Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic treatment

Options
  • 12-05-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Well Lads,
    Just in case I hadnt made enough threads!

I dont have a great sounding tracking room, or mixing room for that matter!

It is around 12foot by 8 foot? (im kind of pulling them figures out of my ass)

I was thinking, is it possible to pick a corner and treat it so it works as an iso booth? I have two large office divider jobbys, could i cover them in aurelex type stuff in an L shape and have the mic facing in between? how good/bad would this be?

OR! should i just go with a se reflexion filter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hi sei046,

I have a 10 x 10 Ft room and the idea of building a booth seemed a bit bonkers. I built a booth and covered it in aurelex acoustic treatment and the sound improvement was huge. I would say GO 4 IT and dont let anyone tell you any different!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

How did you build the booth? any pics? How expensive did it work out?

Well on the outside of the booth and in the ceiling on the inside we used tongue and groove wood strips. the booth is big enough to sit a guitarist or amp or vocal mic in, not drums. the booth walls were packed with 5 materials. foam and leather and stuff. It cost about €800
    not including the small gooseneck lamp

Hmm.... Something to think about. I will definitely do something. So an open booth is no good? As in a L shape with foam covering it, singers back to the corner and the mic facing him with padding directly behind it?

The closed booth should be more effective. Thick door, small window, nice light and then you will have a nice vibe :)

• Advertisement

Im just not sure If i have the room. My tracking room is packed at the minute!

If i can do it in an attic then so can you :o

The acoustic foam should be fairly expensive. How soundproof is your booth?

The real Aurelex stuff is very expensive but its dense material is a proper bonus and has a great advantage over the cheaper stuff. The vocal booth I have is not fully sound proofed. I would say 65% at best. But don't under estimate 65%, that is a considerable amount of noise reduction and you will notice a big change in the sound of recordings. People told me it couldn't be done and its not worth your while but now when people come up to my home studio they go wow 'you have a window, real tight' . The bottom line is if 3 people are cutting grass I can record no problem. If someone is cutting concrete I have a problem. If I move out to a larger facility I will be throwing money at my sound booth and drum room but for now what I have works and looks very nice. The booth is at an angle impossible for taking a shot but if you are around next weekend you are more than welcome to come up and see what I have done. I am very proud of it. You will be glad you came up. It helps when you see ideas that work, hopefully it will get you excited.

D

dav your a gent. I wonder how good the cheaper stuff is.

• Advertisement

sei046 wrote: »
    dav your a gent. I wonder how good the cheaper stuff is.

Well I packed the cheaper stuff into the walls (or should I say I had the carpenter pack the cheaper stuff into the walls. The cheaper stuff is a hundred times cheaper than the expensive stuff. I have my control room padded out with the expensive stuff and this enables a fine dense sound for mixing purposes. You are talking about a 70% difference in density. I have used both and there is no comparison, Aurelex is the real deal but 1 box and a couple of aurlex bass traps and you will hear the difference. There are other materials like rock wool (especially hard fabric with small bits of what I think is glass or something) Mix it up! Use whatever you can afford and perhaps try a mix of each component. You dont need 3 boxes of Aurlex. 1 BOB of aurelex square sheets a few aurlex bass trappings and loads of cheap stuff light foam and you will be wondering why you didn't think of this earlier!!!

Ok. just did some looking and clearing of rubbish. The room would be 2.1 metres high, 1.4 metres long and 1.2 metres wide. Sounds small but more than enough for a singer, guitar amp.

What you reckon? Will just do it with studwalling based to struts which run across the ceiling and to the floor. How would you treat this?

I would treat it would a few square panels on the inside, not too much as you wan to conserve the space and make it look bigger than it is. I would spend some work at the final stage using tongue and groove wood on the ceiling and outside of the booth, It has a great look, smell nice and have a nice acoustic sound. Then you might want to have a thick door built with a small cutting in its middle for a small but effective looking window. People don't like feeling trapped even if it is a gimmick. I would buy tons of the cheap stuff foam and pack it onto the walls. Use a thick wool as a fabric and perhaps go shopping in town into carpet place, you would be amazed by the amount of interesting suitable fabrics that are available. Last but no lease use a rubber mat or something to catch the sound as it hits the floor. You should look at thick carpet rolls for this or simply car mats attached together. Perhaps by a cheap leather imitation to give a sense of finish on the 4 walls. Don't forget if you can line the booth so that there are no horizontal or vertical lines the sound will absorb better.Oh and remember your ceiling does not have to be high, the smaller the better for vocal work and guitar work, bass amp and guitar amp recordings!

What about lining the ENTIRE inside in that eggbox foam with a pillar of foam on the four sides

Its not sound isolation as much (iso booth......duh) as wanting a completely dead sound

What about lining the ENTIRE inside in that eggbox foam with a pillar of foam on the four sides

Yes! Once you have built the booth it will take time, money, taught and recording in it before you start to make changes. So look at the project as an ongoing project that will evolve. At first I certainly didn't have the cash to get everything right first go. It takes time to develop the room within a room. It takes experimentation with fabrication. Some ideas you try will work others wont. But if you keep working on the project it will look and sound great eventually. Are you recording people professionally? Do you care how it looks? Whatever the case put as much work and development into it as you have your skills and eventually you will never look back.I have been developing my booth over the last few years.My third effort will be a better effort if you catch my drift. At first it sounded good but looked cramped and un appealing on a professional level. Then I fixed those issues

My booth history:

Booth A - Nice sound, bad look
    Booth B - Nice look, nice sound but still a bit small
    Booth C - Large, looks nice and sounds amazing!
    Thats my 3 steps, now hopefully if I get to step C (Professional, commercial studio with great booth) I will have succeeded...

