Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes2Ashes, Share Your Theories and Ideas and Comments on a Possible Season 2?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

The thing is, I'm not sure where they can take series two now- we appear to have established that Gene is actually a copper who looked after Alex when she was small, in REAL life. So what on earth was Sam Tyler doing dreaming about him? That is a contradiction of his 'reality'. If they try and make out he's supernatural, then Alex must have been suffering false memory syndrome for years because she remembered him holding her hand at the time, and the bit about the police station seemed to fit her memories of the time, so it wasn't just Gene and her on a hill which we could explain away by saying 'ah but then Evan arrived and took her to a police station so Gene could still be an angel', she is actually living inside a very specific memory of her past.

Apart from this weirdness, which I now think it would be impossible to conclude with a romance because she would either be shagging a supenatural being or a 70 year old, they have just removed the main focus of the show (the race to save her parents) and two central characters. They form some of the pillars that hold up her world for us, and I'm not sure how they could be replaced. We're left, essentially, with her trying to get back to her daughter, and a relationship with Evan that now has no purpose but to drift.

In LoM i always thought it was a mistake to resolve the dad issue in series one, but i suspect that was done because they had only ever conceived one series being made. The second series was much weaker and became a bit repetitive in certain areas (like sam collapsing all the time). I am finding it hard to understand where A2A can go now. I hope they find something purposeful, and don't just churn out filler.

So, if Gene is real, and from 1981, and she is in her own memory, I can only conclude the foreshadowing is a red herring, and I really really hope they don't take us down the guardian angel route because the great thing about Gene is his very earthy earthliness! It would be too twee for words.

I think the next series will see Evan racing to find Alex in 2008, and she will be leaving him clues in 1981 as to her plight.

Since there can't be a romance, I can only imagine that she will in some way meet old gene, or more likely visit a grave in 2008 for an emotional climax. And then she's left with Molly. How boring!!!

Still doesn't explain sam Tyler's dreams...

Nothing fits does it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think the first thing we have to remember is that neither the writers nor the BBC prob realised how popular Life On Mars was going to be. So when they commissioned the series they had already implemented a backstory which they couldnt really change (peoples names, ages, locations and background etc). In respect of Gene Hunt he has already been married and divorced (despite the fact we never once met his wife) and for him to rise to the rank of DCI means he has to be at least 40-45 by the time Life On Mars has occurred.
    1408 wrote: »
    So, if Gene is real, and from 1981, and she is in her own memory

If Gene is real, then he was easily in his 50s when this happened, and it would be an interesting twist to think that Gene is actually a real person but I doubt this would be easily explained because if that was the case then Drake is playing someone who actually exsisted in the past since her interventions fit in with the history of the situation.
    1408 wrote: »
    Still doesn't explain sam Tyler's dreams...

I think Sam Tyler may yet return. The whole "we never found his body" points at the chance for this to happen, and he could be integral to the whole thing then anyone thinks, but only another yr will tell as the show doesnt resume until 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 TheForeSkins

I think Sam Tyler may yet return. The whole "we never found his body" points at the chance for this to happen

I totally agree with that. It was very obvious that the writers hinting that they never found his body would leave people wandering as opposed to just saying "hes buried here" (although would Drake exhume the body?). Still, no word on Annie, or Gene's feelings about Sam's death. We dont know if they had any children or anything happened, we know very little, and perhaps for a very good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I stopped watching this a couple of episodes ago. Just got bored with it. I really liked Life on mars but this one was not doing it for me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 learimus

I stopped watching this a couple of episodes ago. Just got bored with it. I really liked Life on mars but this one was not doing it for me at all.

i have to agree with you there. not as much action. sam was a way better protagonist.

Advertisement