Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agggggh installing 3 mobile broadband on my laptop

Options
  • 11-05-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

ok so yeah from the megathread i see alot of people have 3 related problems lol but i haven't really until now, like the speeds were mostly always better than my old phone line connection.
    but now i gots a windows vista dell laptop and i cant seem to install the 3 broadband?

can you help me pretty please!?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seregrail7

What exactly is the problem? Is it even trying to install when you plug it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

OMG I have just spent an hour on the phone with the indian man who tried his best to help, but nothing would work, i think i screwed it up by downloading the driver which the 3 website told me to do!!!!
    all that comes up is found new hardware which is not ment to come up says helpline man, what should come up is auto run thing?

??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

aliqueenb wrote: »
    OMG I have just spent an hour on the phone with the indian man who tried his best to help, but nothing would work, i think i screwed it up by downloading the driver which the 3 website told me to do!!!!
    all that comes up is found new hardware which is not ment to come up says helpline man, what should come up is auto run thing?

??????

Go to my computer then see if their is new drive. If there is click open and look for the set up file.

nope nothing comes up on my computer?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Happened to bosses machine too. Also Dell with vista. Worked in the end after running msconfig to remove some startup programs. I think I also stopped some non-microsoft services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Same with my GF's mothers Dell with Vista still a night mare to get working.

Make sure the modem is plugged in to the same usb port everytime and before you power the laptop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

on the vodafone website they dont actually say that the huaweii e220 modem is compatible with windows vista! they list only as far as windows XP sp2. maybe three customers have been sold a product which is not compatible? vodafone list their other smaller modem as being vista compatible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

this is a common problem with dell laptops, the dell quick set program prevents the auto install of the 3G modem, you need to uninstall quick set or disable it thru msconfig > startup programs ...

are the o2 or vodafone ones any better cos they are moe expensive?

the dell quick set will prevent the O2 / Vodafone ones working too! The O2 now offer speeds of 7.2Mb, does anyone know if vodafone intend upgrading their modems to this speed??

• Advertisement

do you have to uninstall the dell quickset then, that seems way risky!

the only other way is to disable it in the startup programs, id uninstall it if i were you, you can always download it again if you think you need it

oh i'm nervous about uninstalling stuff, i mean i only got the laptop on wednesday, i seriuosly do not want to screw it up

you can always let the quickset as it is, if you are happy to not use the 3G modem .. only two choices really!

woooo great choices there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

do you have to uninstall the dell quickset then, that seems way risky!

No you don't have uninstall anything...

Before you start doing this, make sure the sim card is inserted correctly into the modem and you are using the short cable.....

You need to disable a few things.....here's how to do it....follow my instructions to the letter or you'll end up in trouble...

1. Plug out your 3 modem..

2 Go down to start, in the search box type in msconfig and hit return...

3. A pop will appear, click ok to coninue

4. A new window appers with a few tabs on it.....look for the 2 that say "Services" and "startup"

5. Click on Services......you'll see a lot of ticked boxes, On the bottom of the panel there's a little tick box on it's own that says "hide all microsoft services" tick that, once you have that ticked, tick the button beside it that says disable all......ok your finished in services tab...

6 Click on Start up....hit disable all and then hit ok...

7 You will then asked to restart your computer, resart it.

8 When you restart a notification will appear that you have blocked some windows start up programs, ignore this..

9. Now plug in your 3 modem, wait a miute if it dosen't start installing try it in a different usb port....it really should be working now :)

There's no risk if you follow my instructions...all your doing is stopping any programs running that don't need to be running. All programs will still work but only when you click on them....your computer shuld feel a little faster...:cool:

the only problem with this approach is that you still wont get any benefit from the quickset utility as its disabled on startup. If you decide to launch the utility manually you will stop the modem working (unless you have already connected to the internet)
    corkcomp

corkcomp wrote: »
    the only problem with this approach is that you still wont get any benefit from the quickset utility as its disabled on startup. If you decide to launch the utility manually you will stop the modem working (unless you have already connected to the internet)
    corkcomp

No harm to take it off.....i've it taken off 3 of my laptops....

why the short cable, the indian man said the long one?

why the short cable, the indian man said the long one?

Are you using an old computer 3+, if not the short cable is all you need, the long cable is for old computers the second usb is used for assistant power for old computers, new ones don't need it, you definatly don't need it with a modern Dell...

I've set up a good few of these modems, don't mind the script money on the other side of the world.....:pac: Use the short cable!!

• Advertisement

No you don't have uninstall anything...

Before you start doing this, make sure the sim card is inserted correctly into the modem and you are using the short cable.....

You need to disable a few things.....here's how to do it....follow my instructions to the letter or you'll end up in trouble...

1. Plug out your 3 modem..

2 Go down to start, in the search box type in msconfig and hit return...

3. A pop will appear, click ok to coninue

4. A new window appers with a few tabs on it.....look for the 2 that say "Services" and "startup"

5. Click on Services......you'll see a lot of ticked boxes, On the bottom of the panel there's a little tick box on it's own that says "hide all microsoft services" tick that, once you have that ticked, tick the button beside it that says disable all......ok your finished in services tab...

6 Click on Start up....hit disable all and then hit ok...

7 You will then asked to restart your computer, resart it.

8 When you restart a notification will appear that you have blocked some windows start up programs, ignore this..

9. Now plug in your 3 modem, wait a miute if it dosen't start installing try it in a different usb port....it really should be working now :)

There's no risk if you follow my instructions...all your doing is stopping any programs running that don't need to be running. All programs will still work but only when you click on them....your computer shuld feel a little faster...:cool:
    nope did that all before and it still doesn't work, helpline man said an auto run.exe should come up but it doesn't, all that comes up is a found new hardware thing and i tried over the phone with indian dude searching for driver, in like system 32 folder or something and it said it found it but then said an error came up and it says roxiocdr4?
    is that this roxio thing ye've mentioned b4

ive seen the issue on over 300 dell laptops, un-install the quick set and the modem should work, unless the the tech support guy messed up anything else while talking you thru troubleshooting

ok this is getting very not funny now, i unistalled the roxio thing so the error msg thing didnt happen this time like it installed with the shortcut on the desktop coming up but no it always just says data modem invalid, oh yeah its real invalid alright, lol i'm using it now like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Go to control panel / system devices and see if it shows up as an unlisted device. Try to reinstall driver.

Theres' a thread in the mobiles & PDA forum where Cullabula has installed a driver from three.co.uk that seems to work much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i have also installed that firmware and mobile partner dashboard for the e220 modem mentioned by Culabula and so far it seems to have doubled the speed of loading pages and general browsing!

i have just done it so will have to see what its like with downloading larger files but it is looking good so far!

Advertisement