Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was the weekend ???

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Anything Exciting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

Super... 8.30 out of Enniskerry, followed Wickow Way up past Crone, dropped off into Powerscourt, up the Earls Drive to the dry lake, charged across the common to Sugarloaf, off the shoulder down to the N11 and a loop of Glen of the Downs to finish. Sweet as it gets....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Went ahead with the Saturday spin. It was just myself and sy - the lure of the track and a smattering of rain seemed to keep people away.

We had a short spin, just up to Sally gap via Enniskerry same as last week then turned around and came home via Johnnie Fox's. I was navigator and sy left me for dead on the climbs

There was a very eerie fog up the top of Sally gap, couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of myself.
    Glad I got out though as I was in no state for a spin on Sunday

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

150km with Emty, Niceonetom and Paul yesterday. Did Slieve Maan, Glenmalure and the Sally Gap. Great weather. I punctured near Glenmacnass waterall, which kind of ruined the last part of the ride for me. It took an age to fix (pit stop didn't work, mini pump broke and CO2 didn't discharge) and then then I had to stop a few times to check on it as I was worried about the tyre pressure. Rolled home feeling a bit cranky. I've crazy tan lines today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

great weekend cyclingwise.

went to the track on saturday and went through the initiation thingie. i am now allowed to race on wednesdays. but i probably won't.

sunday spin was an EPIC. three big climbs, and over 165km by the time i got home. well pleased with myself.

legs are very heavy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

niceonetom wrote: »
    went to the track on saturday and went through the initiation thingie. i am now allowed to race on wednesdays. but i probably won't.

You should try the race once for fun. I am going there prob saturday for practice and probably a lot of chatting too... Some of my teammates were supposed to be there this saturday, but I had an exam ... so no cycling for me saturday.

Did a short 66k spin yesterday ... but was wearing 40 strengh sun screen and ... no stripy tiger like helmet tan on my forhead thank god ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sat in a room with the curtains half closed (sun was blinding me) with the windows closed tight (neighbours having a BBQ and drinking) while I did nothing but study. :(

I love exams. Although this summer is shaping up to be a great one, can afford a new bike and will be getting my drivers license. I'm sure no one really cares, but typing that was another 5 min I didn't have to spend studying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

no stripy tiger like helmet tan on my forhead thank god ...

i will give the track a proper go at some stage - when i get my own bike set up for it. i just can't trust those dolans out of the shed. i'm paranoid something's about to go ping. plus i can't sprint for shít.

you should have seen el tonto yesterday. he was very stripy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Maybe he can change is name to ' el Tigre Tonto bronceado' ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Well this weekend I went to B+Q, tried to fix the (broken) dishwasher, fitted some lampshades, filled a skip and tidied the back garden.

Buying a house is great.

It's been about two weeks since I've been out on the bike. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing the W200 (or the W100 for that matter). Trying to see if I can make the Ring of Kerry but I really need to get back out asap for that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

i will give the track a proper go at some stage - when i get my own bike set up for it. i just can't trust those dolans out of the shed. i'm paranoid something's about to go ping. plus i can't sprint for shít.

I think that guy's chain popping off was a bit of a freak accident. Loads of guys were racing on the Dolans last year without a problem. I'll be on one until I get my own steed built. As for the racing, I'm expecting to get destroyed for at least a year.

By the way, to answer your question from yesterday, the jersey did prove to be UV resistant, thank god. Just got colour on my arms, legs and face. Straps of my helmet are tanned into the side of my face again. I look ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

100 miles yesterday and a severe case of cyclist's sun burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Cycled up the Cooley 'mountains' to the Long Woman's Grave down through Omeath into Newry. Cycled towards Dundalk turned off and headed to Flagstaff. Had chat with some tourists and wandered home. First half decent cycle on new bike. Was a glorious sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    I think that guy's chain popping off was a bit of a freak accident. Loads of guys were racing on the Dolans last year without a problem. I'll be on one until I get my own steed built. As for the racing, I'm expecting to get destroyed for at least a year.

May be a freak accident, but still a little disconcerting!

Still, I'm going out on Wednesday to see how bad I am, and will be using their dolans for the foreseeable future -El Tonto, saw the frame you've ordered, and it's very pretty!

I was also at the track on Sat, Sunday was studying -first exam was this morning, second and last tomorrow, then it's bye bye college!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I had a 'recovery' weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Nothing too heavy, I'm still a newb at this :P
    And with a heavy MTB at that.

Went geocaching with the bike on Sat n Sun:

http://utrack.crempa.net/report/saved_report.php?ident=2d899a04884694615a59a9ad593a3c08&lang=en (Sat)
    http://utrack.crempa.net/report/saved_report.php?ident=dbc4e863b3fdf3f481216d9ccfba7921&lang=en
    (Sun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Beautiful weekend. Got in a couple of hours off-road on Saturday and then had a lovely leisure spin on Sunday. Brittas - Sally Gap- Glencree - Gleann na Smol - Brittas. I love these routes when I'm puffing and panting but there's nowhere as beautiful as Ireland on a bike in a sunny day. Still buzzing after the weekend, just want to get up on the saddle again. Wish I could earn a livelihood on my bicycle (and Caroline FYI I'm not a member of the garda siochana;) )

Anyone see all the hang-gliders above Lough Bray? How cool is that. I've seen lads/ladies skiing/hang-gliding. Wonder has anyone ever done it with a bicycle?

oobydooby wrote: »
    Anyone see all the hang-gliders above Lough Bray? How cool is that. I've seen lads/ladies skiing/hang-gliding. Wonder has anyone ever done it with a bicycle?

Yes - I was up walking yesterday morning and saw them. They were impressive!

oobydooby wrote: »

We saw them too. In fact we got a good long look at them because some muppet had driven the biggest tour bus in the world up the road between Glencree and the Sally Gap and managed to get himself stuck. The cops were up there and all. Weird to see a huge traffic jam in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Did an open race at Balbriggan,got creamed out of it,and have some severe tan lines,rest week this week,then the Mount Leinster challenge on Sunday.

Advertisement