Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband wireless router

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Can you buy a modem/router for eircom broadband?

I've ordered Eircom Broadband for my folks, 10euro per month. But the modem they sent out is a DSL modem to usb which is no wireless.
    First issue is I want wireless, can I but a wireless modem router and still use Eircom Broadband?

The second issue I have is that I tried to use the modem they sent out, but when I tried to install it's software on Vista it failed, it error out near the end of the installation saying something about Operation System does not meet requirements, but of course it does, can I get this to work on Vista if the wireless option doesn't work?

The offer I chose was the Eircom Broadband Time offer by the way, it doesn't include wireless which of course it doesn't spell out, if I want to get the wireless offer it will be 25euro per month instead of 10euro :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Can you buy a modem/router for eircom broadband?

You should be able to- with Eircom I think the router sends a user name and password to the DSL line when it connects so you just need to ensure that you set up the new one to send the same details. Plenty of people buy their own DSL routers because the ones provided by ISPs tend to be on the cheap end of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

So it can be done.

Anyone what the deal is with the 20hours on Eircom Broadband, is the 20 hours the time the modem is connected to the exchange? meaning the modem must be turned off when not in use? or is it smart enough to detect inactivity?
    I see the eircom page recommends setting a timeout on the modem? this does sound problematic if the timeout was not setup correctly?

I presume you can buy a wireless router which is also a DSL modem, yes? any recommendations, a cheap one will do, it'll have low use and will only be used for internet.

As I mentioned I also tried to install software for the Eircom provided Netotopia 3342 but it failed because the OS is Vista!!!
    Is there a workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

try connectin on dial up and see can ya download the drivers from the eircom site

• Advertisement

what drivers? the installer went through steps but didn't ask for manual installation options it just errored. I've had a deeper look at eircom's site and handily enough for them they've not listed Vista as supported, that's a great way to avoid issues.

Also I've source a "used" Netopia modem router, but it doesn't have software, if I purchase it will it work? I'm worried that as it has been used already I might not be able to use it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should have done some research before you made your purchase it is clear from the Eircom website that they do not supply a wireless router with the product you purchased.

Any wireless adsl modem/router can be used with Eircom (or the other resellers) you do not need any software installed.

You can get your basic settings from the Eircom website and insert them into your newly purchased router/modem as per instructions ( you are the type who reads instructions or even uses google yes?)
    Basic modem settings:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

nope, I'm an engineer, I never ever read instructions, that's why I became an engineer so I could figure stuff out.

that's good news I have seen the settings but I have no experience with broadband setup and even less with Vista.
    thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Real enginneers read manuals and instructions. They are famous for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement