Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault megane problem

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

coming to work this morning, car chugging and wouldn't go beyond sixty, no power, got here ok and will hopefully get it home to get it to my mechanics this evening but does anyone recognise what may be the prob?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Petrol or diesel? If petrol, it's likely to be a faulty plug coil. Common issue. Takes about 5 minutes to fix (once you have the part)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car could be in "limp home" mode, could be a number of things to be honest.

But something similar happened to somebody I know with a Megane and it was an ignition coil issue. Seems to be a pretty common issue on the Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

Coils---simple As

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have a 2003 1.6 Megane from new and the coils have gone several times with symptoms as you describe. My mechanic tells me that this problems even affects non French cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

99% sure its the ignition coils, happened twice on a megane I had and once on another megane I had, notorious problem with them. Any Renault mechanic on here will verify.
    Its only a 5 min job to replace them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Another vote for the coils going - sounds exactly like what happen to me with my Megane some years back.

Paddy

PS Just to note the same thing happened in my Golf (Plus) a month or two back, so it isn't just French cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sounds like a coil to me - I'm waiting for the Auto Factors to deliver one to me for my Skoda (feckin VW engines!).

Rather than take it to a mechanic speak to your local motor factors and see if they have the part in stock. Will probably charge you half what a main dealer would and it really is a plug out knackered one, plug in new one job. You may have to remove the engine cover to get to the top of the coils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

thanks for all your input, but some questions, will it get me home this eve, about 20 miles. it is driving below 60, will it die on the way and is it bad for the car if i do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MsMolly wrote: »
    thanks for all your input, but some questions, will it get me home this eve, about 20 miles. it is driving below 60, will it die on the way and is it bad for the car if i do so?

Last time this happened to me my mechanic said I should have pulled over and got the car towed. It will probably get you home, but all the unburnt fuel from that cylinder is going through the Catalytic Converter which could damage it. Besides, if yours is running anything like mine it's not a huge amount of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I once drove 100+ miles with one coil gone, as stated it's not much fun but didn't damage the cat (passed the NCT afterwards no problem)

• Advertisement
Advertisement