Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fig Rolls and MiWadi

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

If there is anything better halfway through a long spin, I would like to hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

If there is anything better halfway through a long spin, I would like to hear it.

Fig roll and tea ... always tea ...
    or a 99 on a hot day ...

Obviously you wouldn't have a tea whiel cycling or a 99 ... you could get the flake stuck up your nose ... not good if you are already struggling with your breathing up a hill ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

817-1.jpg

and

0232970_m.jpg

Works for me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

But doesn't tea dehydrate you?

But doesn't tea dehydrate you?
    ... never!

tea is the brew of cycling gods! Sean Kelly will tell you ... there is nothing better than a nice cup of tea to keep you going during a winter spin ...

... now this 'summer so far' I have opted for slightly Ribena flavoured water ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Caffeine is a diuretic - it promotes dehydration.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I’ve been told this too (by my Tae Kwon Do instructor after I passed out in class), but according to this it may be alright:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-125002.html

Maybe ice tea is different to regular tea?

Hermy wrote: »
    Caffeine is a diuretic - it promotes dehydration.

Which explains the Mid Morning toilet rush for all my coffee addict colleagues ...

.... and come on guys ... I was only joking ... do you seriously think I would go out on my bike with a flask of tea ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's a very mild diuretic - won't cause dehydration though

http://ific.org/foodinsight/2002/ja/caffdehydnbfi402.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

I will admit that I indulged in a little of that new green powerade (delicious) in Enniskerry when I ran out of Zorkmundsson's Home-Made Lucozade Sport. still though. fig rolls. nothing like them for a boot up the backside when you're feeling sorry for yourself far away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It's an urban myth that tea and coffee dehydrate you.

My personal brew is Locozade sport and water 50:50. It's too sweet otherwise. Fig rolls or Nutrigrain bars or for a bigger event Power Bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Tea and coffee themselves are diuretics but the water that you brew them with cancel out the dehydrating effect they have.

I had a look at the nutritional values on a figroll pack in the supermarket the other day and was quite disapointed with the amount of calories they contain. I prefer rice krispie squares or those nature valley oats n honey bars, food of the gods!

Hungrycol wrote: »
    My personal brew is Locozade sport and water 50:50. It's too sweet otherwise.
    Yup, that's what I do too ....

Carefull with these drinks though. It makes a mess out of your teeths ... continuously sipping lucozade while training is not as good as one thinks so. ( our dentist said )

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Fig rolls. Nutrigrain elevenses bars (Rasin are my faves). Jellybabies. Fruit Pastiles. Find sports drinks are very salty and make me phlegmy.

Going to give tesco's Apple and Rasin bars a whirl tomorrow - they look figroll-ish!

Never really thought of icecreams/pops for a cycle - but i'd give a wibbly wobbly wonder a whirl, or maybe a Twister or Split.

Going to give tesco's Apple and Rasin bars a whirl tomorrow - they look figroll-ish!

These are quite nice, I have at home but they're quite low in calories ( just about 90cals ... not sure that's enough for a long spin.) You can get the Figroll bars, They're 120 cals, like a giant figroll, individually wrapped.

... can't believe all the the useless stuff I know ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cheeseburger in a can FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

el tonto wrote: »

I saw this on Jonathon Ross before. They sound lovely:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    Photos of someone eating it here. In fairness it is camping food, but still, no.

I actually have a Bodum "travel press" cup which fits into a water bottle cage ;-)

Image3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

While on the subject of food, can anyone recommend something for when I arrive to work in the mornings. I've started to take a longer route into work (1hr 15mins instead of the usual 20 mins) and doing it on empty in an effort to finally shed the bit of a belly. No canteen in the job so is there anything handy I can throw in the bag. (other than sambos at 7am and again for lunch :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donal_mcg

These are quite nice, I have at home but they're quite low in calories ( just about 90cals ... not sure that's enough for a long spin.) You can get the Figroll bars, They're 120 cals, like a giant figroll, individually wrapped.

... can't believe all the the useless stuff I know ...
    Tube of Jaffa cakes, nothing better. washed down with tea. Yes indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I always have cereal before I leave - cornflakes or alpen or porridge usually. For losing the belly, I think that having something before leaving will stand you better than having nothing - brekkie being the most important meal of the day etc. Maybe a cereal for brekkie and then fruit at 11ses time?

• Advertisement

I always have cereal before I leave - cornflakes or alpen or porridge usually. For losing the belly, I think that having something before leaving will stand you better than having nothing - brekkie being the most important meal of the day etc. Maybe a cereal for brekkie and then fruit at 11ses time?

I've done it before when needed and got to where I wanted within weeks. Was returning home first though before going to work so was able to have some ceral at home. I start earlier nowadays though. Not talking bout skipping breakfast, just delaying it till 7am so I can burn fat for the hour on the bike previous. Looking for something handy to take with me to have when I get into work.

I found a kick-start in the morning before breakfast was a good idea, as long as something was eaten immediately on arrival in work. 1hr 15 should be fine on an empty stomach and really gets your metabolism going for the day (I have cereal when I get in, don't know if that would be an option though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Bananas! It's all about the bananas!

blorg wrote: »
    I found a kick-start in the morning before breakfast was a good idea, as long as something was eaten immediately on arrival in work. 1hr 15 should be fine on an empty stomach and really gets your metabolism going for the day (I have cereal when I get in, don't know if that would be an option though.)

Yeah, I find up to 1hr 45 empty is ok before you start to need some fuel. Might start bringing in some of the mini cereal packs. Do they still do those variety 8 packs :confused: . I'm the only one around at that hour so no probs munching at the comp, just there's no where to wash up so looks I'll be taking the bowl with me every day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

01_corny.jpg

Doesnt' get any better. :pac:

and
    enervitene500gCan.jpg developed a small addiction to that stuff last summer. Bloody pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NiallerH

clown bag wrote: »
    While on the subject of food, can anyone recommend something for when I arrive to work in the mornings. I've started to take a longer route into work (1hr 15mins instead of the usual 20 mins) and doing it on empty in an effort to finally shed the bit of a belly. No canteen in the job so is there anything handy I can throw in the bag. (other than sambos at 7am and again for lunch :( )

The night before my 12km commute I bung the following in the blender:
    2 tablespoons of porridge oatflakes
    2 tablespoons of natural yogurt
    1 bannana
    1 fig
    Handful of sultanas (any dried fruit can replace the fig or sultanas)
    150ml of milk
    1 tablespoon of flaked almonds (optional)
    Bring into work in a screwtop tupperware beaker and can drink/slobber at my desk. Keeps me going til elevenses anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Am I reading this right ?
    Does the breakfast I eat before the run to work stop me burning the belly ?
    Does it slow my metab down too ?

thanks
    rob

NiallerH wrote: »
    The night before my 12km commute I bung the following in the blender:
    2 tablespoons of porridge oatflakes
    2 tablespoons of natural yogurt
    1 bannana
    1 fig
    Handful of sultanas (any dried fruit can replace the fig or sultanas)
    150ml of milk
    1 tablespoon of flaked almonds (optional)
    Bring into work in a screwtop tupperware beaker and can drink/slobber at my desk. Keeps me going til elevenses anyway

That's a bit much for a 12km commute, isn't it? I do 25k commute on a banana before and a couple of toasts with jam with tea once I arrive in work ... Maybe I don't eat enough. I'd eat more for a proper training though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey,

Burning a belly or fat is dependant on diet and on an empty stomach or full stomach the difference is so so marginal. The blended shake is a brilliant idea,

But a fabulous breakfast is porridge oats, cooked or uncooked, they are a fantastic clean food and are great for keeping you going,

I like fig rolls, but prefer Jaffa cakes, they seem a little less dry whan out and about but that might just be me :D

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone is saying that Rob, just that it is OK to do (relatively short) amounts of exercise before breakfast either. Generally I do find cycling immediately before a meal, whether that be breakfast, lunch or dinner, works better than after. You are going to be starving after and have to eat something anyway (in my experience) so it works better to do it before.

Advertisement