Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam - need to be logged in to play ?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I just tried playing a steam game there and the steam login screen pops up ? whats with that, do I need to be logged into steam to play any of the games, that sucks the donkey, any way around it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

There is a setting for offline play in there somewhere. IF you google it you should be able to find it. At work now so can't access my account to guide you through it. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

To play off-line in Steam you will need to log into Steam while connected to the internet. Then remove the connection and restart Steam. It should start back up in offline mod. Assuming you don't put back in a net connection at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Make sure you click the save your password check box when logging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Did you try putting in your password anyway? I've mine set to save on my laptop and it starts up in offline mode whenever it doesn't have a connection. I only have a few of the smaller games on it, they work fine with the exception of DEFCON which seems to want to connect to a server to verify itself every so often, it still works in demo mode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Can't you just right-click on the game in your steam games list and enable playing offline? Might need to disable automatic updates too, not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It should usually tell you if your not connected to the internet ' Connect to Steam via Offline Mode '

Also if you go to Settings and then the Account Tab, make sure the box saying ' Don't save account credentials on this computer ' is unchecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

This is my 1 and only gripe with steam. I had problems a few months ago with my broadband which last about 4/5 weeks. There were days when I could get it to work and days I could not. So irritating considering I've spent money on the games to play on/offline.

By any chance does your pc have two ethernet ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

By any chance does your pc have two ethernet ports?

Yes it does (if you were talking to me).

Steam hates seeing 2 active network ports and its hard to get it to work in offline mode if both are active. Disabling one port in Device manager used to help me for lans. It seems to happen if there is no internet connection but there is still an active internal lan connected to one port while two ports are active are active in device manager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement