Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left groceries behind me in Supermarket

Options
  • 12-05-2008 1:02pm

I bought ~€20 of groceries last Thursday in Dunnes in town after a few pints. While emptying my pockets in my friends house on Saturday I pulled out the receipt and had a quick glance through the items, but couldn't remember putting one item away when i got home (it was a frozen pizza, and was the only item that is kept in the freezer).

I was semi-drunk and also semi-distracted because a junkie was having a bit of a sit-down protest at the front door because he wasn't allowed in, so he was shouting at the security guard while lying on the ground blocking the door.

The only conclusion i can come to is that I left it behind on the counter, and was wondering would I have any chance of going and telling them to see if i can get what i paid for. To compound the issue I can't find the receipt now, but surely they have procedures in place for when this kinda thing happens? They would have noticed that it was left on the counter about 5 seconds after i left the supermarket.

Does anyone here work in any Dunnes and know if there's anything can be done? I know it's only a fiver's worth of pizza but I was well miffed yesterday when i went ot make it and found it wasn't there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Since its been a couple of days I seriously doubt it, they probably kept it at the counter for a little while and then when you didn't come back put it back on sale.

Your chances of the cashier remembering you are also very small, think of the volume of people that would have passed through that checkout over the last few days.

Its only a pizza, bit of an annoyance but probably not worth the effort of going back in for it. If it had been the same day as you bought it I would have definitely recommended you go back but this is the fourth day after you bought them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, depends on the shop and what you've left behind. Most shops will hold onto until the end of that day's trading. If it's a frozen or refrigerated item, they make make a note of it, then put it back for sale if it hasn't heated up much - when you come back, they'll just pick one off the shelf.

Without a receipt and saying, "I bought it here a few days ago", twill probably be more hassle than the fiver is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in a Dunnes in town. Not in grocery. It would probably have been left for a good while at the checkout or wherever you left it, but rest assured, it has gone back to it's place, especially since it's frozen. If you find the receipt, you might have a fighting chance of getting same pizza for free, but without it...fairly useless.

Customers leave their Dunnes bags/other bags at the counter the whole time, or on the floor in front. When this happens, they will be brought to the other side of the till, and after 2 hours or so, they will be brought to customer services, or if valuable, the safe on the ground floor. But a pizza?

Cheers for the replies lads. Kinda thought it was a longshot tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cheers for the replies lads. Kinda thought it was a longshot tbh.
    Note to self - don't shop when drunk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

A lot of shops have a system where if a product or bag is left behind, the items are written into a book and then put back onto the shops shelf’s so if anyone comes back they have a record of the products in the book and can be replaced easily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

......... but surely they have procedures in place for when this kinda thing happens? They would have noticed that it was left on the counter about 5 seconds after i left the supermarket.

No receipt and you forgot about your shopping for about 24hrs and you want them to have procedures in place for this? :pac:

Your kidding me right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cabaal wrote: »
    No receipt and you forgot about your shopping for about 24hrs and you want them to have procedures in place for this? :pac:

Tesco do.
    The cashier's supposed to log the items that were left behind with customer service.
    Then you can come back with the receipt (or enough verifiable information) and they pull it out of the computer system and let you go back and replace the items you'd left behind in the first place.
    I can't remember what (if any) time limit applied to coming back, mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Cabaal wrote: »

All customers should be breathalysed! :D

Advertisement