Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham in europe

• 11-05-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like there is a chance that Fulham could be in Europe, depends on the impact Richard dunnes sending off has on the table. Think that would be a bad thing for them TBH, while they could get a fait few quid in they could hardly win the games they had to play in the few matches they had, imagine the pressure of another 10-12 games next season...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wouldn't they have to go through one or two rounds before they make the group stage? I don't think it would be a long campaign for them to be honest. No offence to any Fulham fans but I'm being realistic. I honestly couldn't see Fulham having a long season in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I was under the impression that it was City that would get it and the red card would have no impact, I actually heard that even if city had 10 players sent off today it would not make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd give them until the third qualifier round, then again Hodgson knows his euro onions.

Either way I'd view Fulham in Europe as a harbinger of doom.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Looks like there is a chance that Fulham could be in Europe, depends on the impact Richard dunnes sending off has on the table. Think that would be a bad thing for them TBH, while they could get a fait few quid in they could hardly win the games they had to play in the few matches they had, imagine the pressure of another 2 games next season...

Fixed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

TBH we were in Europe before, but that was because we won the intertoto during 01/02 season and we had a much better squad than we have now imo (We had Malbranque, EVDS, Saha, Boa Morte, Finnan and a few other good players). Even if we do get into Europe, I'd still like for the squad to be concentrating on the PL as the PL is much more important imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Looks like there is a chance that Fulham could be in Europe, depends on the impact Richard dunnes sending off has on the table. Think that would be a bad thing for them TBH, while they could get a fait few quid in they could hardly win the games they had to play in the few matches they had, imagine the pressure of another 10-12 games next season...

If they could hardly win the games they had then how would they get 10-12 games in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd give them until the third qualifier round, then again Hodgson knows his euro onions.

Either way I'd view Fulham in Europe as a harbinger of doom.

Mike.

Thats impossible as there is only 2 qualifing rounds in the Uefa Cup, the round before the Group stage is the Uefa Cup 1st round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay I'll give them 2 games then.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, if they play like they did in their last six league games they'd win the fecking thing!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

How is the fair play table totted up, because according to the premier league's disciplinary table, Fulham are 16th. Check this link, and select disciplinary table from the drop down menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Congrats to hodgson and his players, no one gave them a prayer a month ago. If they get a euro spot then fair play to them, if they have some money to spend in the summer maybe they'll have a better run next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

How is the fair play table totted up, because according to the premier league's disciplinary table, Fulham are 16th. Check this link, and select disciplinary table from the drop down menu.

This is the table. You linked the disciplinery table.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

pd101 wrote: »
    This is the table. You linked the disciplinery table.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

Yes I am aware of that. But I was asking what other factors are taken into account, as it seems strange that a team ranked 16th in the disciplinary table, could be so high up the fair play table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Taken from a City forum (and from a guy who is actually a Boardsie if I'm correct) -
    As it stood at week 36 City had 1199 and Fulham 1191. For cards, the only tangible measure, we recieved none in GW37 (10 points) and 1R and 1Y in GW38 (10 - 3 - 1 = 6) so 16 points there. Fulham got 2Y in GW 37 and none in GW 38 giving them 16 points. So still ahead by 7 by that calculation. Next is postive play at a max of 10 points per match. Over the season City have averaged 7.5 a match for positive play, with Fulham at 7.4. The lowest was Derby at 6.9 and the highest Arsenal at 8.3. Which would make you think the delta between low and high is small, with mostly 7's and 8's bandied about with the odd 9. So at worst say city get a 7 for GW37 and a 6 for GW38 and Fulham get 2 8's which would reduce the gap down to 4 points. Respect towards opponents and respect towards refs gives a max of 7 points each. We have averaged 5.75 and 6.1 respectivley while Fulham have fared slightly better at 5.9 and 6.1. Nothing in either games to suggest anything different so I would guess both teams score 6 points in each section in each game still leaving the gap at 4 points. Behaviour of officials. Not sure what this one is, is it our officials (admin etc) or the ref? Again, with something as untangible as this I would have to give both teams the 11 points (6+5) as both have average 5.5 over the season. Which puts us in Europe.

