Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is a pass in Maths needed for Arts in UCD?

• 12-05-2008 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I know somebody who's doing the leaving cert soon and wants to get into arts in UCD.He'l most likely get the points fine but has a problem with maths,he's doing ordinary level and fears he might fail it.Would this stop him from getting into arts? Also, if he gets a sports scholarship will they accept him even if he's slightly short of the required points?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=31

It just says Irish, English and another language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Thought the language requirement was finished for last years first years?

Doing pass maths is fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yeah but I thought a pass in Maths either O or H was necessary for university?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

UCD dude wrote: »
    I know somebody who's doing the leaving cert soon and wants to get into arts in UCD.He'l most likely get the points fine but has a problem with maths,he's doing ordinary level and fears he might fail it.Would this stop him from getting into arts? Also, if he gets a sports scholarship will they accept him even if he's slightly short of the required points?
    Your friend should be aware that certain subjects like economics require an understanding of maths, so not having maths could limt his choices.

Hmmm it seems you don't need maths, problem solved so I guess.

I would agree with the above though about any subjects needing maths. I did pass maths for the LC (and got an A never mind maybe failing it) and found 1st year university maths hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Have they dropped the maths requirement for entry to UCD then? Seem to remember it being required for every course back in the day.

Breezer wrote: »
    Have they dropped the maths requirement for entry to UCD then? Seem to remember it being required for every course back in the day.

Yeah that's what I thought too, you must be a ripe old 20-something at this stage lol.

It just said 3 other matriculated subjects so I guess maths could be left out considering most people do 7 subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yeah, you dont need maths. As long as you get 4 higher level honours you dont need maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Standards dropping, young people these days, mutter mutter moan etc. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

No maths for arts. Yay. (Although in the event I got a C in pass maths, amazing for someone who can't add at all.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I can't understand why they say you need Irish and not Maths. Hello! Maths is way more important then Irish

And I like Irish

What a silly silly rule

Although I never used maths and didn't need it for the subjects I took. (Which included Irish!) Don't think Irish needs to be a requirement either. Though I also didn't use my foreign language so that's just as silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

not able for pass maths, definately a prospective arts student, and people wonder why it says arts degree on the toilet roll dispenser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SurfDudeWithAtt

I'm on a sport scholarship and it won't make a difference unless he's applying for the diploma in sports management which isnt a CAO course anyway.....They try and help you out when you're in a course (letters to lecturers etc) but they wont help you get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

But it will make a difference. You need maths for everyday life! Whether it be for taxation, or calculating your GPA or just counting your change for the bus. Computers and calculators won't be around forever!

I agree with the requirement for maths just because I think without it, people will get lazy and just drop it. Maths is about learning the basics to get you by and then expanding your mind to think outside the box. People in Arts always say that Arts is a great subject for making you think differently, to broaden your mind, la la la, but thats exactly what maths does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

You can get into Arts, Social Science and Law in UCD without maths. On this basis I put Law down last in my CAO just in case I did well in everything else but had a disaster of a maths exams. This was aided by the fact that science was 280 back then, and I had it 8th on the CAO so putting anything else with the same entry requirements below that was a waste of ink.

Maths always just made my head hurt. I never understood it, numbers are just utterly meaningless to me. I have no idea how it could make you think about anything let alone expand your horizons.
    Frankly, I'm nearly sure I have Dyscalculia, like a math dyslexia. All the symptoms describe me perfectly. I can't tell left from right, poor sense of direction and of distances, can't read sequences of numbers (sometimes I call them out backwards without noticing) Sigh. I'd love to be properly tested for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Is it wrong to say that you should be able to do enough to pass ordinary level maths in order to get a university degree?

I thought that was the point of the English and Maths requirement, you need a certain level of Maths and English for everything and definitely in a degree course.

I don't want to mean or anything but I also thought the requirements were an indication of whether you'd be able for a university degree course or not.

The Irish requirement is only for UCD, not for Trinity. It's just the fact that UCD traditionally was more of a 'Catholic' University. Not strictly so but it was seen like that. That's why there is an Irish requirement or so I was told.

Well as I've said I can barely do simple arithmatic and I'm just finishing a masters so I would say frankly, I'm well able for it since it contains no maths whatsoever. And not being good at maths does not make you an all round idiot. Just someone who is bad at maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I know somebody in arts that failed theyre lc maths and thought it was a requirement-panic ensued

but hes doing his second year now so its all goood

• Advertisement
Advertisement