Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the Dunney Monster

• 12-05-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a City fan, so only ever really see them on MOTD (and I know the non top-4 clubs get fairly limited coverage), but the only times I notice Richard Dunne he seems to be either
    • scoring an own-goal
    • conceding a penalty
    • getting sent-off

is it just me, or is he really accident-prone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yeah. that'd be ignoring how he has saved City and Ireland on numerous occasions. but i think in some way's you're right, he does have a bit of a daft streak in him at times, something i think that has prevented from moving to one of the bigger clubs. but most of the time he's an absolute Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

in fairness he has had a very good seaosn this year. A very good combative CB. I do think some people over-rate him; but he has done well this season, and really should be the Ireland captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He is actually a very good defender. One of the best in the premiership if you ask me. He does have bad luck at times. But id have him at Anfield anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Tauren wrote: »
    in fairness he has had a very good seaosn this year. A very good combative CB. I do think some people over-rate him; but he has done well this season, and really should be the Ireland captain.

+! totally agree with you there, he is a more capable captain than fatboy keane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

One of the best centre-backs in the league if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All CBs are prone to expensive errors - in that position is unavoidable.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hes a great player and has had a great season. I think he didnt play as well in the second half of the season but the same could be said for the whole City team.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm not a City fan, so only ever really see them on MOTD (and I know the non top-4 clubs get fairly limited coverage), but the only times I notice Richard Dunne he seems to be either
    • scoring an own-goal
    • conceding a penalty
    • getting sent-off

is it just me, or is he really accident-prone?
    One own goal this year
    not sure how many penalties he's conceded
    2 Sendings off, against Blackburn in September, and yesterday against Boro

Watch the Manchester derby games, or the Liverpool game in December and tell me the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

dunne has been immense for city the last few years, think being made captain has improved him as a player.
    i thought yesterday's sending off was a bit harsh he was tumbling when he accidentally clipped tuncay def pen but a yellow would've been fairer.
    he's also in the second half of the season had to play with an ever changing partner at centre-back since richards got injured, onouha, corluka, ball....not ideal, he's definitely one of the best cb's in the premier and i just hope we can hang onto him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

He is probably the player I want most to sign for Newcastle. Absolute rock of a CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Richard Dunne = Unquestionabley a brilliant defender and leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

, something i think that has prevented from moving to one of the bigger clubs. .

Wenger is after him according to yesterdays Sunday World!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i really hope he goes to a top 4 side think the mans quality, think hes a bit slow though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

shane86 wrote: »
    Wenger is after him according to yesterdays Sunday World!

well if the sunday world says it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

scruff321 wrote: »
    i really hope he goes to a top 4 side think the mans quality, think hes a bit slow though

:eek: Eh sorry that's one of the things he most certainly is not. Watch the game against Liverpool in January for example and see how matched Torres for pace in straight line running. There's a reason why he always got the marking job on Thierry Henry you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Dunne is a great CB you have to remember that he will be doing an awful lot more last ditch defending at City than the CB's at Utd, Pool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

I think hes deserves a move to a top four club myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He had a great game against Liverpool earlier in the year.

The papers reckon that Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle will all be in for him. He'd probably be first choice at Arsenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He has a phenomenal turn of pace for such a big man.
    His positional sense can be a bit dodgy time but his pace more than makes up for it.
    After rio and carvallo he is the best CB in the premiership imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

DaveMcG wrote: »
    One of the best centre-backs in the league if you ask me.
    I would agree, i think i read somewhere that he was voted citys player of the year for the third time in a row? Maybe Xavi could confirm? I think the reason his season petered out a bit was because of Man. Citys dip in form and the loss of Richards beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think he's City's best player to be honest. He has his bad days, but from what I've seen he's the one of the best defenders in the EPL. I think he'd do well with a more experienced and solid defender.

I do wonder if Thaskin unsettles City, will he leave?

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    I would agree, i think i read somewhere that he was voted citys player of the year for the third time in a row? Maybe Xavi could confirm? I think the reason his season petered out a bit was because of Man. Citys dip in form and the loss of Richards beside him.

Fourth time in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

IrishMike wrote: »
    After rio and carvallo he is the best CB in the premiership imho.

give me Vidic and Terry ahead of him. Still a quality centre back though. Think Arsenal would mean he'd be a starter. No way he'd get into the united team ahead of vidic or ferdinand, or ahead of terry and carvalho at Chelsea. Maybe Liverpool. think he 'should' get into the liverpool team, but with Agger back soon and Skrtel looking decent, I'd doubt rafa is lookin tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

hes not slow, hes improved anyway.And always did have good pace for a man his size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: Eh sorry that's one of the things he most certainly is not. Watch the game against Liverpool in January for example and see how matched Torres for pace in straight line running. There's a reason why he always got the marking job on Thierry Henry you know.

:pac:cough:pac:cough:pac:

Torres had a flu first match

:pac:cough:pac:cough:pac:

Prefer to remember Torres burning dunne in anfield the other week!

;)

In all seriosness though, top top player (SkySportsTM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I'd be a very happy gooner if he joined us...........dunne and either toure/gallas would be an excellent pairing........toure and gallas lack a bit of height and dunne is v.good in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Looks like The Dunney is off to somewhere new
    He has refused a new contract from City, I'd say the probable unfair sacking of Eriksson has caused this
    Spurs are favourites to sign him at the mo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7427380.stm

Yep looks that way.

Well we certainly got our money's worth and we'll probably even make a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Do you think Dunne leaving will have an effect on whether oter players would like to move on. With United, Arsenal and Chelsea all hovering around Richards there might be a few bids made this summer, and Johnson has his share of suitors to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Yep looks that way.

Well we certainly got our money's worth and we'll probably even make a profit.
    5m, a profit? Dunne is quality through and through. Unless Mr Shinawatra wants to dig deep who would he realistically replace him with?

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    Do you think Dunne leaving will have an effect on whether oter players would like to move on. With United, Arsenal and Chelsea all hovering around Richards there might be a few bids made this summer, and Johnson has his share of suitors to.

No I don't think Dunne leaving will affect them. He's one player. The most important thing is to sort out the managerial situation. That will affect the players far more than Dunne leaving.
    5m, a profit? Dunne is quality through and through. Unless Mr Shinawatra wants to dig deep who would he realistically replace him with?

Yeah we paid £3 million so that's £2 million profit.

No idea but as I said in the City thread, who was Vedran Corluka twelve months ago? Plus we have Richards and Onouha. No real worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No idea but as I said in the City thread, who was Vedran Corluka twelve months ago?

A Football Manager legend. Show a bit more respect please.

Yeah we paid £3 million so that's £2 million profit.

No idea but as I said in the City thread, who was Vedran Corluka twelve months ago? Plus we have Richards and Onouha. No real worry.
    I agree that Dunne moving won't affect the club but the lack of stability post-Sven certainly will. If they can pin down Richards and a few of their main players they'll recover next season imo. But the obvious problem is that: Dunne's reason for moving will be other top players reason for not coming.

bah @ the parallel discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think the media have picked up on it yet but Dunne's contract is unprotected. He signed a contract on 26th May 2006 and since he's over 28 he can be bought out of it because he has served 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I don't think the media have picked up on it yet but Dunne's contract is unprotected. He signed a contract on 26th May 2006 and since he's over 28 he can be bought out of it because he has served 2 years.

Hence the £5m price tag, if he was a year younger he'd be valued at twice that at a minimum.

I think Dunne is one of the best CBs outside the top 4 (and would probably give a couple of the top 4 CBs a run for their money) and has the added bonus of knowing English football, so for any side buying him he'll slot straight in.

With that in mind, and his transfer fee so low, I think he'll be a great signing for Spurs...:D

Rumours suggest he will have a medical at Spurs either today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Rumours on Man City forums that 'Arry Redknapp has hi jacked the bid, offering Dunne £75,000 per week and guaranteeing him a starting place.

Lol which City forum is this? Not 'Bluemoon' by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Dunne is phat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Would love him at Arsenal. Can't understand why we aren't interested at only 5 million! The Toure Gallas partnership hasn't been as good as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Lol which City forum is this? Not 'Bluemoon' by any chance?
    Don't know- heard that off somebody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This was posted on a Spurs site this afternoon, now bear in mind that the story broke just after lunch today:
    Just been told, Spurs have offered Dunne £40,000 Per week but will not guarantee first team football he needs to fight for his place, and then he gets a bonus once hes played a number of games per season.

Harry Redkrapp then has flew up Manchester and offered him first team football guaranteed and £75,000 per week.

Now unless I'm very much mistaken, Richard Dunne spent the last week with the Ireland team in either Dublin or London, and unless he travelled back to Manchester late last night, there was very little time available for Bent Harry to sit down in Manchester with Dunne by the time this story made it to the Spurs site.

Methinks either the story is a crock, or the source got his info mixed up. I'm inclined to believe it's the former, but I'll just wait and see for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

dunne for 5 million is a bargain imo, tho i imagine he's the kind of a player who takes a while to settle. As a United fan i'd love to see him bought as 3rd choice cb, as an ireland fan however this would be a disaster. We need dunne as a regular first choice at a good premiership team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

vorbis wrote: »
    Would love him at Arsenal. Can't understand why we aren't interested at only 5 million! The Toure Gallas partnership hasn't been as good as expected.

Don't think he is good enough for us imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

OPENROAD wrote: »

I tend to agree, he isnt half the player we make him out to be, not by a long shot..

Most of the memories I have of Dunne against ous is Henry destroying him..

OPENROAD wrote: »
    There were actually rumours of him going to Arsenal last week. At 29 nearly 30 his age must have been the stumbling block given Wenger's general trend of signing youth. Or else Dunne rates his first team prospects as alot better with Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

+! totally agree with you there, he is a more capable captain than fatboy keane!

Nahh he left Ireland years ago, wrote a book too as I recall :)

Think Dunne is a superb defender but a bit like Rio, he loses concentration, probably more prone to it than Rio in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Nahh he left Ireland years ago, wrote a book too as I recall :)

Think Dunne is a superb defender but a bit like Rio, he loses concentration, probably more prone to it than Rio in fact.

If you had Vidic whispering sweet nothings in your ear, you'd concentrate better as well:pac:

Without derailing thread .... Vidic was best thing that could happen to Rio.... improved him by 100% from a player with potential to an accomplished centre back, always looked like a headless chicken beforehand.

Dunne going to a decent club with better coaching staff, playing against better forwards in training will bring him to another level as well.

Great signing for Dunne and for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mike65 wrote: »
    All CBs are prone to expensive errors - in that position is unavoidable.

Mike.

Very fair point. Mistakes in that position will inevitably be highlighted more.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Very fair point. Mistakes in that position will inevitably be highlighted more.

i think it's more to do with the fact Dunne has never really operated with a proper sweeping player like Rio (well for Ireland where i've seen him most).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It'll be great signing for Spurs, should slot in nicely alongside Woodgate, I rate him up there with King, no chance of him going to the Arse, he wants to go to a club that wins tropheys ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement