Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Boardeaux V Roys Rovers Tues May 13th - 21.30 @Columbas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Bitterly disappointing. No way were they 3 goals a better side. 2nd goal was my fault as well. Worst game I've played for boards. Ugh. Exam tomorrow as well. Goodnight

i woulnt be so harsh on yourslef martin. i thought u had a good game.

we didnt lose the game cos of one mistake. we missed chance after chance and conceded 2 other bad goals. it just was not our night

edit:thinking about the secong goal. my shot got charged down and it richoched about 30 yards up in the air. dan mis hit his clearance, so did you. the ball was squared to the edge of the box where 3 players had a change to get a foot in before the shot. it was a bad goal to give away, as a team. i dont think we can point the finger at any one individual mistake, we had 4 or 5 chances to clear it. it was a good finish it has to be said, but as a team, we should have dealt better. had it been 0-0 or we winning 1-0, i dont think we would have been that high up the pitch and so depserate for a goal as the game was enterining last few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Martin at worst you were the last mistake in a comedy of errors, i wouldn't blame you for it.

We had so many chances to score in both halves it was ridiculous. I lost count the amount of times we hit the post/bar or having a free header from a corner which we put over the bar.

3-0 was a very harsh result for us but at the same time they put away the chances they got and we didn't. Simple as that.

petty spot on there. thinking about this, f8cking hell lads, we did miss alot of chances, my with 2 included.

would i be right in saying that we have never created this amount of chances before without scoring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    having a free header from a corner which we put over the bar.
    :o

we had 6 free chances from corners alone. let alone open play :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Totally gutted that we lost that one against a team we are clearly better than, but they took their chances and we didn't. We beat ourselves more than they beat us. Across the park a good few of us were just that little bit of the pace for whatever reasons and it made a difference.

Here's a first - I pretty much agree with everything in Ed's posts and it summarizes it well. They set themselves up with 4 defenders sitting right on the 18yard line to just hoof away anything that came and we played right into their hands, particularly in second half, but playing too many direct balls into them.

In midfield I felt while they barely had any play through us in the middle (cos they were going over us), there was too much space for us to cover between our defence and attack - it meant we weren't there for cutbacks as often as last week. Our defence sitting FAR too deep for some reason last night was a factor in that. I think at some level we convinced ourselves that we would be in a touger game than last week so were far too cautious and fullbacks held back more - that meant we were not squeezing the middle of the park and led to them getting onto so many breaking balls.

Wasn't quite a Liechtenstein, but there were a few times they were doing some pretty last ditch defending just hoofing it clear and we were having plenty of chances and the thought struck that it might just be one of them nights.

Only positives to take from it are that we still managed to create so many chances even when playing pretty much as poorly as we could do and there's a good chance of a few teams in this league taking points off SS and Templeogue, so there's plenty to play for.

Have to say Eddie and Sav did very well with the balls played into them - great taking it in under pressure, holding it up and either finding a man or making a chance for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Our defence sitting FAR too deep for some reason last night was a factor in that. I think at some level we convinced ourselves that we would be in a touger game than last week so were far too cautious and fullbacks held back more - that meant we were not squeezing the middle of the park and led to them getting onto so many breaking balls.

Jules I think you've hit the nail on the head there. From my point of view we sat back to far giving them room to hoof balls into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

While normally I'd be the first to criticise sitting too deep, last night their players up front had pace and they were firing balls over the top. Normally we never come up against that. See the third goal were that chap scored on pace alone (though admittedly not from a ball over the top). In the first half i thought we pushed up when we could. In the second half things want ****.

Advertisement