Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question...

Options
  • 12-05-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

It's been a few years since I had to have a car NCTed but my motor is now 4 years old and tax is up at the end of the month. Thing is I was expecting a reminder about the NCT with a booking ID or similar....

Should i have received something from the NCT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

No it's up to you to organise it. They don't send out reminders anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering about this also.

Surely they should have publicised that this is the case, how are people supposed to guess! Especially since their website isn't clear on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BC wrote: »
    how are people supposed to guess!
    The onus is on the registered owner of the vehicle to ensure it has a valid NCT certificate and tax paid. AFAIK it is only insurance companies who are required to inform owners that their insurance is due for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yep, I've just contacted NCT - they don't send reminders any more.

Fair enough as far as I'm concerned. I don't need to be spoon-fed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

The onus is on the registered owner of the vehicle to ensure it has a valid NCT certificate and tax paid. AFAIK it is only insurance companies who are required to inform owners that their insurance is due for renewal.

Thats fine but they should tell people that things have changed as people who got a letter previously will expect it again. The NCT website indicates that you will recieve a letter. From the bookings page:

Booking procedure: NCTS is currently sending NCT Booking letters to eligible customers, offering them a provisional booking for their NCT test.

The proposed appointment will be based on the initial registration date of the car (in the country
    of origin) and the chosen NCT Centre will be determined by the customer's address. This letter is sent to eligible customers approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the anniversary of first registration of their car (which is legally the date by which they must have their car tested). Provisional bookings will ideally be made 3-5 weeks prior to the vehicles' anniversary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

BC wrote: »
    Thats fine but they should tell people that things have changed as people who got a letter previously will expect it again. The NCT website indicates that you will recieve a letter. From the bookings page:

Entirely agree. When my wife's car was last due for NCT, in the absence of the previous notifications, I had to contact them, and had to do so again for my own car last month. I wasn't aware that they had changed the rules, which would have left me in an interesting situation with the Guards if I'd been stopped -- I'm waitin' for the test appointment yer honour".

This is, I suppose, a cost saving measure, getting the motorists to do the work NCT are being paid for, and similar to the income generating discontinuation of the advisory items that are now all failure items.

But still, now I know I am happy enough with the situation since the last time my wife received a letter the appointment was three months early. Fine, I thought, she will get 15 months NCT for her money. Not a chance. They simply dated the NCT from the date of the test and she lost three months. It did occur to me afterwards to question if that was legal, but I didn't think of it at the time.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do people need their hands held? Theres 3 discs on your window with big dates on them, When it's coming near to the date, it nees renewing , very simpe.

If you have a new car you know tha 4 years later it needs an nct

Advertisement