Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting tyres repaired

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I drive a 01 Opel Corsa which I bought a few months ago.
    Had my first puncture the other day and replaced it myself (back left one). The spare that was in the boot was different to all the others but I had to use it none the less. The punctured tyre looks like it has a stone stuck in it so I guess that is what happened to it......

My question is what should I do. Repair the punctured tyre and put it back on the car? Buy two new tyres and put them both on the back?

Any advice is welcome.
    Prices for new tyres / repairs would be good if people have them and also can anyone recommend a place in Cork for getting this done??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    Hi,

I drive a 01 Opel Corsa which I bought a few months ago.
    Had my first puncture the other day and replaced it myself (back left one). The spare that was in the boot was different to all the others but I had to use it none the less. The punctured tyre looks like it has a stone stuck in it so I guess that is what happened to it......

My question is what should I do. Repair the punctured tyre and put it back on the car? Buy two new tyres and put them both on the back?

Any advice is welcome.
    Prices for new tyres / repairs would be good if people have them and also can anyone recommend a place in Cork for getting this done??

Thanks in advance.

When you say the spare tyre is different to the other tyres do you mean it is a different size or brand?

Having different tyre brands on a car is no big deal. Different sizes though could cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

check how deep your treads are. if they're less or close to 1.6mm, then don't bother getting them fixed, just buy new ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

It is a different make of tyre but seems to be the same size (I'll confirm that later)....

Umm how can I check the treads as to whether they are 1.6mm or under etc..

I have only had my first car for a few months so I'm still learning!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    It is a different make of tyre but seems to be the same size (I'll confirm that later)....

Umm how can I check the treads as to whether they are 1.6mm or under etc..

I have only had my first car for a few months so I'm still learning!

Thanks

welcome to the world of motoring and its unexpected expenses :D

take the tyre to a tyre shop - they will let you know it its better to replace or just fix the puncture - I bet they will tell you that it cant be fixed cause its worth more to them to sell you a new one. but go in with you head high with confidence and just give it to them and say can you fix this i'll be back in an hour.
    if you really want to check you tyre thread dept then you will need to get a thread guage from holfords or similar motor factor.
    most tyre manufactures recommend a min of 3mm thread dept. i have seen tyres that look terribley worn but are perfectly leagal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Is the spare a space saver wheel? You'll know that because it's a little tin wheel with a skinny tyre on it. Better off not driving too far with one of those.
    Repairing a punctured tyre is easy enough. Cost's €10 or €15 max. Possibly less than €10 in some places. They'll let you know if it's worn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When you go in to get it repaired, don't ask "Can you fix this puncture or do I need a new tyre (or two!!)". You would only be asking to be fleeced.

If the puncture can be repaired (and hopefully it can), be sure they balance the wheel too. Have them put it back on the car for you as well.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bazz26 wrote: »
    Different sizes though could cause issues.
    Also different types, ie x ply and Radial :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Does anyone even use cross ply on passenger cars any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And to answer OP - I agree with the others, take the car to a reputable tyre place, ask their opinion. If you trust them, go for it.
    If you want to make super sure, take it to two tyre places and if their stories agree, go for it.

Brand doesn't need to match, only size (e.g. 195/60 R15).

Checking if your tyre is worn, you should look into the tread grooves, you should see some raised "tabs". If they're level with the running surface of the tyre, you should replace the tyre.

img_twi.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

AudiChris wrote: »
    Does anyone even use cross ply on passenger cars any more?
    They are still availible for pre 70ies classic cars and can be got in almost any size. I bought a VW camper camper ten years ago and found that the spare was still a X ply :eek: !! They are still used on trucks, busses and tractors etc. http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/Crossply.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm pay 30 quid a tyre plus fitting or get tyres repaired and risk my own life.... i wonder what id go for. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S.I.R wrote: »
    hmmm pay 30 quid a tyre plus fitting or get tyres repaired and risk my own life.... i wonder what id go for. :pac:
    Pay 30 quid tyre and you might be risking your life alright. Are you saying you never get a puncture fixed?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i use jerry murphy tyres in ballincollig.
    their up on bebo as http://www.bebo.com/roadandrallytyres with all their contact details

Mmm, you have Murphy in your handle, 3 posts and all recommending a business with a similar surname. Is there some sort of link here or just coincidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

oh he's on here too, ressurected another thread with some shameless advertising there aswell :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pmurphymets9100

hmm. looks like a conspiracy alright doenst it?
    or it could be murphy is a common name in these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hmm. looks like a conspiracy alright doenst it?
    or it could be murphy is a common name in these parts!

either that or his first 3 posts ever on the site are shamelessly advertising a business with his surname..... hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Advertisement