantly sing United songs as well as songs slaggin off Leeds, City and Liverpool and occasionally Chelski.
    I have heard "Stand Up if u Hate England" sang loud and proud after a "Rendition of Stand Up for the Champions" in OT at a game I was at between United and Blackburn, and Ive heard it pretty much every time Ive been to the Blaize. However its not a regular in the catalog of songs, u wouldnt hear it more than once.

They pay me I go where I am sent and as for not going near a liverpool pub, why not FFS, at the end of the day, if the game is on and there are a bunch of people I like going there then I will head along. I have no issue with Manc fans, I have only an issue with people who cannot argue a point when it is put to them.

And as for the song, if it is sung onece in a night then maybe they were siging it before I got there, I doubt it was after I left as we have watched the game and drank with locals until the wee small hours.

They pay me I go where I am sent and as for not going near a liverpool pub, why not FFS, at the end of the day, if the game is on and there are a bunch of people I like going there then I will head along. I have no issue with Manc fans, I have only an issue with people who cannot argue a point when it is put to them.

And as for the song, if it is sung onece in a night then maybe they were siging it before I got there, I doubt it was after I left as we have watched the game and drank with locals until the wee small hours.

Long story. I suppose I could handle it but really I wouldnt find much fun in being the only one there not goin nuts when a goal went in!

Like I say its not a regular fixture but it does get sung. The Ronaldo song is the main one though, every single game, cant miss it!

I understand that but that is just a statement of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Gotta say, after this thread,

I fúcking <3 T4TF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

d0e20eec808347ce07d43a7728277421.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I suppose I could handle it but really I wouldnt find much fun in being the only one there not goin nuts when a goal went in!

Me and you should go over ans watch a game in the Sandon next year :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Me and you should go over ans watch a game in the Sandon next year :D

Yea why not! If I make it out alive u can come to the Bishops Blaize with me the week after.

If we;re both alive 2 weeks later then, frankly, its a fckin miracle!! :D:D:D:D

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=220035.0

From a Liverpool (the Liverpool) fannsite....1st posters says the summer will be boring without England in the Euros, the rest of them slag off England.

Just a sample:
    No breaking news flash on Sky sports news telling us John Terry has wiped his arse. Thank ****
    Just like I said...Cockney orientated, theres not the same passion up North for the Engerland national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

United away trips to Europe often involve parties with the opposition's fans (especially with the Germans - although this goes unreported

I would use the old rolleyes smiley here, only its gone, and the new one is a load of sh1t. Anyone who buys the bull about Spanish/Italian/French/pick your Johnny Foreigner police force beating up innocent cockney unoirah fans abroad it having a laugh. Man U fans abroad are angels, of course. I suppose it was Italians throwing coins and such at Nelson Dida last time they played.
    The fact that England are followed by the likes Manchester City and Bolton fans (fans from clubs who never win anything).........

Hmm. There it is, the 3169th reason I have to hate United (it originally kicked off sometime around 1995 when someone told me Peter Schmichael had never conceded a goal. Its grown over the years....)

The away teams who come to Old Trafford have been quick to sing anti-Beckham and anti-Rooney songs, even though when they play for England, they suddenly become heroes.

Like the way Newky fans booed Gerrard in the first Pool game after the Croatia match for failing to score against the Croats?

Or the way Celtic players, or fans like James McFadden, are a hero to the whole of Scotland after his goal in Paris?

Fans are fickle, get over it ffs. When Beckham missed the peno in 04 against Portugal, did evey Man U fan in Ireland collapse their head into their hands? Unless they have some severely unpatroitic streak, of course not, they jumped around the pub like a lunatic like the rest of us. If some Man U fans prefer their club over their national team it is because they are glory hunters who would rather see a squad of mainly foreign players win titles than follow their own national team through the highs and the lows, simple as. Real national team fans watch every game from the friendlies to the clash against the group favourites, mainly to assess the form of the team. Even that article points out that Bolton and City fans follow a team (i.e. the national team) who have a small but tbh better chance of lifting a trophy than their club. Effectively admitting "we dont follow England, why bovvah when Man U will win at least one trrophy in the next 2 years max". How many Man U fans bother getting up at 3am to watch pre season tours in Asia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Right, I try not to get involved in these but I just had to jump in.

Firstly, United were the best team in England and deserved the league this year ... but it was close, oh so close.

That said, I don't think ref decisions would have had an outcome on the league really. Man U's chief skill this year seemed to be scoring goals when they needed them, I fully believe that if they needed another result or another goal it would have come.

That said, it's completely and totally incorrect to say that ref's don't favour

a:The bigger teams

b:British players

Off the top of my head, I think that United conceded 1 penalty and two red cards this year. If it was a European ref on Sunday it would be two penalty's and three red cards, possibly four when Rooney called the ref 'a fu*king prick'.

This is another issue I have a problem with:

Ashley Cole turns his back and refuses to face the ref having committed a red card offence - response = "Ashley ... Ashley .... Ashley, turn around and face me or you'll get sent off"

Refs clamp down on disrespect and send Mascherano for protesting while on a yellow card.

Rooney the other day screams at the ref and calls him 'a fuc*ing prick'. Ref books him. FIFA sending off offence no 6: "uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures". There's a difference between that and dissent which is just a yellow.

Mascherano got the letter of the law, Rooney didn't, Cole didn't, Scholes didn't, Terry never does either.

This isn't anti-United, I can't wait till Walcott, Randall and the other young players at Arsenal become great so we get the British advantage as well as the top team one from the refs.

Basically what I'm saying the standard of refereeing in Britain is about as good(and impartial) as the standard of commentating that you get from Jamie Redknapp.

The plus is that the England international team will always get sent off at major tournaments because they're used to being given free reign on the pitch.

I would use the old rolleyes smiley here, only its gone, and the new one is a load of sh1t. Anyone who buys the bull about Spanish/Italian/French/pick your Johnny Foreigner police force beating up innocent cockney unoirah fans abroad it having a laugh. Man U fans abroad are angels, of course. I suppose it was Italians throwing coins and such at Nelson Dida last time they played.

I believe that Dida got hit by a flare playing Inter? U can pick up on isolated incidents of a handful of fans getting arrested if u want to, Im not getting into all that Michael Shields side of debating about fans from various clubs but it goes nowhere and the bottom line is EVERY club has muppet fans, deal with it.

Hmm. There it is, the 3169th reason I have to hate United (it originally kicked off sometime around 1995 when someone told me Peter Schmichael had never conceded a goal. Its grown over the years....)

Thats a lot of reasons, its a pity u give Man United so much of your brain time when u dont like them. I suppose its ok to hate when some naive fan in 95 (i assume the 86 in ur name is your birthyear meanin in 95 u were 11 when people are in fact at their maturity peak) tells u that, but its perfectly tolerable to listen to "this is our year" every year and "best midfield in the world" the constant reminders of history as if we hadnt heard it the other 250million times u guys say it and all the other rubbish we listen to on a constant basis now when we are all in the height of our immaturity in 2008 yes?

Like the way Newky fans booed Gerrard in the first Pool game after the Croatia match for failing to score against the Croats?

Or the way Celtic players, or fans like James McFadden, are a hero to the whole of Scotland after his goal in Paris?

I didnt write that btw, I quoted it as back up to my claim that United fans hate England. The logic or lack of, for their reasons for it is not why I quoted it, it was to prove a point to a poster who basically implied I was lyig.
    Effectively admitting "we dont follow England, why bovvah when Man U will win at least one trrophy in the next 2 years max". How many Man U fans bother getting up at 3am to watch pre season tours in Asia?

Ur bitterness has come through tenfold here. I follow United. Ill follow them whether theyre top of the league or bottom of the conference. Just like my Dad supported them all his life. Its about the love of the club, and naturally lie any normal sane fan, I want my club to win. Its not my problem that this season and last were years where United are winnign things. Im not gonna make any apologies just because u dont like it. Before that we were finishing bottom of our group in the CL, if we were all such glory fans then why wasnt there a mass exodus to go support Chelsea? U claim glory fans as if you're a fan of some small repressed club who dont know what success is and yet your club has more leagues and Champions Leagues and yet its US who are the glory fans just cos ur team cant win a raffle these days and we're winning things now and listening to the word history being thorwn at us from all angles as if United have no history?

And honestly, do u get up at 3 am to watch Liverpool friendlies? Do u personally know yourself how many United fans get up at 3 am? Do u go door to door checking? Are u gonna pluck a stat about that outta your the air now that i asked u?

For the record, I went to Amsterdam and paid a lot of money in doing so to watch United play pre season football which was of no importance or relevence to anything. Glory fan? Yea some glory watching friendly games in a foreign country (I would also use rolleyes here) The only set of fans other than Ajax fans who shwoed up to that tournament were United fans. No Inter fans, no Porto fans and not a huge amount of Ajax fans either.

Point is the reasons u just gave for hating United can apply to pretty much any other club depending on which perspective ur viewing from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

As far as I can remember ShaneU is not a fan of any team(but has a liking of Liverpool) but is a ABU before anything.

Must suck to be you buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

When Beckham missed the peno in 04 against Portugal, did evey Man U fan in Ireland collapse their head into their hands? Unless they have some severely unpatroitic streak, of course not, they jumped around the pub like a lunatic like the rest of us.

Eh... no. Tbh I find people who celebrate other teams/countries losing when it has no impact on their own sad.

Ireland weren't in the 04 euros so I watched it as a football fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mad_Max wrote: »
    teams/countries losing when it has no impact on their own sad.

really?....REALLY???

Come on, a little bit of you doesn't feel happy when your rivals lose? You should go watch rugby or something.

No, REALLY! Why should England or any other national team be a rival when we aren't playing in the same competition.

The only rivals Ireland have are the ones they are playing against, in that case yes i celebrate. But if Ireland aren't involved then I leave the Xenophobia at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Unearthly wrote: »
    As far as I can remember ShaneU is not a fan of any team(but has a liking of Liverpool) but is a ABU before anything.

Therein lies the confusion :) Theres a poster called ShaneU who, in his sig, mentions his name on some online user gaming yoke is Shane86. All a big concidence, I dont do online gaming myself.

I believe that Dida got hit by a flare playing Inter? U can pick up on isolated incidents of a handful of fans getting arrested if u want to, Im not getting into all that Michael Shields side of debating about fans from various clubs but it goes nowhere and the bottom line is EVERY club has muppet fans, deal with it.

Fair enough.

Ur bitterness has come through tenfold here. I follow United. Ill follow them whether theyre top of the league or bottom of the conference. Just like my Dad supported them all his life.

Great. However, I know ex Leeds fans who have defected, to all the teams in the world, to Man United. I respect those who stick through the good and bad but lets face it, if there was some drastic downturn in form after Fergie leaves you will not find Irish pubs full of red jerseys in 2015 cheering on Man U as they try to beat Cheltenham in an L2 play off.

Before that we were finishing bottom of our group in the CL, if we were all such glory fans then why wasnt there a mass exodus to go support Chelsea?

Because, as many Man U fans here never stop pointing out, when they arent winning the CL is only a joke competition for 4th rate teams like Liverpool to have a little bit of fun and limelight.
    U claim glory fans as if you're a fan of some small repressed club who dont know what success is and yet your club has more leagues and Champions Leagues and yet its US who are the glory fans just cos ur team cant win a raffle these days and we're winning things now and listening to the word history being thorwn at us from all angles as if United have no history?

Liverpool arent my club. They are my favourite team in the EPL, but seeing as I have zero connection to the city through blood, birth or nationality, they are not my club.

And honestly, do u get up at 3 am to watch Liverpool friendlies? [\quote]

No. However, the night of one of the USA friendlies Ireland played last year was the same night as the CL final. Only Id been on the piss all day and had to go to work the next day Id have gladly stayed up to watch it.
    For the record, I went to Amsterdam and paid a lot of money in doing so to watch United play pre season football which was of no importance or relevence to anything.

Im sure a tonne of Man U lads went.

Amsterdam is a great lads trip destination. Would thousands of Mancs have went to, I dunno, some backwater in Finalnd for a friendly?

Amsterdam is a great lads trip destination. Would thousands of Mancs have went to, I dunno, some backwater in Finalnd for a friendly?

Fans don't have limitless bank accounts. Pointless argument asking whether or not fans would travel to a friendly in Finland FFS. You'd barely find a handful of supporters in any club who would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

www.rightresult.net

now put up or shut up.

WE ARE CHAMPIONS AGAIN

Unearthly wrote: »

Its good to be me.
    Great. However, I know ex Leeds fans who have defected, to all the teams in the world, to Man United. I respect those who stick through the good and bad but lets face it, if there was some drastic downturn in form after Fergie leaves you will not find Irish pubs full of red jerseys in 2015 cheering on Man U as they try to beat Cheltenham in an L2 play off.

Not my problem that the Leeds lads picked their biggest rivals to go cheer on! I agree u wont but but the exact same applies to Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. I wouldnt support anyone else ever cos Id never feel the same passion. For example, all the talk of how special "Anfield on a European night" is and yet IIRC, and I read this on RAWK today actually, Liverpool were having trouble filling their ground on Euro nights before 2005.

Because, as many Man U fans here never stop pointing out, when they arent winning the CL is only a joke competition for 4th rate teams like Liverpool to have a little bit of fun and limelight.

No. United fans have always valued the league more and case in point is if u read the United thread from a few days back I asked which the lads would prefer now that we're in the CL final. And the overwhelming majority was that the league was the preference. I highly rate the CL but its a cup competition, I always prefer the league, thats not designed to rag on anyone else, Ill say the same even if we win in Moscow. I think where that line comes from is the way certain Liverpool fans think that 1 win and suddenly theyre the greatest team in living history and United fans on here responding pointing out that great teams are competitive in both competitions. Its a daily argument here, u cant have missed it!

Liverpool arent my club. They are my favourite team in the EPL, but seeing as I have zero connection to the city through blood, birth or nationality, they are not my club.
    Ok, so whilst Liverpool are "not your club" u do admit to having a pro Liverpool bias.

No. However, the night of one of the USA friendlies Ireland played last year was the same night as the CL final. Only Id been on the piss all day and had to go to work the next day Id have gladly stayed up to watch it.
    Credit to u, if I wasnt working for United friendlies Id stay up too. I think u proved my point for me in that not all of us can afford to stay up until 3 am watching friendly matches but that doesnt make us any less of fans.

Im sure a tonne of Man U lads went.

Thats highly unfair. Asia is also an attractive place to go, as is USA, South Africa and various other places United have played matches in. Still a helluva lot of money and effort required to get to those places. A lot more than booking a 2 weel holiday in a resort Ill tell u that much. I had already organised a 6 week trip to South East Asia when I found out about United being there, so I went to my travel agent and re shuffled my flight plans so that I could stop off in Amsterdam on the way back and then stayed there for 3 nights so I could see United play in a friendly tournament. Now that cost me a helluva lot more than coming home and watching on TV would have. And yet you're still trying to imply that because its Amsterdam and not Beirut that somehow the fans that traveled are still only glory fans. United filled the away enclosure in the arena and if they werent there there would have been absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Fair enough.

I never heard about Dida getting hit by coins when they played Manu, any links on this?

That's true of every team in every sport in the world.

I don't think anyone on the soccer forum has called the CL a joke competition (apart from it's naming scheme), let alone Utd fans.

For most fans, league 1st, CL close second, FA cup 3rd, Carling a distant 4th.

I'm sure you'll be a Liverpool fan when they next beat Man Utd. (gotta happen next season, I think if Liverpool don't win one in 8 meetings, they should just cut themselves off from England and start playing in a merseyside league)

I've stayed up all night with work the next day to watch the start of the F1 season in Australia, and been up early in the morning to watch Utd/Ireland when I've been over in the states on holidays.

However, what you're saying is complete and utter pish, I'm sure everyone who follows Ireland would stay up and watch the matches if they had nothing to do the next day, committed people (Xavi6 in Oz for example), do stay up and do both.

Utd are well supported around the world, and have their fans follow them everywhere, including the less desirable destinations. I'd be surprised if any of their trips to eastern europe aren't sold out. Most of the big PL clubs have this in common.

Advertisement