Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk1 or Mk 2Golf Td

• 12-05-2008 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across a Mk 1 or Mk 2 golf TD??
    Seem to be hard to get in Ireland/Uk.
    Maybe some of ye know where i can get info on them???
    row...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Mush be none left !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Row wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a Mk 1 or Mk 2 golf TD??
    Seem to be hard to get in Ireland/Uk.
    Maybe some of ye know where i can get info on them???
    row...
    Did they do the MK 1 in turbodiesel form, i reckon they didnt,they only had the 1588cc straight diesels and an earlier 1450cc(ish) diesel, or something like that, though the MK2 surely did come with forced induction,at least in its later years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

You could transplant a mk2 Golf/Jetta GTD engine into a mk1. Mate of mine did one about 15 years ago. Along with the 5 sp gearbox the car was a hoot to drive.....................

..............just don't mention the crap brakes:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Did they do the MK 1 in turbodiesel form, i reckon they didnt,they only had the 1588cc straight diesels and an earlier 1450cc(ish) diesel, or something like that, though the MK2 surely did come with forced induction,at least in its later years....

My uncle bought a new Jetta TD in or about 1986. It was a very rare car, but quite lovely, especially as he also fitted an Alpine CD player when he bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

heya,
    ~I know someone with one. will check it out and get back to you(its 1991 1.6TD white- think it was Bono's wifes car, so think its in storage) gimme a day.
    regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

put up a wanted ad on vagdrivers.net

it wont take long.

there may even be exactly what you're looking for already for sale.

Thanks all,
    Will do a bit more research on the net.Think the Mk 1 Golf Td were more common in Germany.
    I remember traveling from Galway to Roscommon about 10 years ago and a Lhd German reg Golf td overtook me and was gone like a shoot from a gun.....was traveling @70-80 mph at the time..was alot faster than my Renault 19 Supervan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Wasn't there a Golf GTD? Certainly recall seeing a few badged as such so I assumed they were factory (as opposed to individuals hacking about with two badges and fitting a GTI interior to a bog standard diesel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I saw few TD's and GTD's when I was in Latvia last year. Nearly every second car is a mk2 Golf outside of Riga

The Golf GTD was a mk2 in GTi drab with a turboed 1.6 diesel lump ~90bhp iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nforce wrote: »
    The Golf GTD was a mk2 in GTi drab with a turboed 1.6 diesel lump ~90bhp iirc.

80bhp I think, the standard one had 70bhp at this stage, the GTD got an intercooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Golf Mark I GTD

1173050.JPG

1588 cc, 70 bhp, turbo

(nice engine that, even works in a van:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Are you guys sure the GTD had a turbo ?

I am fairly sure it was simply a Golf GT with a diesel lump instead of a petril injection one. More of a "trim" level than anything else.

I dont think the "T" meant turbo !

Wikipedia states turbo "D" models were made in 1983-84 and I dont think there were any RHD ones, but I will stand corrected on all of the above!

Definetely had a turbo !

The 1.6 D engine in n/a form only put out 54 bhp and offered the acceleration of a glacier combined with the noise of a tractor.

They stuck the turbo on it and got 70 bhp (and much better acceleration and less noise). Some of the later versions (before the 1.9 was introduced) even got an intercooler and got 90 bhp.

The turbo engine block also is slightly different to the n/a, as it offers additional forced oil cooling of the pistons undersides via oil jet.

As far as I know you could only get the turbo diesel in the Mark I in "GTD" spec, any other spec stuck with the n/a engine

GTD was Turbo intercooled. ....standard TD had no intercooler.
    If going for a mk1 spend a few quid on upgrading the front brakes.

Nforce wrote: »
    GTD was Turbo intercooled. ....standard TD had no intercooler.

That is correct for the Mark II.

The Mark I only came in "D" 1500 or 1600 cc 50/54 bhp or in GTD 1600 cc 70 bhp ...afaik you couldn't buy a "TD"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

you could just "make" a 1.6td golf mk2.... by gettin a jetta diesel ot a old passat 1.6 td and swappin the bits over

You could make anything fit with the right bits;). My mate had a GTD engine and 5 speed gearbox in his Mk1. We upgraded, and I use that term very lightly :p, the front brakes to mk1 GTi spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep, peasant is right. The Mk1 did come with a turbo diesel, the 1.6 69BHP GTD. It was launched in late '82 (less than a year before the introduction of the Mk2).

The same engine was carried over to the Mk2, available as a N/A (53BHP), the above turbo diesel and also with an added intercooler generating 79BHP. The intercooler was not available on the Mk1 afaik

There's even a tiny reference to it on the wiki article on the Mk1. See the diesel engines section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

you could just "make" a 1.6td golf mk2.... by gettin a jetta diesel ot a old passat 1.6 td and swappin the bits over

If you got a straight Mk2 shell, you could put in a td as mentioned above, or even a modern TDi from a caddy. You'd need to be fairly handy at it, but it shouldn't be NASA territory. Alternatively, you could buy one that's already been converted and save yourself loads of hassle and maybe some money.

• Advertisement

I still did'nt do anything on the Golf TD....:rolleyes:
    if i got a GTI and popped in a 1.9 TDI (130bhp)
    That would be fun...:D
    But i'd say i'd leave the driveshafts on the road behind me....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

The Mk 1 Golf & Jetta Td were not imported here unless as a special order. There were a couple of Mk2 TD's & GTD's but most were imported from the UK. They were very expenive here new. A friend of mine is running 2 Mk2 GTD's - both ex - UK cars at the moment.

I had a Mk2 Jetta TD myself ('89 Meath Reg Car) and a MK2 Pacific TD with an Intercooler ('91 Cork car). I thought the Td was a great car at the time until I drove one of the Intercooler models which my Uncle bought. There was no comparisson in the two cars. I wasn't happy until I managed to source one of them for myself at the time..

Wish I still had that TD with the Intercooler now.. :(

Advertisement