Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent ban. is it over the Top.??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

i will summarise it!

theres a very biased mod on the soccer forum that is constantly banning united fans. the fact that this thread has gone to 4 pages in less than an hour shows we all cant be wrong. united fans are getting sick of this.

Let me also add that it is nothing to do with the fact he is a liverpool fan that we are so annoyed. Couldnt care less who he supports. We just want to be left in peace without people who should know better trolling the forum and banning users for rising to the bait.
    This is the first moderator I have ever had issue with on boards.ie , i generally find them very fair and reasonable. He however, intentionally irritates and pokes united fans until they respond, at which point they get banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Lads to get the story right the MOD who was posting was not the one to ban me

bump

It was PSI
    and I send him a PM saying I was starting this thread and that it was nothing personnal , just wanted people opinions on the Harshness of the ban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ban the whole soccer forum and site ban anybody stupid enough to want to post in it.Load of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

yes, but the root of all the problems on there at the moment is TFTF. i think that is what everybody is getting at here.

PSI is doing her best to be fair and is not the problem in all honesty lads, and the same can be said for the other 3. however, not seeing the trends here with the amount of united fans being banned by this fellow is something that is baffling. we all cant be wrong.

Looks like you are on a personal crusade! The problem in soccer is not generally with the mods, but with the "backs against the wall" attitude of some posters. Everybody knows the rules - provocation is not an excuse for misbehaviour. I have long felt that Man Utd and Liverpool should have private fora, not because of the size of their support, but because of the sheer number of childish postings their fans generate. You tend not to see it from fans of "lesser" clubs generally.

The golden rule should be, "don't rise to the bait"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Degsy wrote: »
    Ban the whole soccer forum and site ban anybody stupid enough to want to post in it.Load of rubbish.
    OK.

Now move on to annoy someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Looks like you are on a personal crusade! The problem in soccer is not generally with the mods, but with the "backs against the wall" attitude of some posters. Everybody knows the rules - provocation is not an excuse for misbehaviour. I have long felt that Man Utd and Liverpool should have private fora, not because of the size of their support, but because of the sheer number of childish postings their fans generate. You tend not to see it from fans of "lesser" clubs generally.

cant disagree with that really.

But should the bait be allowed to be posted by a moderator?

I think your golden rule should state, "don't bait users, or rise to the bait."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Tauren wrote: »
    You know yourself that there is no real way of dealing with the moderation cause none of the mods will admit that they have done anything wrong. TFTF will eventually appear to say his point, no matter how many times he repeated it, was valid and that repeating it, loads, is not an issue. Whichever mod banned roackman and other united posters will pop in and agree with TFTF and stand by their bannings, then someone will post so LOLCats.

Now, I've no interest in football, so I wouldn't visit the forum at all, or pretty much have any experience with the posters and mods of that forum, but I'd just like to say that it is my experience that the admins here take an extremely dim view of moderators abusing their powers and in the past there have been moderators who have been demodded and sitebanned. If there is a genuine and serious issue for concern, then I'm sure the admins will look into the situation.

As well as that, the notion of mods sticking together and backing each other up no matter what is just a fallacy. If someone is taking the piss and abusing their power, then it reflects badly on other mods, and I'd hesitate to think anyone is going to step up to the defense of someone abusing their power. It'll make them look like a jerk. Of course, there's plenty of moderators who are good pals, and it shows, but there's as many who don't get on at all.

And the cat pics are just bandied about when there's something ridiculous to parody. This thread, so far, is being presented in a serious manner, and it's being taken seriously.

I don't think you should be snorting at the discourse, especially when there's a genuine issue at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

posting in a thread is NOT baiting. it is what you post. I'm sure there are a few liverpool fans who would say he baits though.

However, Mr Alan is the 3rd highest poster in the United thread - no calls for bannings on him. He has been accused of baiting and trolling in the past, but a number of United fans stick up for him in the United thread, because just being a liverpool supporter is NOT an issue. it is what you post, not who posts it.

Tauren wrote: »
    posting in a thread is NOT baiting. it is what you post. I'm sure there are a few liverpool fans who would say he baits though.

However, Mr Alan is the 3rd highest poster in the United thread - no calls for bannings on him. He has been accused of baiting and trolling in the past, but a number of United fans stick up for him in the United thread, because just being a liverpool supporter is NOT an issue. it is what you post, not who posts it.

Great point on Mr.Alan, he posts a lot on the united thread, but in fairness I dont think he is bitter, or out to troll. He has a genuine interest.
    The mod in question however, adds nothing to the thread, and seems to only post on it when there is a chance to bait united fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

But should the bait be allowed to be posted by a moderator?
    Why not? Self control ftw.

I didn't read the United thread yesterday, had enough fun in the other threads. It's a bit hard to comment on the banning when I still don't know the reason. Was the post deleted?

Homerjay[which was for PMs so again I can't comment] and the other bananas are hardly neutrals here.

Sherifu wrote: »
    bananas

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I regulary read the soccer forum, but am only an occasional poster. More often than not it can easily descend into bitchyness about one club or another.

I was reading the threads yesterday regarding United's win and the final day of the season and the way I saw it TFTF was very obviously baiting Utd fans in the Utd thread. I firmly believe that if a non-soccer mod continued posting in such a tone and fashion they would have received a ban.

Tbh its no wonder the soccer forum can generate the amount of crap that it does when one of its mods cannot rise above the pettiness.

KevIRL wrote: »
    I regulary read the soccer forum, but am only an occasional poster. More often than not it can easily descend into bitchyness about one club or another.

Tbh its no wonder the soccer forum can generate the amount of crap that it does when one of its mods cannot rise above the pettiness.

You're not wrong. Maybe the mods (of any forum) should not be allowed post in the forum they moderate except officially.

You're not wrong. Maybe the mods (of any forum) should not be allowed post in the forum they moderate except officially.

No, thats unfair as generally mods have an interest in the forums they moderate.
    All that is needed is a mod to be un-biased.
    This is not currently happening in the soccer forum with this particular mod however.

The fact that this thread is now 6 pages long in 90 minutes clearly shows the depth of feeling this mod has evoked in the soccer forum.

Did not think my post would get so much responds or open up this can of worms , Hand on heart I had no idea that there was such a history with this MOD,
    Anyway , As I have stated I may have deserve a ban but is there anyway or place I can appeal the Harshness of the ban . I just think a permanent ban is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I wouldnt agree with this at all. I do believe that when posting in the forum that they moderate though that mods cannot flout the rules/charter of that forum.

The soccer forum seems to be a bit of a different beast however due to the 'tribal' nature of supporting one club over another. I dont know what can be done about this though, and cant suggest a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

God NO! Why would anyone be a mod then - people only become mods in areas they have an interest in as far as i can tell. However, I would say that accepting a mod position means you have to change the way you may post, and you should elad by example. I have been a mod on another forum and I had to change the way I posted and not post at all on occasions because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't agree there. There's no way I'd moderate a forum I had no interest in. If anything it would lead to lazy modding as I wouldn't be arsed putting the effort into something that didn't bother me.

I dont know what can be done about this though, and cant suggest a solution.

Well the current mods with the exception of T4TF are excellent, and seem to be generally fair and unbiased.
    They are able to seperate their duties as a mod with their support for a team.
    He, clearly, is not able to do this.

• Advertisement

The fact that this thread is now 6 pages long in 90 minutes clearly shows the depth of feeling this mod has evoked in the soccer forum.

It's only 2 pages long mate, you clearly have set an inferior number of posts per page. I'd sort that. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's only 2 pages long mate, you clearly have set an inferior number of posts per page. I'd sort that. ;)
    Never knew I could edit that! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well there's not much else that can be said at this stage until some of the soccer mods are online. Hopefully there can be some sort of resolution.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well there's not much else that can be said at this stage until some of the soccer mods are online. Hopefully there can be some sort of resolution.
    Well said Xavi, they are entitled to have their say before we start the fire!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the way I saw it TFTF was very obviously baiting Utd fans in the Utd thread.

baiting is a strong word. i wouldn't go that far. it's just a lack of common sense. from time to time certain mods on the forum tend to let themselves get involved in the petty back and forths we see in the soccer forum, where other mods are then required to come along and clean up the mess. while we frequently see this from other posters, i would have thought mods should be expected to know when to stop pushing an issue.

