Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent ban. is it over the Top.??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

PSI wrote: »
    Look people, you can't have it both ways. You can't say "lets have a lenient forum where we can have banter, except from the mod, because, you know, we don't like him and he's a mod...booooooo!!!

Not strictly exclusive. I (borderline ;)) troll a lot of places on this site. But I always behave myself on the fora I mod.

Yes, I think mods should be held to a higher standard on the fora they mod. Nowhere else, but yes on the fora they mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Antithetic wrote: »
    Yes, I think mods should be held to a higher standard on the fora they mod. Nowhere else, but yes on the fora they mod.
    Of course they should.

Mods are there to uphold the charter, and they shouldn't be breaking it.

A mod is only a mod in the forums they moderate, and if they can't then they shouldn't really be mods in the forums.

This talk of "back punishment" is bordering on the ridiculous tbh.

The whole forum will be banned, in Champions League Final week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

If you'd called me a farce of a mod in a thread, you'd be perm banned.
    QUOTE]

But you wouldnt troll your own forum would you, so I wouldnt have any reason to call you a farce of a mod.

The reason I posted it was to let him know his actions were a total disgrace.

None of my posts in this thread today were in support of, or because of what happened HJ2005

I witnessed T4TF trolling the united thread last night, and called him a farce of a mod. I got banned for this, by, you guessed it T4TF.

I'd have banned you for calling my co mod a farce of a mod. But I would also have banned you for having a pop at another user, break the charter get banned.

My point still stands that a perm ban seems harsh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

So I'm just letting you all know, that if this turns out to be a case where T4TF's posts are deem unacceptable, then action will be taken on ALL similar posts by all users.

You can't give out about rules notbeing applied equally and then expect rules not to be applied equally.

SO take a good long hard look at your previous posts here.

This seems to be a threat that if it isn't let drop then a lot could be up for a ban retrospectively . You may not mean it this way but it reads like a cheap way of sweeping it all under the carpet .

I can also see what you mean about the definition of trolling in the soccer forum . For someone like me that has only read the thread in question it does seem like obvious trolling but maybe this is the kind of banter that is allowed in the soccer forum and if so then the others complaining should acknowledge this .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

muffler wrote: »
    I thought that was one of the functions of an Smod.
    I don't believe an smod can remove a mod. They may be able to siteban them, but I seriously doubt they'd take action in a forum against mod wishes.

Dont get me wrong here PSI Im not having a go. As I said earlier I have read this thread in its entirety and from what has been posted in this thread it appears that you are prepared to turn a blind eye on the postings of a fellow forum mod.

Well then you haven't read it very well.

I'll try say it simply again.

Posters in soccer post the kind of thing that T4TF posted all the time. It is never actioned. If someone is abusive or aggresive, that is a different matter. But posting or repeat posting is not bannable and never has been.
    Therefore, crying foul now, especially when most of the people crying foul have been banned for breaking the rules themselves, is the most shameful thing here.

This is a simple United Vs. Liverpool fan farce as it always is when these things arise.

I'd have banned you for calling my co mod a farce of a mod. But I would also have banned you for having a pop at another user, break the charter get banned.

And would you have investigated the reasons behind why I called him a farce?
    The actions by him that led up to it, with 5 posters asking him to stop trolling, and him refusing?

So.. you let users (and mods) wander about and stir up **** with no recourse?

And you wonder why there is hassle with that forum?

Posters in soccer post the kind of thing that T4TF posted all the time. It is never actioned. .

I beg to differ. Desf was banned for trolling yesterday.

what T4TF did amounted to trolling, has he received a ban?

And would you have investigated the reasons behind why I called him a farce?
    The actions by him that led up to it, with 5 posters asking him to stop trolling, and him refusing?

She actually!

If either myself or my co-mod were out of line, I would imagine we would be getting a word from an Admin / Smod!

• Advertisement

I beg to differ. Desf was banned for trolling yesterday.

what T4TF did amounted to trolling, has he received a ban?

I actually think I wasn't banned for trolling, psi might clarify this.

But I think I was banned for discussing a topic that was said to be off limits, byt psi.

It's a fair enough ban, I have no quibble with it.

This is a simple United Vs. Liverpool fan farce as it always is when these things arise.

Yes it is, it is a liverpool mod using his powers as mod to bait and subsequently ban, or allow other mods to ban united fans.

If either myself or my co-mod were out of line, I would imagine we would be getting a word from an Admin / Smod!

Exactly!

Thats all we want here also.
    Not for it to be brushed under the carpet by another soccer mod.

And, what's even more shameful is the way T4TF is letting psi take the flak in this thread.

It's like that time John Delaney sent Bobby Robson onto Liveline.

jonski wrote: »
    This seems to be a threat that if it isn't let drop then a lot could be up for a ban retrospectively . You may not mean it this way but it reads like a cheap way of sweeping it all under the carpet

Ermm no threat. I'm saying if there is a decision made here that action is taken on the basis of a rule that doesn't exist, the the action will be taken unconditionally.

There is nothing in the charter against posting in opposing team threads, there is nothing in the charter about posting unpopular opinions.
    If there is, it stops being a discussion forum.

Ergo, T4TF has not broken any of the forums rules.

Where the HELL are you people getting this from?

Ermm no threat. I'm saying if there is a decision made here that action is taken on the basis of a rule that doesn't exist, the the action will be taken unconditionally.

There is nothing in the charter against posting in opposing team threads, there is nothing in the charter about posting unpopular opinions.
    If there is, it stops being a discussion forum.

Ergo, T4TF has not broken any of the forums rules.

Where the HELL are you people getting this from?

Is there anything in the charter about trolling?

Because that is what he was doing.

Is there any point in us discussing this anymore, its the same points going over and over.
    PSI you have your mind made up and are not going to change it.
    We have no issue with you.
    All we want is for someone impartial (a soccer mod cannot be impartial here when dealing with a fellow soccer mod) to look into this issue.

DesF wrote: »
    And, what's even more shameful is the way T4TF is letting psi take the flak in this thread.

Did you just compare me to Bobby Robson? Did I commute your ban earlier? I don't think I did. 2 weeks wasn't it?

Your ban was for deliberately discussing a mod decision on a thread, which is against the rules.

It's the nature in which he went about it, his intended outcome and the fallout he knew would happen.

He is not an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yes. PSI is not under the spotlight here. we all know she does a very good and fair job and she is well respected. her first post on this thread was fair, well documented and to the point.

Did you just compare me to Bobby Robson? Did I commute your ban earlier? I don't think I did. 2 weeks wasn't it?
    :)
    Your ban was for deliberately discussing a mod decision on a thread, which is against the rules.
    I know.

I poosted that a few posts back.

As I said last night, this morning and this evening.

I don't want the ban (1 week) lifted, it's a deserved ban.

• Advertisement

Is there any point in us discussing this anymore, its the same points going over and over.
    All we want is for someone impartial (a soccer mod cannot be impartial here when dealing with a fellow soccer mod) to look into this issue.

wow. You haven't a clue do you?

If he was trolling, then half the forum is guilty and everyone should be banned. We enforce the definition of trolling not you. We do so by the standards of other posts in the guidelines we lay down. T4TF posted nothing that any other user would have been sanctioned for.

The only reason it became an issue is because of axes being ground.

As for my impartiality, don't make me laugh, I have no problem taking out mods if they need to be. I've gone after smods who I thought were out of line.

It's the nature in which he went about it, his intended outcome and the fallout he knew would happen.

Prove it.

post in helpdesk with a concise and polite thread.

only smods / admins can reply.

They are the higher and impartial authority (and also final court of appeal)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If he was trolling, then half the forum is guilty and everyone should be banned.
    Only if mods are held to the same standards. I say they're not: they're held to higher.

Can this thread be sticked and then brought out the next time someone mentions 'OMG OMGOMG MOD CONSPIRACY?'

Prove it.
    I can't.

You know I can't.

But it's what I think all the same.

And I'm not the only one.

Antithetic wrote: »
    Only if mods are held to the same standards. I say they're not: they're held to higher.

With due respect, that is not how we run the forum and it is not the type of forum I will be part of.

The rules are for everyone and we follow them the same way or not at all.

If someone tells me the forum runs differently, I'm gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The soccer mods sound like nazis imo.

I can't.

You know I can't.

But it's what I think all the same.

And I'm not the only one.

So the crux. You want me to take the opinion of a lot of United fans, who have a documented axe to grind as some sort of factual and impartial verdict of trolling that doesn't apply to anyone else on the forum?

Why didn't you say so? I'll get right on that.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote: »
    The soccer mods sound like nazis imo.
    There's no need to be stirring it like that tbh.

Most of them are fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement