Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #33 - Deftones - White Pony

Comments

About bloody time. I remember nominating White Pony months back after I'd finially bought it.

I've loved the Defotnes for years, but for some strange reason I never picked up White Pony and it was only when glancing through my CD's that I realised it was their only album I didn't own.

Listening to it for the first time in years I got goosebumps. It's the perfect album and one which has at track to match every mood. I could go on and on about just how awe-inspiringly brillaint it is but tbh you'd be wasting your time when you should be listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

great album. brings back memories. i remember living in rome (summer 2000?), and change (house of flies) was on rock radio and mtv a lot. really good album.
    digital bath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm glad this made it. Even if you're not that much of a Deftones fan, you should pick up this album! I first bought it in 2001 along with a bunch of other CDs in a second hand CD shop in San Francisco called Rasputin music. It cost me a ridiculous $5 simply because it was a little scuffed and the box had a crack. I was on my way to Lake Tahoe by bus so I needed something to keep me entertained. I listened to the album end to end over and over again. It really was that good! It's really dreamy and ethernal at times but then can change so quickly to being very, very angry.

I had heard the single "Back to School" on the radio but the grey version of the album that I bought didn't have that on it :(. It was a couple of years later that I got a hold of a black version which had that and some other song as well. It's a testament to Moreno's song-writing ability that he could just sit down and write a song that he knew would be an MTV-friendly single!

I've actually spent the last few minutes trying to figure out what my favourite song from the album is. I honestly can't decide. It's a toss-up between Knife Prty, Korea and Digital Bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Great album, like the guys said above, reminds me of good times with good people.....and its good music too. Back to school being a favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

A classic of modern music, it kinda defies the boundaries of genre but I think it's fair to categorise it as alternative metal if you need to categorise it at all. This album brings back good memories of 2000/2001 and I'm glad it evokes similar feelings of nostalgia for fellow fans as it was an important soundtrack to that period of my life.

It really is a special album and the amount of depth and imagination that permeates these songs despite their musical simplicity is a testament to the wonderful production job from Terry Date.

Musically a very expressive collection of songs with elegant imagery being created by mercurial vocals from chino who can be both tender and brutal all in the same song. Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

The first Deftones album I bought, and probably the deepest and most emotional I've heard, 'Passenger' featuring Maynard James Keenan is just amazing.

Actually the thread has made me start listening to them again, havent listened to them in a while:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davide

Great abum, brings back the memories. Love the dreamy feel to 'Digital Bath' and 'Passenger' is just amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 perfect_circle

this is one of my favorite albums of all time. after all these years i still love it! by far the best deftones album imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

by far the best deftones album imo
    I wouldn't say it's their best album by far. Adrenaline and especially Around The Fur run it pretty close as they have some excellent songs as well. I have to say I'm far from impressed with their recent releases though.

I've also seen them in concert twice and each time they have been very disappointing. The band seemed to have very little interaction with each other or the crowd and they seemed to be going through the motions with the songs rather than putting any energy into them. Anyone else got an opinion on their live show? Maybe I just caught them at bad times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Meh.
    I think both Adrenaline and Around the Fur are better albums.
    WP does have some ok moments I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

gucci wrote: »
    Great album, like the guys said above, reminds me of good times with good people.....and its good music too. Back to school being a favourite.

back to school was actually on an EP that followed WP because the band didn't really think the song fitted onto the album. what's on WP is the mini maggit thing... basically a long, drawn out mix of the song to try and make it fit, and to give you enough of a taste of the song to make you buy the EP.

anyway, i nominated this album ages ago. glad to see it get its dues. great album. one of my favourites of all time. i think latter albums from the band are trying to re-capture the mood of WP but falling short, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 perfect_circle

malice_ wrote: »
    Anyone else got an opinion on their live show? Maybe I just caught them at bad times.

Saw them at a festival in Toronto a few years back and was very disappointed. Chino's voice cracked about halfway through the set and it seemed very half assed. They were one of the opening acts before Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (yuck) so they had a short set.. was one of the biggest let downs I've ever experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

****ing brillliant album well deserves to be album of the week. TBH I have not really listened to much of their other stuff, but what I remember from the one or two listens was that I didn't really like the stuff as much as WP.

To this day I cannot figure out why they did not release Knife prty as a single ( or if they did why it does not have a video). To me that was a the standout track on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Bravo!

Personal faves are Digital Bath, Passenger, and Change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have to say I'd never listened to Deftones until recently. Bought a car there a few months back and the previous owner had put a Deftones sticker on the back window so thought I may as well get into it.

Anyway, I remember 'Back To School' when it first came out and really liked it but never followed it up. Listening to album finally now and it's really, really solid. If the rest of their stuff is as good I'll drive my car with pride! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Delighted this got album of the week, my second fave deftones album after there self titled.

Got into the tones around 3 years ago after downloading the song change randomly. Never was i so blown away so after finding 50 euro in the back of a taxi one drunken night i bought the album. Best decision of my like, digital bath, change, korea, knife party, the entire album all classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

This is one of my favourite albums ever. Such a great mood to this album. Dark, etheral, sexy, hard. Pink Maggit is such an epic song along with many others.The production is unbelievable. I could listen to the first ten seconds of Digital Bath all day for that drum sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I've been listening to deftones since around 2000/2001 (I was 11/12 at the time) and I've been listening to this album and holding it on a very high, untouchable pedestal ever since (speaking in regards of how incredibly awesome it is, not literally).

Every single song, including The Boys Republic is the epitome of what I want from music.

This weeks choice is Winrar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

whoops, EDIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Adore the Deftones. White Pony is a killer album. Elite is my favorite track on it. Want that played at my funeral, everyone has to stand up playing air guitar when it comes to the slide section towards the end. Finally caught them last year twice at the Ambassador, they were immense. Cant wait for the new album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Ambassador show was immense. A brilliant concert, so much energy and passion. WP is a great album, Deftones (self titled album) is my favorite one though I think, dark, brooding and angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Amazing album. Elite has been my ring tone now for months :)

They are one of the few consistently good bands around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Amazing album. When I first got into metal , a dude from my school gave me a big pile of cd's to listen to, and 'white pony' was one of them. I'd never heard anything like it. 'Knife Prty', 'Feiticeira', 'Change', all classics. 'Back to School' has always been close to my heart because I remember hearing it a lot in my first year of secondary school,and it reminds me of that time. I've always been annoyed that it wasn't on 'WP', at least the version that I bought. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Over the last week ive started listening to this album again and the more i listen to it, i realise that in my opinion it is one of the greatest albums of all time. it just draws you in like no other. RX Queen and passenger are just astounding

Advertisement