Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt clarification

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

sorry i know there is a VRT thread already, you can lock this straight after i get a simple yes or no.

I noticed alot of sellers are qouting car prices with a note : "vrt based on the july vrt rates". if the rule has been changed so that only 08 onward cars now benefit are they wrong to be doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

jon1981 wrote: »
    sorry i know there is a VRT thread already, you can lock this straight after i get a simple yes or no.

I noticed alot of sellers are qouting car prices with a note : "vrt based on the july vrt rates". if the rule has been changed so that only 08 onward cars now benefit are they wrong to be doing this?

The "08 onwards cars" thing is the motor tax only.

For any cars first registered in ireland after 1st july, their VRT will be based on emissions, not CC. Their tax will still be based on CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I think it is because all new 08 cars have the option to "opt in" to the new co2 emmissions rules for tax.
    Therefore using the "pre July" slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I think it is because all new 08 cars have the option to "opt in" to the new co2 emmissions rules for tax.
    Therefore using the "pre July" slogan.

sorry i should have stated that the cars i have been looking at are at least 3 or 4 year old bmw's

The "08 onwards cars" thing is the motor tax only.

For any cars first registered in ireland after 1st july, their VRT will be based on emissions, not CC.
    regardless of year? i thought the emissions based option only applied to 08 cars

jon1981 wrote: »
    regardless of year? i thought the emissions based option only applied to 08 cars

No, I'm fairly sure it applies to any car, not just 08. Anyone feel free to correct me, this whole thing has gotten ridiculously confusing so I'm not really 100%

• Advertisement

found this
    Minister Gormley stated that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars.

All new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences.
    New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size (c.c.). Motor tax rates will be graduated as one moves up the CO2 bands, as follows:
    Band A, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of under 120grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €100. Band B, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 121 and 140 grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €150. Band C, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 141 and 155grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €290. Band D, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 156 and 170 grams per kilometre
    - motor tax rate of €430. Band E, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €600. Band F, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225 grams per
    kilometre - motor tax rate of €1,000. Band G, the top band - motor
    tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

Cars registered before 2008 (i.e.) cars in the current motor tax system before 2008) will continue to be taxed under the existing system related to engine size (cc).

From July 2008 there will be two separate tax systems for cars. Cars under the current motor tax system will continue to be taxed based on engine size (cc). New cars registered from 2008 will be taxed based on
    CO2 emissions level. New low CO2 emitting cars purchased in the first six months of 2008 will be switched to the CO2 system on first renewal of motor tax after July 1st 2008.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm

looks like it just is on 08 cars :(

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

That's What I thought also.

So If i import say an 05 Accord ill save on the VRT down from 30% to 20% but my road tax will be still on the old system €800 odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's all cars for VRT, 08 cars for road tax.

You buy your imported car, you register it in Ireland after 1/07/08. You pay the price based on the new rates of VRT.

When you go to road tax the car you'll pay road tax on the old system. You'll be in this system forever (based on current information).

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

So I am Right then?

unless i Import at least a Jan 08 Accord form the UK then ill get the new VRT and road tax.

trabpc wrote: »
    That's What I thought also.

So If i import say an 05 Accord ill save on the VRT down from 30% to 20% but my road tax will be still on the old system €800 odd

ok so now im confused, i heard somewhere that it was changed on the VRT also. my mistake :) but im happy now it is all cars!

• Advertisement

trabpc wrote: »
    So I am Right then?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

That link above http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm
    is for motor tax only, vrt is a different website:
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm
    look under section "Imported Second-Hand Vehicles"

example:
    a,If you import a DEC 07 BMW 320d in July , it will be 600ish motor tax, and c02 based VRT

b, However if you import a JAN 08 BMW 320d in July , it will be 150ish motor tax, and c02 based VRT.

whats the story with an imported JAN to JUN08 uk registered car/4X4 which is over 225co2's and imported from JULY onwards

qouting Gormless: "The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008."

does he mean Jan 2008 or 30 jun 2008? my head hurts:(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

actually whats the theory behind changing the motor tax so that it only applies to 08' cars but the VRT system will apply to all cars of any age? why not make the two systems the same? (not that i want that to happen :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE ARE STILL UNSURE OF THE SYSTEM

A. The only "USED" cars that are effected are those imported from July.(both VRT & ROAD TAX).Co2 based.

B. New cars will have a higher or lower price & road tax rate depending on that particular cars CO2 Figure.

The only sideline to this is that any low co2 figure car purchased between JAN08 AND July 08 can go on the new lower road tax rate at new taxing post jul

I thought it was quite simple!

johnf2020 wrote: »

A. The only "USED" cars that are effected are those imported from July.(both VRT & ROAD TAX).Co2 based.

B. New cars will have a higher or lower price & road tax rate depending on that particular cars CO2 Figure.

The only sideline to this is that any low co2 figure car purchased between JAN08 AND July 08 can go on the new lower road tax rate at new taxing post jul

I thought it was quite simple!

Sorry - I think you're mistaken.

