Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing mp4 files to premiere pro

• 12-05-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi.

I am trying to teach myself Premiere Pro CS3 using training videos from Lynda.com

In one of the training videos the guy imports a series of .mp4 files without any problems. Just straight import.

However when I try to import these files I get an error saying 'unsupported format'. When I check the list of supported files in 'help', mp4 is not included.

I just wonder how they can do it in the training videos. Maybe some other codec needed?

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Richard O' Shea

.mp4 files can come with alot of differant codecs and variations (xvid and divx are mp4 derivatives). You could try checking the properties of the mp4 files u want to import and make sure you have whatever codec they use installed on your system. However editing files with this type of compression can be very difficult, I recomend converting the files to a more editable format (eg quicktime or avi with dv compression), you wont lose any quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

you wont lose any quality.

Well, you probably will lose some quality, it's virtually impossible to transcode without losing some. But it's only for learning, so that's not a big deal.

I recommend MPEG Streamclip, free download, google it, for your conversions.

Advertisement