Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Passport - Insurance Claim

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I lost my passport last week - when on holidays in thailand...
    I eventually got back under an emergency passport - 3 days late - but at least i got home!

The following term appears in my travel insurance:
    "Travel Documents
    The underwriter will pay for any reasonable expenses
    you incur, whilst obtaining replacement passports, green
    cards, visas, accommodation vouchers and petrol coupons
    or travel tickets which have been lost or stolen during the
    trip, up to the amount shown in the Schedule of benefits
    on your certificate."

The Schedule of benefits shows a maximum of €500

So my question is what is "reasonable"?

I have incurred the following expenses...
    - Emergency Passport
    - Replacement Passport
    - Passport Photos
    - Change in flights
    - 3 days additional Accomodation
    - 3 days additional living expenses, food, laundry, 20+ taxis etc
    - Phone calls (both within Thailand and back to home)
    - 2 days pay cut in work (due to late return)

Would be interested in hearing what you guys think comes under reasonable expenses...
    Unfortunately i have very few receipts for the living expenses as Taxis and food shops don't normally give out receipts in thailand

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cailin Maith

Hey,

Good question, generally each insurer has their own definition for "reasonable expenses" so without knowing which company you had the travel insurance with I can't be specific but generally, very generally, they mean that they will pay the normal expenses resulting from the loss / theft of your passport. Basically they will pay the cost of replacing the passport, but not the helicopter ride :) you took to get to the embassy.

If I was you I'd submit all receipts I had for any costs incurred due to your missing passport and see what I could get. Provided you didn't decide you needed to stay in a 5 star hotel and fly home 1st class because you were delayed you should get payment for the additional costs specifically incurred due to the loss.

Don't forget to check if there are any conditions, such as reporting the loss to the police etc. before filling out the claim form. Also include the costs you weren't able to get receipts for, they may not pay out, but God loves a trier.

Best of luck with it and next time sellotape the passport to your person :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi Cailin
    Thanks for your response
    Work are going to deduct 2.5 days pay from my salary this month as i was late returning and don't have available holidays to take...
    Do you think this would be a legitimate claimable expense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Claim for whatever you can and just see what they will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You will need receipts for everything you spent.....

You took 20+ taxis in 3days???? :eek:

First Day
    Taxi from hotel to Club i was in night before
    taxi from Club to Taxi office lost and found
    Taxi to police station
    Taxi from police station to airport (to contact airline)
    Taxi back from police station to old hotel
    Taxi to new hotel (near consulate)
    Next day:
    Taxi to consulate
    Taxi from Consulate to Translation + Passport Photo shop
    Taxi back to consulate
    Taxi back to hotel
    Next day:
    Taxi to consulate
    Taxi from Consulate to Thai immigration Bureau
    Taxi back to hotel
    Taxi to airport

Plus of course all the other Taxis in the evening time when waiting 3 nights to get the new passport

So in fact i would guess that its more like 25 Taxis - Luckily they all only cost around €1 each (except for the 3 Taxis to/from airport @ ~€10 each)
    Unfortunately though i have no receipts for any of them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Put them down anyway. Let us know how you get on. Before you claim though make sure you read the fine print of your policy for any loop holes they have to avoid paying out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cailin Maith

geecee wrote: »
    Hi Cailin
    Thanks for your response
    Work are going to deduct 2.5 days pay from my salary this month as i was late returning and don't have available holidays to take...
    Do you think this would be a legitimate claimable expense?

Have never been asked that one before, again it can depend on the policy and insurer. Put it on the claim form, at least you will have a pay slip or a letter from your boss to back that one up.

Put down every penny you spent because of the lost passport, that way even if the only pay for part you can end up getting more than you expect.

Let us know how you get on :D

Insurance co were on to me today and confirmed that the will be sending on approx half of what i have claimed...

My claim was relating to the loss of my passport

I'm not particularly happy with the outcome... But i guess some is better than none!

The parts they rejected were a claim for emergency phone cals that i had to make to home (in order to get copies of passport, birth cert) calls to theinsurance company and lost salary in work...

I didn't claim for any of the taxis - as i had no receipts for any of them...

Advertisement