Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil/Rio advice

• 12-05-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading to Rio on Friday and my level of organisation is so bad it must be unprecedented. I just have a couple of questions about travel.

I'm staying in Copacabana for the first 4 nights then probably on to Ipanema or somewhere along those lines. The thing is we want to go to Ihla Grande which I believe entails a 4 hour bus and 90 minute boat journey then we want to take in Iguazu falls which is apparently close to a 24 hour bus journey, then go on to Buenos Aires either by flying or bus.

Does anyone have any experience of these routes and what would they advise re; bussing the Iguazu route and what's the best method to go on to Buenos Aires?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I travelled from Rio to the falls and then onwards to B.A. using buses, each leg was a good 24hours or so but the buses over there are fantastic. Pay the little bit extra and go for "cama" , its like first class on a plane. Easiest 24hours on a bus I ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Cheers Gaz. I reckon we're gonna get the bus from Rio to the falls after Ihla Grande then probably fly from Iguazu to Buenos Aires. It's only about €80.

Incidentally, how much do these 24 hr cama bus journeys cost approximately?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I done it for 160 pesos i think which is around 30 euro a few years ago. It took 18 hours or so. Just try avoid the back row if you go with the bus option as the room is less spacious than the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good stuff. Thanks Neamhshutasach.

Now to try and think of all the little things I've forgotten to pack/buy! Any good online guides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I spent about 9 months in South America doing the whole bus thing and even going for the expensive option and picking the cama class 24 hours on a bus is still 24 hours on a bus! But they play dvd's (sometimes in English but usually in Spanish, they might put on English subtitles for you if you ask nicely), give you food and drink and one on memorable journey we played Bingo (first prize was a bottle of whiskey). You're right to look into flying though. About 4 hours from Igazu is San Ignacio Mini which are Jesuit ruins from the 17thC. The bus from Igazu to BA stops there, you could get off, see the ruins and get on the next bus to BA.

Watch yourself on the beach in Copa; don't bring anything with you except the equivilant of a fiver for a beer. Ipanema is nice to walk around. There is an Irish bar, think it's just called 'The Irish Pub'. It's run by a guy from Cork with great food and all the gaa and football. Outside it every sunday is a really good tourist market which is great for souvenir shopping. On the opposite end of the square is a churrassco which is great value and the standard restaurant in Brazil. You have a buffet with salads and carbs (bread, rice, pasta etc). You are given a disc, red on one side, green on the other. Waiters walk around with different types of cuts and types of meat, if you want anything just turn your disc to green. It's a set price (about 20 euros) and you can stay and eat for as long as you like. Drinks and dessert are extra. I went on a favela tour which I can highly recommend. I choose carefully as I was aware of the moral issues and didn't want to be on a bus just driving through. It was with www.bealocal.com and they show you the nursery they have built with tourist revenue so far. There are only 3 people involved in the company. You get a motorbike to the top of the favela and walk down through the back streets stopping in bakers, houses etc. No one seemed to mind and the kids loved getted their photos taken with digital cameras and seeing the results. We went to an art studio where the kids paint iconic images of Rio and a percentage of each sale is used to train up new kids. Definately bring enough money to buy something here. I have an amazing oil on canvas for about 15 euros, about A4 size. Nothing bigger would go into my rucksack. You will see copious examples of guns, drugs and gangs. When we were there there was some trouble and we'd to wait in a friendly house for nearly an hour before it was safe to continue. It's a great tour though and they gladly accept donations of money or even smelly backpacker clothes if you're at the end of your trip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement