Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Premiership and MOTD showing two games at once

• 11-05-2008 10:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

WTF? Am I the only one that thinks this is just stupid? I mean whats the point? Just cause they played earlier at the same time. The Premiership on RTE was particularly annoying. Bad form guys, bad form.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL, they just showed an image of a guy my age at the Chelsea game, with the biggest man tits I have ever seen.

Why do fat English people persist with not actually wearing any upper garments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's called cross-cutting. If it's good enough for the movies then it's good enough for you young man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Showing the Utd and Chelsea games as the main games is stupid anyway. They were both on UK tv live and there was plaenty of excitment elswhere.

Do they really think any Utd or Chelsea fans avoided any news of football all day so they could watch it on MOTD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Stekelly wrote: »
    Showing the Utd and Chelsea games as the main games is stupid anyway. They were both on UK tv live and there was plaenty of excitment elswhere.

Do they really think any Utd or Chelsea fans avoided any news of football all day so they could watch it on MOTD?

I did actually...thanks for ruining it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There is an arguemnt to say there was point showing *this particular* title decider in this way as the goals for Chl-Bol & Wig-Man were scored in an order that led to absolutely no dramatic significance.

There could have been some value by showing the highlights of Chl-Bol first and then following it with Wig-Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think C4's Football Italia did something similar back in '02 ....but it was a 3-way involving Inter, Juve, Lazio? Might've been live too...? Very exciting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

MOTD do it every season for last matches.

UTV did it for the Championship with all games. Was very well edited with lots of crowd shots. Quite exciting to watch. Pity about the rest of their football coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Red button and Goal Alert ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I couldn't pick which game to watch so I watched Sky Sports News instead. Far more exciting than any of the three live televised games IMO.
    Phil Thompson, what a legend.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    I couldn't pick which game to watch so I watched Sky Sports News instead. Far more exciting than any of the three live televised games IMO.
    Phil Thompson, what a legend.

Good old blinkered Phil. He probably didn't even know there was a title and relegation at stick but was worried about Liverpool keeping a clean sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

what matches have they shown so far then? United, Chelsea, Brum, Fulham, Reading?

Have I missed Middlesborough's destruction of Citeh? :D

DaveMcG wrote: »
    what matches have they shown so far then? United, Chelsea, Brum, Fulham, Reading?

Have I missed Middlesborough's destruction of Citeh? :D

Not yet...think they've set aside half an hour for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i dont like it myself but i cant think of a btter way to show the last day. considering i missed the live footie today is was first time i could see the avantage of doing it.

but i would still like to see it in its normal format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It makes perfect sense to me... I can't think of a better way to show the drama of the final game than by cross cutting the games into one package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

woooo232 wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense to me... I can't think of a better way to show the drama of the final game than by cross cutting the games into one package.

But thats my point. There is no drama by half ten on the night of the games, everyone knows what happened.

The only interestign things about the Chelsea game was the 2 goals. The Utd game had the same but with 2 peno shouts and what should have been Scholes 2nd yellow.

City game on the other hand had 9 goals, a sending off (and a ruck in the crowd at the end )and wasnt shown live anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

City game on the other hand had 9 goals, a sending off (and a ruck in the crowd at the end )and wasnt shown live anywhere.

Because it was comparatively insignificant. MOTD and The Premiership have to have the time slots and length of coverage of each game mapped out before the games even start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

But thats my point. There is no drama by half ten on the night of the games, everyone knows what happened.

Ah but sure not everyone has Sky or access to it. Therefore whilst most ppl will know the results many ppl will not have seen any of the action. So it is fair enough I think.

And these games mean something. Are you really suggesting that Utd winning the league should be broadcast after a nothing game just because there were more goals in that game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Downing, Rochemback and Elano all scored absolute crackers.:eek:

SantryRed wrote: »
    Downing, Rochemback and Elano all scored absolute crackers.:eek:

Indeed...and I always thought Downing was a one-trick pony

• Advertisement

Surprised they didn't show the aggro with the City fans on MOTD. I know you could argue that they should only be concentrating on the football but as Xavi6 has pointed out elsewhere this could have an impact on whether City get into the UEFA Cup through th Fair Play league. I'm also a firm believer in not sweeping this kind of thing under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Collie D wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't show the aggro with the City fans on MOTD. I know you could argue that they should only be concentrating on the football but as Xavi6 has pointed out elsewhere this could have an impact on whether City get into the UEFA Cup through th Fair Play league. I'm also a firm believer in not sweeping this kind of thing under the carpet.

tend not to though it was probably only small scale, I haven't seen it reported anywhere yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its called a narrative. And is a perfectly acceptable technique for the day that was in it.

Some people are so literal in the way they see the world.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Jaysus, yet again they showed my oul one and my granny would do better punditry. Ida watched the paint dry on my shed over it only its too dark outside.

Was that Hugh Grant shown in the crowd at the Fulham match?

Yep. Local Sloane after all.

Mike.

shane86 wrote: »
    Was that Hugh Grant shown in the crowd at the Fulham match?

Showed him a couple of weeks ago as well. Can't remember who they were playing but with his new hair and glasses he looked like Fabio Capello> Laughed because I was wondering wtf Capello would be doing watching Fulham

Danny Murphy!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They have always done this if two or more teams were involved in a tittle fight or relegation battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like it. Not everyone has setanta or sky. And some people (maybe a small percentage) would have watched MOTD without knowing the results - in which case it makes the whole thing much more exciting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement