Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is that noise in the city at the moment???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheridan

Hah. I suppose you have to attribute their popularity to marketing and misplaced hormones, because those are five of the ugliest saps you'll ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overdraft wrote: »
    I looked out my window and saw:

this

****ing terrifyng. I'm on hold with Nato as we speak.
    Don't worry about it ... you're obviously still asleep and having a nightmare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mary Harneys fridge alarm!

ps, Can't hear it in Tallaght

Why aren't you in Athlone?!
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    The microwaves and time machines crew have taken us back to 1941. Quick, alert everyone on the North Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rob_the_cat

Any definite answer on this to help me get back to sleep?

I live near Croke Park, so could hear it loud and clear. Initially assumed it to be the Luftwaffe, space aliens, or a jailbreak at the Joy. Very bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Overdraft

Just listened to the 5.0 am bulletin on RTE. No news about the siren, their headline was news from the Middle East: Judas has let Jesus down a bagfull. Bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Overdraft wrote: »
    Just listened to the 5.0 am bulletin on RTE. No news about the siren, their headline was news from the Middle East: Judas has let Jesus down a bagfull. Bastard.

sirens from 11 till 4 at night, what the story with that ?

i ugess maybe the heavy air we've been having the last few nights might account for the sound travelling when it normally doens't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

sirens from 11 till 4 at night, what the story with that

no, they only started about 5 minutes before I made the original post.

I think....(?)

It's just some scumbag in a corsa playing the latest dance tune.

ah well i misread the other post that was from 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Zee Germans are coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

So does anyone have any clues on this? I'm in Santry and I thought it was coming from the north, kind of suspected it was the airport or something. Pretty annoying, especially those few seconds where it went really high, thought my head was about to explode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

ah well i misread the other post that was from 2007

All these posts are from today. You made this post in the air raid thread...
    a siren from 11 till 4 in the evening

ah most of this thread is from 2007

...then posted here an hour later with the same thing, after realising your 2007 mistake. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm in Donaghmede and got up for a wizz at 2 am and couldn't get back to sleep til it stopped. I work in the airport and it wasn't the pre-crash alarm either. C'mon, someone put us out of our misery!

Well I think there is only one obvious explanation - Spider Babies. They have the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

i heard it im on gardiner st sounded like it was from the port alright, or at least that direction.i checked the news alright myselfigenuinely thought it was something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Some one ring joe duffy and ask what was it.

Its bad enough a siren goes off that can be heard all across the city and no one knows what it is. Its even worse when no one from the, and I use the term lightly, 'authorities' mentions it. Would it have killed them to release a short statement this morning? It started about 9 hours ago and is yet to be mentioned on the news. If an alarm went off in the middle of Baghdad they would get it from CNN and tell us with in minutes. When it is on our doorstep they do feck all.

A useless shower, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

That's because it seems to only really have been heard on the North side of the city... RTÉ doesn't do the North side.

Even when they report from the Four Courts it's from the other side of the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Racists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Clearly the government testing the Zombie alarm. If they are prepared why wont the Boards admins help us to prepare by giving us our zombie survival forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Clearly the government testing the Zombie alarm. If they are prepared why wont the Boards admins help us to prepare by giving us our zombie survival forum.

because they are in on it!:eek:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm like a zombie at work thanks to that damn siren.

As we don't have air-raids here, I assume it was an ohsh!ttheeconomysfcuked siren. Timing could have been better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

It's the Dublin port sirens. They go off quite frequently, I'm quite near to them and would hear them about 4 or 5 times a year. They never tend to go off this late at night and so, with sound travelling much further at night, a load of people who don't usually hear them are wondering what the hell's going on. They never make the news because whatever the problem is is usually resolved (thankfully).

Isn't it bizarre that something that uses air-raid sirens in Dublin hasn't been widely explained to the citizens of the city? Every time they go off and somebody hasn't heard them before they tend to panic a little.

surely theres some sort of notice put out like notams?
    was on sean moncrieff and he rang and they said it was training exercise for the oil depot. as people ahve said, but why at night?

i looked on the dublin port website no notices ?
    bad practice

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

but why at night?
    So it won't disturb port operations.

But wakes 250,000 people. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I spoke with a truck driver who delivers fuel (petrol, diesel etc.) and he told me their was a small fire around 3/4 am and it;s standard practice to go to "red alert" and call out all the emergency services just incase, he was back a couple of hours later and it was all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Didn't hear a thing :D I'm in Ballymun

so the was there a fire it wasn't training, as everyone and the port kept saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,175 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why does the siren need to be so loud that it can heard over half of Dublin? Isn't that ridiculous? A country realistic about serious problems would have proper procedures in place for this kind of thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The siren would be rated to an industrial level, the port is a big place with people working near machinery etc. so you have to make it audible to all areas of the site. The next thing you'll be asking why does the fire engine/ambulance have to use the siren after dark...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,175 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dyflin wrote: »
    The siren would be rated to an industrial level, the port is a big place with people working near machinery etc. so you have to make it audible to all areas of the site. The next thing you'll be asking why does the fire engine/ambulance have to use the siren after dark...

If fire engines used sirens that could heard in the next postcode, then yeah, I'd be wondering... Last time I checked, Clontarf, Donaghmede, Gardiner St were not part of Dublin Port's site, so why are we hearing a loud siren? If it's that loud that far away, good luck to whoever has to organise the on-site response. What are they going to use, sign language? Semaphore?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

What would the effects of a major disaster in Dublin be? Lets say a Nuclear attack or a 'dirty bomb' - things that were not included in the government booklet. Would anywhere be considered 'safe enough'....i.e how far out would you have to be from, say, the Spire? Ive often wondered whether we could cope at all with the ultimate emergency. Having said that the most deadly and horrific results for Dublin would in my view be from a nuclear leak or some lunatic with an A-bomb. Would we have any hope? Worthwhile considering because all of our real emergency capacity and even the government is all centralised within miles of Dublin city center.

Could we cope at all?

Advertisement