Cheers man. So completely line the inside with that eggbox foam. the solid foam pillars at every corner, small window, door with foam on it and a nice airtight seal.

Cheers man. So completely line the inside with that eggbox foam. the solid foam pillars at every corner, small window, door with foam on it and a nice airtight seal.

Sounds like a perfect start best of luck with it, keep me updated with the progress!

Great Will do. If anyone knows anywhere that sells that cheap eggbox foam i would love to know. I know the german spots do it

Here is a plan of the studio. I realise its the most useless plan ever without any dimensions or materials but does anyone see some nice place for bass traps?

Every corner in the mixing room? Some panels behind my monitors?

• Advertisement

Here is a plan of the studio. I realise its the most useless plan ever without any dimensions or materials but does anyone see some nice place for bass traps?

Every corner in the mixing room? Some panels behind my monitors?

Yes I would put one in each corner behind the mixer and possibly 2 at the back left and right corners

Just wondering lads, is this going to sound very boxy?

egg cartons might make it sound boxy if you dont build a portioned wall over them and use some foam and sponge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Don't know if this really helps... but i paid about 500 quid for a load of videos from a german studio guy who really knows his stuff and goes into room modes and how to test sound-proofing, sub positioning etc.... the whole shaboo shebang - but, after watching it he basically says that if you don't know what the room mode is get a professional to help you out or all your mixes will retain the mode of the room they were mixed in... i'll try to explain, but i'm a newboy at this stuff.

The distance from wall to wall causes a wave to come back to the listeners sweetspot - now imagine a frequency that causes phasing at that sweetspot... you would eq it down as you'd be imagining it louder - really annoying! - this causes the imprint on your eqing efforts and is real pain - and this is just one of many problems when it comes to sound proofing! - i aright pain in the butt.

If you want me too i'll try to rip as much info from the videos and type it out manually lol - because all your efforts to try and supress the sound bouncing around will be in vain if a fundamental thing such as the room mode is overlooked - the guy goes into testing at 85db (when the curve of frequencies are most balanced for hearing), and is mainly aimed at mastering - but again really detailed in the video...

There are workarounds once you become aware of these phenomena, but very few unfortunately! - the mode of the room ruins everything, but there are charts and some math for telling you what your room mode is (so you know what frequency will be boosted and therefore rectify it via EQ.

Again you can poke me if you want the formulas in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Neurojazz wrote: »
    get a professional to help you out or all your mixes will retain the mode of the room they were mixed in...

There are workarounds once you become aware of these phenomena, but very few unfortunately! -

I agree!!

I say.... A gathering at my studio, load of wood, load of foam, nails, drill, glue, 2 crates of miller and tiger beer and a BBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

if you don't know what the room mode is get a professional to help you out or all your mixes will retain the mode of the room they were mixed in

just thought id share my understanding of room modes, im sure some of you know this stuff inside out but thought id throw it up anyway:)

Every frequency has a wavelength. wavelength = speed of sound/frequency (s.o.s. is approx 346 m/s)

If you have an 80hz sine wave the wavelength = 346/80 = 4.325 metres. if your room is 4.325 metres long (or a multiple of it) any 80hz waves are gonna bounce from one wall to the over perfectly, constructively interfering with itself (!) and getting stronger and stronger. so this frequency will be a primary mode of the room and the main one you have to watch out for. A secondary room mode is one that bounces off 2 walls that gets stuck in the loop, won't be as strong as the primary but still one to watch out for. These standing waves are the ones that you will EQ out even thought there not too strong on the recording at all. Other standing waves/loops can build up by bouncing off 2/3/4/5... walls, these are 2nd,3rd, 4th order room modes, and are less troublesome the higher the order.
    2.1 metres high, 1.4 metres long and 1.2 metres wide

So daves 3 primary(1st order) room modes would be:
    346/2.1 = approx 165hz
    346/1.4 = approx 247hz
    346/1.2 = approx 288hz

Also halves/quarters/eighths and multiples of these frequencies will be problematic cos theyll form these loops too.

Theres some free room mode calculators online to get the higher orders which are more complicated to calculate, and remember, wiki is your friend:)

Cheers man. Im grand on the physics side so i must do some reading to see how i can sort these problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I have two large office divider jobbys, could i cover them in aurelex type stuff in an L shape and have the mic facing in between? how good/bad would this be?

Great idea, they're called gobos! Those office dividers are a great money saving way of doing it. They actually have acoustic ratings as part of their design. Obviously for a very different application but they're still useful. As has been said many times round here, acoustics is a whole world of pain that falls outside the normal sound blokes remit or area of training. Try various things to see what works in your room and position. Until I moved house a few months ago I had the room from f**king hell. I used to make a L shape with homemade gobos with the mic at the deepest point of the L. Then Paul White from Sound On Sound mixed a tune and he said that I would have been better off putting the gobos parallel with the mic close to one of the gobos. Makes sense when I think of it now.

There's a guy selling acoustic material in Dublin somewhere and apparently he's quite happy to drop out and check out your space and advice you. I know someone who wanted to spend a wad load of cash with him and he advised them not too as they wouldn't achieve what they were after. Honest guy it seems. I'll find out his details and post them here.

Advertisement