A. The only used cars that are affected are those imported from july. VRT Will be based on C02 and Road tax will still be based on CC

actually whats the theory behind changing the motor tax so that it only applies to 08' cars but the VRT system will apply to all cars of any age? why not make the two systems the same? (not that i want that to happen :D)

That particular arguement has been covered EXTENSIVELY in a couple of other threads.
    Quick summary is that the SIMI got the change made so that the arse wouldn't fall out of the second hand car market. Debate rages as to whether that's a good or bad thing...

not right,

a "USED" 07 car will have cc based motor tax system, a "USED" 08 car will have co2 based motor tax system.

but maybe thats what you meant but was worded wrong?

You'd want to triple-check your facts before you hit the caps lock button...;)

But you see---that is where the confusion lies with the whole country.
    People think that the car that they have is somehow going to become unaffordable to run---Ther amount of people wanting to trade in Jeeps at the moment is crazy---They think that they will not be able to tax them!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

There seems to be much confusion on this issue & with the powers that be changing & re-issuing information, can anyone confirm that anything registered pre-2008 in another country & then imported to this will definitely be VRT'd in accordance with the new CO2 regulations...can't make sense of this anymore!

• Advertisement

its seems many are confusing the Motor tax change with the VRT change. the goverment explicity state that only 08 cars can avail of the emissions based MOTOR tax.

On the other hand there is nothing said about the age of the car when it comes to the VRT system, i did find this however...

Question:
    WIll the new VRT rates from July apply to used/second hand cars imported from the north of Ireland or is it just new cars. I have read conflicting articles on this, some state that it will apply to all imported cars new or second hand first registered in Ireland after 1st of July and other articles state that it only applies to imported cars first registered in the UK/North of Ireland in 2008 and then registered in Ireland after July 1st. Can you clear this up for me, thanks.

Answer:
    The new rules will apply to all new and used cars registered after July 1st.

from the FAQ at http://www.vrt.ie

I give up
    am keeping my mouth shut from here on in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Right here's the story..with VRT

From the 1st of July 2008 All New cars and Imports (new and used) will have there VRT rate based on there CO2 levels. (Department of the Environment). End of story, that's 100% offical!!! No Exceptions, some of the stuff on the SIMI site is lies, SIMI are aware of this but are not helping the problem, if you want it 100% call the office of environ and the revenue, but what i'm telling you is correct.....

Right here's the story..with Road Tax

Road Tax is controlled by the Revenue......All new cars bought after the 1st of July will have there road tax based on CO2, Anyone who already bought a 08 car has the option of keeping the current car tax or adopting the new regieme when it comes into force. Expect 2008 WRX & EVO drivers to be keeping the €600 a year road tax while anyone who buys one after the 1st of July will be paying €2000 road tax..

All Pre 08 (that mens bought from the year dot to 31/12/2007) cars both Irish and Imports will not be taxed under the new C02 system they will keep the old engnine sized tax system)

Now is there anyone out there that would like to disagree and confuse things again....:rolleyes:

lol about time. getting a straight answer was hard work! :pac:

Now is there anyone out there that would like to disagree and confuse things again....:rolleyes:

yes sir! fully understood:D:D

I think that next year buying a pre-2008 car at knock down prices will be like shooting fish in a barrel

just to dump a gallon of fuel on the fire...

re motor tax..
    just rang motor tax office.....they say
    anything registered in ireland after 1st July irrespective of when it was registered in another country will have its road tax based on co2 emissions

he had to be mistaken as it completely contradicts the revenue information! :eek: proves they haven't even got a clue!

update: received a call back from motor tax office saying the above was incorrect...lol this is fun!

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    yes sir! fully understood:D:D

I think that next year buying a pre-2008 car at knock down prices will be like shooting fish in a barrel

I think so in a lot of cases except sport & luxury cars.....

A 2009 Subaru WRX will be €2000 road tax
    A July 2008 registered WRX will be €2000 road tax
    A June 2008 WRX will be €600 road tax

I don't know about you but i'd rather buy a January 08 Model than a 09 Model......:p

I'm forecasting a huge price drop in the price of second hand diesel cars and a huge price increace in diesel....

Luckly i'll be so sidewars in my hippy munching, rubber burning motor that I won't give a continental....Vi Va Cheap Petrol for boy racers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Right here's the story..with VRT

From the 1st of July 2008 All New cars and Imports (new and used) will have there VRT rate based on there CO2 levels. (Department of the Environment). End of story, that's 100% offical!!! No Exceptions, some of the stuff on the SIMI site is lies, SIMI are aware of this but are not helping the problem, if you want it 100% call the office of environ and the revenue, but what i'm telling you is correct.....

Right here's the story..with Road Tax

Road Tax is controlled by the Revenue......All new cars bought after the 1st of July will have there road tax based on CO2, Anyone who already bought a 08 car has the option of keeping the current car tax or adopting the new regieme when it comes into force. Expect 2008 WRX & EVO drivers to be keeping the €600 a year road tax while anyone who buys one after the 1st of July will be paying €2000 road tax..

All Pre 08 (that mens bought from the year dot to 31/12/2007) cars both Irish and Imports will not be taxed under the new C02 system they will keep the old engnine sized tax system)

thats my understanding also but is it not the revenue who charge VRT and Dept of envior who go after motor tax

cough cough....hmmmm :mad:

you couldn't let it lie....but your right about the tax & vrt...:p

Why are we paying 2 sets of public servants to look after our car tax....seems like a bad deal for the tax payer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

i know :p

but fair play to you , your post is clear and helps.

Advertisement