Still up in the air though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just a quick post to say how impressed i was by Hodgsons after match interview yesterday, is a rarity to have a manager act with such class and dignity in this day and age.

fair play, glad they stayed up (and before that i actually quite wanted em to get the drop before yesterday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Just a quick post to say how impressed i was by Hodgsons after match interview yesterday, is a rarity to have a manager act with such class and dignity in this and age.

fair play, glad they stayed up (and before that i actually quite wanted em to get the drop)
    Yeah have to agree with that, thought he was very humble and gracious in the interview.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Just a quick post to say how impressed i was by Hodgsons after match interview yesterday, is a rarity to have a manager act with such class and dignity in this day and age.

fair play, glad they stayed up (and before that i actually quite wanted em to get the drop before yesterday)

Really think he would have a been a good shout for the England job, but would never be considered as he isn't a 'big name' manager, at least not in the English game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Taken from a City forum (and from a guy who is actually a Boardsie if I'm correct) -

Still up in the air though.

Got my maths a touch wrong there, should only be three points clear instead of 4! But still, with some of the variables being so open to interpretation such as respect towards refs etc it is still quite open. From working it out I believe we'll get it, all this Fulham talk is quite baseless tbh, I have not seen any evidence broken out attribute by attribute week by week as to why Fulham should finish ahead of us.

Guys,
    I'm confused. If Tottenham are no.1, why aren't they getting the uefa cup spot?

I have no idea how this thing works at all. Obviously ould love to see city get it, just can't understand. Is there 2 places given in the fair play table or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Guys,

I have no idea how this thing works at all. Obviously ould love to see city get it, just can't understand. Is there 2 places given in the fair play table or something?

Already qualified through the Carling Cup win

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Guys,

Spurs are already in via the League Cup so they don't count.

From today's Guardian -
    Manchester City are expected to go forward as England's fair-play representatives in next season's Uefa Cup despite Richard Dunne's sending-off at Middlesbrough throwing up the possibility that they might have ruined their chances. City were fifth in the table for good behaviour and if they finish in that position they will squeeze into the Uefa Cup because the clubs above them - Tottenham, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool - have already qualified for Europe.

Fulham were seventh when the last standings were calculated - behind Everton, who have also qualified - with two games to play, and are monitoring the situation. However, it is not thought that Dunne's indiscretion will have a significant impact on the final table, meaning City can expect to be involved in the Uefa Cup's qualifying-round draw on June 30.

Fingers crossed this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well anyway it would be better City go to Uefa cup coz they can anyway offer more games than Fulham,i doubt Fulham would make any result

Well anyway it would be better City go to Uefa cup coz they can anyway offer more games than Fulham,i doubt Fulham would make any result

Speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Speak English.
    He is Serbian, give the lad a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed this is true.

kinda daft innit that no one knows for certain. suggests to me the standings are pretty subjective.

Willstev wrote: »
    He is Serbian, give the lad a break.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

The problem is UEFA cup or no UEFA cup no one knows what Mo will do next. As a fan it's worrying when one considers that Coleman was made work on a tight budget while a clown like Sanchez (sorry if that's offensive to clowns) was allowed spend £25 million on championship players. With the exception of Littman Hodgson's signings have done reasonably well so far. It should also be noted that he was appointed with days left in the window and had to work fast, he can be more considered with his next signings.

If Hodgson is giving a decent budget to work with I believe he could build a squad that could do well (mid table) in the premiership and be competitive in Europe.

I also agree his comments after the game on Sunday showed his genuine class, he will take Fulham forward if given support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Speak English.

Speak serbian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Speak serbian

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

As Gaeilge? ;)

So what's the upshot, are Fulham in or not?

Not going to be announced til Monday AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

:eek: GET THE FUCK IN!!!!

Manchester City will play in next season's UEFA Cup after qualifying via the Fair Play league.

Sven-Goran Eriksson has given his reaction to today’s news that Manchester City are back in Europe, and speaking exclusively to mcfc.co.uk, Sven said: “It’s like the dream came true! Our dream to play in Europe has been strong all season.

“At one point we thought we were almost sure to get there, at other points we’ve been almost out of it, but now this news is absolutely fantastic for the Club, for the fans and for everyone.”

City finished sixth in the English Fair Play table, and with the five teams above the Blues already guaranteed European football it means for the second time now City have now qualified for the UEFA Cup via this route.

Eriksson added: “It’s a step in the right direction because the target for this Club in the future is to play in the Champions League, and the UEFA Cup is a very good school to learn about European football.

“It’s a confirmation that we are a good team, but also a team that we behave well on the pitch, we are good with the referees and we try to follow the rules as much as possible. It’s like a bonus for us.”

Now lets keep Sven and destroy Cork or Pats in the first round :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Nice one, never a doubt! Faroe Islands here we come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Speak serbian

pwned. nh sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ooooohh. Less than 1 point in the difference. So close for Fulham.

I imagine ManC can now set about tempting some quality players with the lure of european football to play alongside Elano, Petrov & Co.

Advertisement