Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnnstown Castle---Whatzup

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Myself and the family spent a lovely weekend(once again) around the Wexford area. Before we came home yesterday we said that we would visit Johnstown Castle as it was a number of years since we had done so.I am disappointed with what I saw.
    The grass hadn't been cut in a number of weeks,there was litter in want gullies/streams leading into the lake----THE LAKE
    THE SWAMP more like.
    What the hell is going on there. Nothing, obviously. The lake was completely covered in ALGEA. It was so thick that both birds and litter were sitting on top.
    Now I have no problem paying my €6 entrance fee which I feel was quite reasonable,but then they wanted another €6 per head to go into the Agri Museum and the state of the place.
    It is such a pitty to see such a fabulous national aminity abviously running into disrepair.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

that surprises me as they had an opening just the other week and have only just started charging entry. I usually go to Johnstown throughout the winter (as less busy and of course free!) and whilst I noticed a small amount of litter and the algae it wasn;t too bad.
    I think the problem of litter is mainly caused by large coachload groups of kids (usually teenagers) - I have seen the the mess left by them on several occasions.

as for the algae the weather conditions can cause a huge buildup of it in in a very short time (the River Thames in London famously had a several mile stretch full of it one time) -

the weather in recent weeks around Wexford has also been causing havoc with my garden....everything seems to be growing incredibly quickly...including the grass which I have been cutting weekly.

I'm not saying Johnstown don;t need a kick up the backside and remembers people are paying for entry but i'm just trying to balance things a little.....it is a fantastic place to go to and It's a shame you feel hard done by.

next time I go I will post my findings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thats really odd! I havn't been there in a while, but its usually very well kept.

+1 for the weather!

I cut the grass twice last week!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Johnstown Castle is class, really good for Wedding photo's, very picturesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was on the way up there last weekend, kind of glad I didn't go now. Was hoping to photograph the place.
    It's on the list though, this is the first bad thing I've ever heard about the place.

Advertisement