Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding Detection Equipment

• 12-05-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

Right the facts are..

Was driving in Western Australia over the weekend. A marked patrol car coming towards me activated its lights, did a U turn and drove up behind me and pulled me over. The cop tells me I was doing 85kph in a 70kph zone.
    My question is do police have on board equipment to detect speed of on-coming traffic?? I know it exists for traffic being followed.

For the record I was let off with a caution. I think he did this because I have an Irish licence and cannot gets points and also the van was registered to company so I guess he did'nt see the point in issuing a fine.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

yes they can detect ocoming traffic speeds and have alarms to tell them even if they are not actively checking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think a similar system is being implemented in the Irish cars now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Sorry but why are you asking an Irish site about Australian police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Why not ask here?? They are both common-law countries with similiar policing.

Just curious as to whether technology exists for police to detect speed of on-coming vehicles. Just wasnt sure if the cop was chancing his arm or not.

McCrack wrote: »
    Why not ask here?? They are both common-law countries with similiar policing.

Just curious as to whether technology exists for police to detect speed of on-coming vehicles. Just wasnt sure if the cop was chancing his arm or not.

one has nothing to do with the other, the type of law does not reflect the technology available or in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I was stopped doing 123 in a 110 zone near Bordertown South Australia. Same story as I was detected by an oncoming patrol car. I was let off with a caution ( The officer was originally from Raheny)

I think the question related to Ireland, Do we have the technology in patrol cars to detect oncoming vehicles speed? I think it would be very effective on the narrow winding national routes we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I was stopped doing 123 in a 110 zone near Bordertown South Australia. Same story as I was detected by an oncoming patrol car. I was let off with a caution ( The officer was originally from Raheny) I think the question related to Ireland.

I imagine it probably did......considering you were let off ;)

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I was stopped doing 123 in a 110 zone near Bordertown South Australia. Same story as I was detected by an oncoming patrol car. I was let off with a caution ( The officer was originally from Raheny)

I think the question related to Ireland, Do we have the technology in patrol cars to detect oncoming vehicles speed? I think it would be very effective on the narrow winding national routes we have.

What are the chances?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its really simple technology actualy!! just input your figures into a simple formula and bang!! V(ab)=V(a)-V(b) where V is velocity and a and b are the two cars!

Advertisement