Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Tickets on a Friday

Options
  • 12-05-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I wanted to buy a sigle journey train ticket Friday to travel to Longford but was told that I had to buy a return ticket. This cost me €32 and I was told that IE do not sell single journey tickets on a Friday. Is this true? Think this is ridicouls, esp as the service was the same as ever, despite the new look trian, ie, overcrowded, just three carrigies which left loads of people standing.

Also, if I used the ticket machine instead would I have been able to buy just a single journey ticket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    I wanted to buy a sigle journey train ticket Friday to travel to Longford but was told that I had to buy a return ticket. This cost me €32 and I was told that IE do not sell single journey tickets on a Friday. Is this true? Think this is ridicouls, esp as the service was the same as ever, despite the new look trian, ie, overcrowded, just three carrigies which left loads of people standing.

Also, if I used the ticket machine instead would I have been able to buy just a single journey ticket?

Jesus ! Knew they used to sell tickets at inflated prices on Fridays & Sundays, but making you buy a return ticket?!! What's that about?!!

Friday and Sunday would certainly be the worst days to use the service, due to overcrowding etc like you mention.

To make people pay for a return ticket when they want a one way, is beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you should put your complaint in writing to irish rails head office as they cant really refuse to sell a single journey ticket?? unless of course they are not alllowed to leave people in longford without means of escape?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I was told that IE do not sell single journey tickets on a Friday. Is this true?

If this is the case there is hundreds maybe thousands in the same boat? did you get a dodgey teller or do people not buy single therefore not know of this crazy rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you should put your complaint in writing to irish rails head office as they cant really refuse to sell a single journey ticket?? unless of course they are not alllowed to leave people in longford without means of escape?

I once complained to Irish Rail and the reply wasn't fit to wipe my @rse with. I wrote agian asking why the reply had been fudged, was so full of bull and didn't answer any of the specific questions i asked. Low and behold no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I've sent them an e-mail to complain and see why they charge for a journey I will not be making! Was wondering if I had bought the ticket from a ticketing machine would it have made any difference?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

On Friday's/Sunday's, the price of a single == Price of a return

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've sent them an e-mail to complain and see why they charge for a journey I will not be making! Was wondering if I had bought the ticket from a ticketing machine would it have made any difference?!

You'll never get a reply from them. I've complained via email before and it's been ignored. You need to sent a registered letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bogger77 wrote: »
    On Friday's/Sunday's, the price of a single == Price of a return
    yes for some journeys on trains and also many journeys on bus eireann the monthly or mid-week return is often the same price as a single ticket and sometimes cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its been like this for at least 8 years ... i bought Dublin-Cork every weekend and its the same for a return as it is for as single.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If it's a regular trip (or even if you just get the train at weekends a couple of times a year), look into getting a weekender card.

You have to get and ID card which needs a photo and costs 7 quid a year, but it ends up paying for itself, the prices you get seem to be the same or close to student rates. You can get the ID card at any ticket desk.

I went down with a few mates to Ballina last year, heard about the weekender thing the day before, went in with a photo and got the ID card on the spot and the ticket, and ended up paying a couple of euro less than everyone else even after the 7 euro for the ID card.

You have to travel Fri-Sun and return on or before the Tuesday, but could work out cheaper than a single ticket if you're travelling on a Friday.

Needless to say, Irish Rail don't really go out of their way to advertise them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement