Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toasted Sambos

• 12-05-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

This thread has probably been done before but what the hell.

I was wondering if anyone had any unusual toasted sandwiches they make.

For years, I have been having toasted beans and cheese (and ham sometime) at home but started having them at work. I got some strange looks and queries and I am trying to convinve them how tasty they are and how the beans cook within the sandwich maker.

Anyone ever tried this. I usually sprinkle some seasoning on them aswell. The cheese melts into the beans and its just deliche... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

toasted beans and cheese is indeed awesome, but you have to let it sit there for half an hour before you can eat it w/o burning your mouth, the things get superheated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Toasted Ham and Banana.

YUMMY

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tobehonestwithy

Tree wrote: »
    toasted beans and cheese is indeed awesome, but you have to let it sit there for half an hour before you can eat it w/o burning your mouth, the things get superheated

funnily enough, the top of my mouth is burnt since yesterday due to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Banana.

It tastes like banana fritters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

this works well if you have made a batch of spag bol,

take some of the bolanse sause (mince, veg, sause mix etc) and some grated mozeralla, beautiful, again, leave to cool if you dont want a burnt mouth

even nicer if you coat some of the out side of the sambo in garlic/herb butter before toasting

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I had one of those sandwich toasters in college and a drunken favourite toastie was egg and cheese. Basically put the bottom slice of bread on the sandwich toaster and put loads of cheese around the edges, crack an egg in the middle and salt and pepper! You have to leave it in the sandwich toaster about 2 minutes longer than normal.....they were nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Not unusual, but toasted red pepper and cheese is my favourite toasted sambo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

Swampy wrote: »
    Banana.

Same here. It's a tasty snack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

ditto with the spag bol.

although my favourite, not exactly ingenious one, is the leftovers from christmas turkey, cranberry sauce, grated chedder. with both sides of the bread buttered.

oh yeah, more ingenious one...
    grated chocolate. again, with both sides of the bread buttered.
    it.is.to.die.for. (actually quite likely, but worth it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Not unusual, but toasted red pepper and cheese is my favourite toasted sambo!

just had a toasted peppers, tomato, onion and cheese wrap for lunch. It was YUM!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Not too strange - but Mozzerella and pesto is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

irish-stew wrote: »
    this works well if you have made a batch of spag bol,

take some of the bolanse sause (mince, veg, sause mix etc) and some grated mozeralla, beautiful, again, leave to cool if you dont want a burnt mouth

even nicer if you coat some of the out side of the sambo in garlic/herb butter before toasting

:cool:

Oh that sounds yum, have some in the freezer, going to try it tommorow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I had a lovely one in Budapest last year - ham, local cheese, onion & BROCCOLI :D Sounds demented but tasted yum yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Gonna try this beans and cheese option. Sounds like it'll be amazing or a disaster. But i have high hopes.:D

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Gonna try this beans and cheese option. Sounds like it'll be amazing or a disaster. But i have high hopes.:D

oh believe me, its good. Just let it cool down a bit ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cool down a lot, honestly, punch a hole int eh top of them to help them cool a bit faster.

savage toasted sandwich - chicken, cheese, satay sauce. yummmmmeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When toasted sandwich makers first came out, about 200 years ago, we were given toasted banana sandwiches with ice-cream for dessert after Sunday dinner. Every Sunday.

Rank.

George Foreman is your only man for a decent toastie. You don't get that welded together crust, which tastes like non-stick coating, which is the only way anyone ever discovered what non-stick coating tasted like, by using one of these machines.

Then cleaning them... lifes too short..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Beans and cheese: GENIUS!!!;)
    Good work people.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

banana with nutella, a bit rich but AMAZING

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Beans and cheese: GENIUS!!!;)
    Good work people.

nice one. Spread the word!