LIES! it was 3 pages long before you posted. you clearly have inferior numeracy skills. I'd sort that. :p

can someone please clarify; what exactly was the posts that ROCKMAN was permanently banned for? these are the only borderline posts i can see. I can see why calling a mods postings disgraceful might warrant some sanction but i can't see how they warrant a permanent ban.
    As for coming on there over and over again on the night we fill the title
    thats just Trolling
    But
    As a forum Mod that disgraceful
    I am off for a pint , And T4TF I 'll buy you a pint if I meet you ,
    Just hope you can enjoy it with that bitter taste you have at the moment. :D

can a mod dig up the deleted posts?

LIES! it was 3 pages long before you posted. you clearly have inferior numeracy skills. I'd sort that. :p

It was 2 at the time I hit the quote button. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

..... from time to time certain mods on the forum tend to let themselves get involved in the petty back and forths we see in the soccer forum .......
    ....i would have thought mods should be expected to know when to stop pushing an issue.

I just read the pages in question and I'd definitely call it baiting.
    The mod in question didn't 'get involved in petty back and forths'. He created petty back and forths. The whole point of a mod is that they're the responsible one on the forum and are supposed to maintain decorum. He instigated it breaking down. He continually pushed a point, which wasn't much of a point tbh, when it had very little to do with the discussion and a celebration of a sporting achievement. In that way it was designed to goad people and to dampen their enjoyment of what their team achieved.

I'd definitely call it baiting.
    The mod in question didn't 'get involved in petty back and forths'. He created petty back and forths. The whole point of a mod is that they're the responsible one on the forum and are supposed to maintain decorum. He instigated it breaking down. He continually pushed a point, which wasn't much of a point tbh, when it had very little to do with the discussion and a celebration of a sporting achievement. In that way it was designed to goad people and to dampen their enjoyment of what their team achieved.

100% agree. I called him up on his trolling, called him a troll, and said he was a farce of a mod because of the way he was carrying on.

He banned me for this.

It is my opinion, and many others who have already posted, that he deliberately set out to goad and bait united supporters, and that when some of them, myself included foolishly rose to his petty bait, he banned me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

10% agree. I called him up on his trolling, called him a troll, and said he was a farce of a mod because of the way he was carrying on.

He banned me for this.

personally i think you've no excuse. what you said amounted to personal abuse, regardless of what you may think of other posters actions in a thread you're comments were not warranted.

In general I find people in soccer need to learn to use the 'report post' function and stop derailing threads.

• Advertisement

baiting is a strong word. i wouldn't go that far. it's just a lack of common sense. from time to time certain mods on the forum tend to let themselves get involved in the petty back and forths we see in the soccer forum, where other mods are then required to come along and clean up the mess. while we frequently see this from other posters, i would have thought mods should be expected to know when to stop pushing an issue.

can someone please clarify; what exactly was the posts that ROCKMAN was permanently banned for? these are the only borderline posts i can see. I can see why calling a mods postings disgraceful might warrant some sanction but i can't see how they warrant a permanent ban.

can a mod dig up the deleted posts?

These posts where earlier in the night I return to the forum about 4 or 5 hours later to catch up with thread seen that T4TF continued hence the " all night " comment so I posted this and it is this that got be banned

Quote:
    " Originally Posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    all night

just back from the pub , had a few drinks with a few very disappionted Chelsea fans , but even drunk they showed more class than you will in a million years
    I REALLY HOPE WHEN YOU LOOK BACK AT THIS THREAD YOU WILL BE A SHAMED.

you sir acted like a brat tonight.

if this gets me a ban so be it. "

think this ban bit was a mistake and I think PSI had a problem with it too , But I will wait and see any responses from PSI to see if this is the case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement