Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Tits nest

• 12-05-2008 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have 2 nestboxes in the garden, both fitted with IR cameras.
    I was tidying up today and had to move one of them temporarily - however I didn't realise there was a Bluetit sitting on eggs inside it.
    As soon as I realised, I put it back on the wall, so as not to disturb the bird.

Now tonight, I heard a big 'crash' out in the garden - when I went out to look, here was the birdbox in bits all over the ground, with the nest half out and the poor little hen half inside the nest in the dark, covered in egg yolk. About 4 of the eggs were smashed in the process.
    (Obviously my fault, didn't fix it back to the wall correctly:eek:)

I nailed it all back together as quick as I could, but I didn't want to touch the nest itself, cos the poor little bird looked terrified under a 500w halogen.
    Its fixed tight to the wall now, and I can see her on the camera. She's just sitting there, in a lop-sided nest, covered in egg-yolk, with lots of smashed shells around her. Theres two eggs underneath her that look OK but could be cracked, I don't know. She's moving about as normal for night, so I don't think she's hurt.

Just wondering what to do now.....??
    I'd like to get the broken eggs out, or will they do that themselves?
    What about the nest being lop-sided, will they fix it up themselves?
    What if the eggs are cracked? will the nest be abandond or will they lay more?

As I type, she's just got up off the eggs now and is standing over in the corner, so I guess thats bad news?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Its best to leave as is she's probably in shock or at least was for a while, unfortunately its quite unlikely she'll stay to hatch them.
    Don't try to fix or clean the nest if by chance she stays she'll fix it up herself.
    I think the best thing you can do is just keep an eye on her to see if she's injured.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

aw no...
    as gerky said,best thing is to leave her to her own devices, and keep an eye on her if shes hurt.

sounds like youve a great set up there. any pictures or videos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Leave her be. I have seen Blue Tits survive nestbox crashes before. If it doesn't work out they will have another go at another location.

Just curious, how did the cameras not show there was a sitting bird before you move the box.

A plea to everybody. Please dont move or disturb boxes at this time of year as for many species they are at a critical phase of the breeding season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

did they surviice please let us know

Advertisement