Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whoa! Multiplayer kicks ass!

• 11-05-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I'm usually a single player campaign lover, but I got the multiplayer finally working on COD4 just now, and even thought I was slaughtered the game it was pretty class!

So then, any quick tips for a Newb online?

I used to play MOH on LAN the whole time on college, and from what I learned there it was knowledge of your maps and picking the best gun. Anything specifically COD-related?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Work your way through each of the weapon challenges. It's easy to become attached to one gun, but if you do each of the challenges you'll fly through the ranks and unlock the lot of them.

Don't camp, don't bother sniping unless you're clearing the sniper challenges. Learn where the sniper spots are though, most of the shít snipers in the game tend to return to the same spots so they're easy killings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

The gc36 is a very good gun to earn. With deep impact perks and stopping power perks it has a very high accuracy and good fire rate and stopping power. It is like the m16 with a faster and longer fire rate.

Each sever has its ideal gun and perk so build 6 classes of weapons.
    i.e Fast and deadly submachine guns for tight small maps to powerful, fast machine guns for wide open maps with weak protection.

Tip* The m16 is a very good gun, and you live longer with juggernaught.

Tip* You can track the status of your player in game tracker per server....

http://www.gametracker.com/server/193.47.83.171:28936/player/CODE4/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

^^ lol the G36C is easily the worst gun in the game whatever you do dont use it , it may look the best but it sucks hard. MP5 is a very easy gun to start using, then try a M4 or AK47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

G3. Can't go wrong. MP5 with double tap as well is unreal for killing in urban maps. For general all purpose though, nothing really tops the standard iron sight ak.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jimmy2180

Just when you think things can't get better, you have to look forward to prestige. The big decision is to be made then. Weapons or the pursuit of glory. lol Its an easy decision really.

• Advertisement

ToughyIRE wrote: »
    ^^ lol the G36C is easily the worst gun in the game whatever you do dont use it , it may look the best but it sucks hard. MP5 is a very easy gun to start using, then try a M4 or AK47.

MP5 is good for urban or close combat being rapid and powerful, but it is not accurate or powerful at long range. The gc36 is both at long range.

I have come first ( out of 20 ) in a half dozen games using the g36c...

It has serious disadvantages if you use it on the wrong map, but in the one or two maps it is one of the best guns. I did clarify this already in my previous post and is it not the norm to build a class to suit a particular map or scenario?

Ak47 is again not that accurate at long range. Go onto a empty server and using a wall; Try any gun against the g36c and you will discover it has the most accurate punch at a distance. It tunnels holes into the wall at 100m bullet onto bullet while the mp5 sprinkles bullets everywhere.

With bandolier it can shoot forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I couldn't disagree more. I find that it is a great weapon for close and medium range. It's power and accuracy are unreal and it tears through walls/obstacles.

When did I say in my post to use the MP5 as a fecking sniper?
    Obiviously its for close combat, strafing and spraying, I took that ye would recongnise this with some common sense! I have played alot of scrims and matches and I will tell you now that no high player of this game uses the G36C.
    whatever the OP thinks or does he will probably find one particular gun he likes and only use that, thats a very good way of gaining ranks fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Nah I also think the G3 is absolute rubbish. Maybe I just can't use it.

My advice would be to mix it up, use your nades, claymores and c4 when you can.

Don't be afraid to snipe, and NEVER underestimate the power of the gripped RPD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

ive got marksman III in nearly all the guns now but the g3, its pretty hard. in hardcore with a red dot sight now its doing pretty well, but in in normal mode i found it pretty bad.

EDIT: and whats the deal with C4, is it me or is it totally useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

g36c is a automatic rifle, g3 is a single shot gun. And they both suck. The g36c's rate of fire is too slow and accuracy takes a huge dip at long distance. G3 is single shot and too weak. In a game where LMG's can out shoot snipers its pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Well so far I've made it to Lance Corporal Lvl two, not so bad after only three days playing!

For starters I'm getting comfortable with the M16, small clip, but accruate fire over distance and the grenade launcher is handy out.

(One lad had a headset in a game ther and every second word out of him was 'f*#k'. Immature gimp, luckily after coming second last in a game he went off to sulk by himself. Does that happen a lot?)

It's savagely addictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Depends on what platform you're playing the game on.

Some weapons are probably better/worse on pc/console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Scráib wrote: »
    Well so far I've made it to Lance Corporal Lvl two, not so bad after only three days playing!

For starters I'm getting comfortable with the M16, small clip, but accruate fire over distance and the grenade launcher is handy out.

(One lad had a headset in a game ther and every second word out of him was 'f*#k'. Immature gimp, luckily after coming second last in a game he went off to sulk by himself. Does that happen a lot?)

It's savagely addictive!

Welcome to Xbox Live

When did I say in my post to use the MP5 as a fecking sniper?
    Obiviously its for close combat, strafing and spraying, I took that ye would recongnise this with some common sense! I have played alot of scrims and matches and I will tell you now that no high player of this game uses the G36C.
    whatever the OP thinks or does he will probably find one particular gun he likes and only use that, thats a very good way of gaining ranks fast.
    g36c is a automatic rifle, g3 is a single shot gun. And they both suck. The g36c's rate of fire is too slow and accuracy takes a huge dip at long distance. G3 is single shot and too weak. In a game where LMG's can out shoot snipers its pointless.

It is the produced from the same company that made the MP5 (which had been phased out) and is the most advanced gun they use. It is used by many nations military. Perhaps this is all irrelevant because it's just a game but they try to replicate the real versions.

http://www.gametracker.com/?tab=cod4

The above link is a website that tracks all multiplayers. Put in your precise online name and it will list all the servers you play on.

The M3 has contributed to this but the G36c always brings me to first place. I dont know why or how. The M4 should technically be a better gun but the g36c always kills quicker and while the
    M4 has more kick, the kick offsets it at anything over mid range. The g36c is the best ASSAULT gun as it hones in on its target faster and more accurately which is esssential in a fast moving assault.

It isnt a good defence weapon but is a good long distance stand off weapon.

There are better guns and there are maps that dont suit the g36c. Any mid range maps with light walls though will find it useful. (red dot essential)

P.s http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:cV22KDorcl4J:boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message%3Fboard.id%3Dcallofduty3%26thread.id%3D317460+g36c+is+the+best+gun&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have to say on certain maps I really like the g3 and have a g36 or MP5 as backup.. :) What a class game though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Just following on the gun discussion. I find that the m16 is the the best gun for any situation by a country mile. It may not be my gun of choice, but in a competitive situation, ie a clan match, I would always fall back to it (unless its hardcore, then its m4 or g3 or uzi).

Back on topic, this is one of the better multiplayer games to have surfaced recently enough. As long as you stick to smaller servers (12-18 players max), as the maps are optimised for small teams. 50 players on CoD4 is bad craic.

M16 very nice at range and for wall-banging but its burst fire for close combats just sucks so I cant see how it would be the best all round. If your playing clan matches then now again your gona be last one alive and if I was a M16 wouldn't be the best gun then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sigear

For easy kills use M4 Carbine with red dot sight, 3 nade perk, stopping power(that increases bullet damage) and I usually use extreme conditioning, to just spring around and shoot... easy as pie to kill like that, for me anyway :D

Boo 3 nades, tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I have never been in a position where the fact that I had a m16 equipped was the reason for my dying (it was always either my fault, or bad odds - ie S&D me versus 3or4). The cqb disadvantage of the m16 is minimal. Even in cqb as long as you are clever you will hit with the first burst, and one burst is all that's required. Even from the hip, the gun will more or less go centre screen. I play mainly xbox, but even the few pc hours I have put in I found the m16 to be the superior gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Are 3 Grenades available for beginners? Do you not have to unlock them?
    If not, you may aswell use them if you find them helpful. Dont mind people giving out about using certain perks/weapons after matches. You'll always get sore-arses.

I mean I snipe a fair bit and I always get slagged afterwards (hello, Xbox Live!), but it's fun to me and also, if it's available in the game, I'll use it. Same way as people using grenade launchers. Always get a hard time, but hey, if it works, dont fix it.

Anyway, I'd agree with making certain classes for certain maps.
    I have the LMGs for small tight maps like Shipment etc and Snipers for Bog. It makes the game more intresting I find if you shake up what wapons you use regularly.
    Also, dont run in open ground. Snipers will pick you off in no time. Try go through buildings, or covered alleys etc to avoid this, but be careful for claymores!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

pirelli wrote: »
    ....The g36c is the best ASSAULT gun as it hones in on its target faster and more accurately which is esssential in a fast moving assault. ...

How exactly does it home in?

I'm not a fan of the G36C, I find it a bit underpowered tbh. I use if from time to time, but I'm not a fan. I find the M4 with increased rate of fire mod (Double Tap) much better. Eats ammo though. G3 just doesn't work for me. Underpowered and too slow. The M4 is as accurate over distance for me.

P90 is just deadly. Especially if you've high pings. As other say you've faster reactions with it, so you're quicker on the draw. Staggering rate of fire too. Add Double Tap and its awesome. Same with the LMG's or with a grip. But the LMG have a big muzzle flash that makes everyone shoot at you. But it you use them for short bursts, deadly. M16 is ok with Double Tap. but useless close in. With my lag Sniper rifles are useless to I rarely use them. I don't like the AK47/74 that much. I don't find them accurate, and really only use them to spray if I pick them up. I find all the pistols very powerful without the silencer, and probably too accurate over a long distance. I can probably snipe better with a pistol than a sniper rifle. I don't use the shotguns, my rig is just to slow to have the reaction time needed.

BostonB wrote: »
    How exactly does it home in?

P90 is just deadly. .

Spot on with the P90 a good weapon for fast paced close quarters. The g36c is quite steady. but dont get me wrong, if I pick up a M4 during a game after running out of ammo the difference is quite acute, in particular the power of the M4 and faster fire rate.

The Gc36 just has a better range which allows you too kill the distant target with almost the first shot from the g36c barrel. So while it appears to be under powered and slower fire rate it is in fact packing a powerful punch over a longer range.Over time it out performs the M4 in a game.

Anyway i'm going back to using the M4 for a while so that's the last effort I am going to make in defining the G36c.

I was using the G36C last night red dot and did ok. Mind you there were no really good players in the game, myself included.

BostonB wrote: »
    I was using the G36C last night red dot and did ok. Mind you there were no really good players in the game, myself included.

Played with IBF2 last night. Great fun. Had to be the best game I had in ages. P90 and the old flick Knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I think cod4 mp on the PC is rubbish and boring now, the game's too console based now at this stage, and pb's getting to be a joke, it never catches them anyway, i'd prefare if they just left it to admins to catch people to save you the troublel.
    Only good on PC for sciming, normal mp is pants..

Whats sciming?

Maps are too small and too few alright. I miss the scale of games like Operation Flash Point, and even Delta Force which was great MP.

I think cod4 mp on the PC is rubbish and boring now, the game's too console based now at this stage, and pb's getting to be a joke, it never catches them anyway, i'd prefare if they just left it to admins to catch people to save you the troublel.
    Only good on PC for sciming, normal mp is pants..

Very true, some of the perks in CoD4 were clearly put in for the console gamer, then again I sometimes think that the devs must have been drunk when they decided to put in other perks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Thanks to nivida patch 1.6 will include 4 new maps that previously cost console players money, but now, is free for us.
    The patch will out on june the 6th.

Advertisement