Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questiion re clampming

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I went out to my car this morning to discover it had been clamped at 3am. I live in an estate and not parked on a main road is this legal?

There are no yellow lines to indicat i should not have parked where I did nor any signs to indicate the legal parking areas. I moved into the estate to rent and was not warned of this by rental company.

excuse if in wrong place please move

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are there signs up warning about the clamping? As far as I know the signs have to be easily visible from where the car was clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

AFAIK the management company (or their subcontractor) have to have a camping permit to clamp cars. Ask to have a look at it, there should be details of the licencing body on the permit as well as an enquiries number.

My guess is that if you ask to see their permit and explain that the car wasn't on yellows, they'll back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

As far as I know there is no permit or licensing system for private clamping operators in Ireland, basically they have no legal right to interfer your car but I suppose taking an angle grinder to their clamp would be a grey area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Guys thanks for the advice this is farcical another few questions

Is it legal for their notice to be stuck on drivers window obscuring view

Also it is now 19:29 and since 15:00 the clamping guy

Ok there is a sign which say no parking in common areas (think its a new sign as i dont remember it when we moved in and letting agency never said anything) only in specially designated areas but the thing is there are no designated parking areas no signs to indicate them or no yellow lines prohibitng parking so everywher eis a common area.

Where do I park?

And do I have rights where a man from the company (the declamper) was screaming down the phone at me and hanging up on me then not answering when I rang.

Jeez my head is wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If they won't come to remove the clamp, ring your landlord and tell hime/her to get it sorted out; they'll just ring the management company and pass it on, but the management company are more likely to listen to them (their customer) than you (in their eyes, a nobody).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the clampers refusing to remove the clamp (for the fee) you could likely get the Guards involved as it'd be approaching extortion. Just need a repeat of Black vs. Carmicheal here...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK if it's a gated (restricted access) estate then the management company enforce the rules - via clampers - instructed by their employers (the residents).
    If this is the case then take it up with your landlord, you should have been told about any parking regulations.

If the estate is in the care of the council then normal parking legislation applies and the clampers must be licensed by the council.

Advertisement