Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it in order for a mod to ban...

Options
  • 12-05-2008 2:19pm

...or suspend a poster (I think the phrase used was 'infraction') where the mod has contributed to a thread and disagreed with that poster? Thought on sites in general it usually is a different mod?

No big deal, have been kicked off the after hours section which I rarely contribute to anyway. Apparently, on a drugs thread, I allegedly advocated the use of drugs. But the moderator evidently has his own views and opinion on the topic which may have coloured his judgment.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Links?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Links would be very helpful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

...or suspend a poster (I think the phrase used was 'infraction') where the mod has contributed to a thread and disagreed with that poster? Thought on sites in general it usually is a different mod?

I've never had a problem with a mod banning someone or taking action against someone who they disagreed with as long as the action they took was warranted.
    No big deal, have been kicked off the after hours section which I rarely contribute to anyway. Apparently, on a drugs thread, I allegedly advocated the use of drugs. But the moderator evidently has his own views and opinion on the topic which may have coloured his judgment.

If you want I can take a look at it and give you my opinion. Links for what got you banned would be handy. Who was it that banned you?

Edit: Just seen the infraction now. The post was deleted so no links to it, here is a link to the infraction (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055292238) mods eyes only though. He told someone to try drugs. That could land the site in some seriously dodgy waters. I would have done the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, an infraction is a very different thing to a ban, or to 'suspend' a user. Infractions are really just warnings, or the like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well, an infraction is a very different thing to a ban, or to 'suspend' a user. Infractions are really just warnings, or the like.

He was banned for two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But the moderator evidently has his own views and opinion on the topic which may have coloured his judgment.
    I think the only view the mod had that was relevant in your banning was that drugs are illegal - and you advocated their use.

Unless the mod had done the same thing in his posts, I can't see what difference it makes that he had posted at all. One of notable features of Boards is that mods are 'users' first and 'mods' second.

Your mod just switched modes when you crossed the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Aye infractions are just like quick warning pms - I think the word "infraction" may taken as meaning something more serious. We could look at changing this to something more cuddly in the same way we changed the "acting the muppet" infraction to "acting the spanner" to "being naughty" :)

V.

Whoops conversation has moved.. :) not really relevant now as it was a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

See, this is what happens when you dumb down the leaving cert - you wind up having to cuddlify the english language....

:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You gotta try it at least once and tell me then if its better or not

Telling someone to use drugs is completely irresponsible.

Ban deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I don't see any conflict between Terry's actions as a user and Terry's actions as a moderator. He simply switched modes. I don't get the impression that he's throwing his mod. weight around / abusing his position. He's following the rules guideliness most of agreed on at some stage another when it comes to discussing drugs:
    We understand that people take drugs and want to discuss it; discussion within reason is acceptable in AH.
    "Within reason" usually follows the lines of:
    No advocating their use - telling some random person to take any drug, illegal or legal, is dangerous. You have no idea whether that person should/could take the drug and how it'd affect them, so prescribing it is just silly.
    No discussing where to get drugs - in any shop/deal: batches change, suppliers range. It's far too close to a prescription (for a drug that could be different to what you took). It's just silly.
    No silly "i um sooo toasted /toast" threads- they're just silly.

In summary, don't be silly and we won't have to slap you on the wrists.

(In this instance: the user was being silly. Terry did what I would have done (I cannot speak for the moderators) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've been modded by Terry before. I have to agree with Karoma; he's one of the better mods of the forum.

I've been warned about similar OP; it was beruthiel actually - in the context of a PI thread I was telling a poster about a drug experience that I was spinning in a positive and advisable light. It just cannot be done, really. People will make up their own minds; and boards wants to keep its hands clean so let it.

But I notice another mod posted there and said they took drugs and it made them feel giggly. I said dance music was better on it, that's hardly linking up someone to a dealer. Again, I stress that its no big deal, but how come Terry didn't ban his fellow mod (not that I believe he deserved it either for simply relating an experience)?

Another reply was...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52970614&postcount=136

Hardly a damning indictment of drugs.

It seems to me that if they're's a debate about drugs, one can't get all holier than thou when someone relates a good experience. Or else the debate becomes pretty pointless.

But I'll take my slap on the wrist.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can talk about it but you cant tell someone to do drugs. Thats the difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ban deserved OP. You put the site at risk with those kind of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Telling someone to take drugs and telling them a personal experience about using drugs are two very different things. Why do you think they are the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

See Beruthiel's post above. You didn't just say dance music was better on it. You directly advocated trying it too. The line there is not really all that fine.

Sully wrote: »
    You can talk about it but you cant tell someone to do drugs. Thats the difference :)

One can't say 'they were great, I had such fun, the time of my life, a blast, you should try it'.

But one can say 'they were great, I had such fun, the time of my life, a blast' and let the other posters draw the obvious inference, it's okay.

It seems to be a fine line. But I appreciate that the general consensus here was that I was wrong, which is fair enough. I can't be right always!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It seems to be a fine line.

Yes it is.
    If you suggest that someone takes a drug and they are stupid enough to follow your suggestion and it all goes pear shaped.
    Legally, boards could be sued.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It seems to me that if they're's a debate about drugs, one can't get all holier than thou when someone relates a good experience. Or else the debate becomes pretty pointless.

No one has been banned for saying they took drugs. You've banned for telling some one to take drugs. Big difference there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

But I appreciate that the general consensus here was that I was wrong, which is fair enough. I can't be right always!

Fair play, hopefully people will see that you've accepted it and tehy wont keep posting telling you how naughty you are.

• Advertisement

One can't say 'they were great, I had such fun, the time of my life, a blast, you should try it'.

But one can say 'they were great, I had such fun, the time of my life, a blast' and let the other posters draw the obvious inference, it's okay.

It seems to be a fine line. But I appreciate that the general consensus here was that I was wrong, which is fair enough. I can't be right always!

Your missing my point. Iv highlighted the offending comment in your post which got you banned :)

Drugs are bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

How do we feel about "You shouldn't not try them!" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's a bit much for a ban IMO, I would have thought editing the post and giving a warning would have been enough.

I'd also question the consistancy of bans of this nature. Saying something along the lines of "there's nothing wrong with a bit of weed" or "If everyone smoked weed rather than alcohol, we wouldn't have half the problems we do now" is also advocating the use of illegal drugs, yet they're both mentioned in some form numerous times on any thread on AH about drugs. Where is the line drawn? Is it all right to say the use of illegal drugs is a good thing? If it's just telling someone directly to do drugs/commit a crime that's wrong then that should be reflected in the charter.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I'd also question the consistancy of bans of this nature. Saying something along the lines of "there's nothing wrong with a bit of weed" or "If everyone smoked weed rather than alcohol, we wouldn't have half the problems we do now" is also advocating the use of illegal drugs, yet they're both mentioned in some form numerous times on any thread on AH about drugs.

Afaik that point is made many times by many posters on that particular thread, which is why I was really surprised to get banned for 2 weeks. I appreciate that modding aint easy, and the last thing mods need is some whiny poster who keeps coming back and picking at an issue, but just didn't see that ban coming at all. I wasn't trolling or stirring, gave an opinion (albeit an opinion that might be unacceptable for the sake of the forum), and got booted off. Its fair enough, rules is rules, but was just amazed at the reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the thing about boards is its not for everybody and trouble is caused by posts advocating drugs

funny-picture-tiger-pool-swim.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Lots of impressionable kids about.

'But mammy, the man on boards.ie said I should do it. He said it was good.'
    Tens to get the site in trouble and with the libel laws in Ireland, it could be a lot of trouble for this site.

JC2345, You're a stoner. We get it.

Terry wrote: »
    Lots of impressionable kids about.

Fair enough. I guess the site is open to under 18s, and wasn't really thinking about that age group. Not sure the legal liability should be a huge concern, it would seem that the cause and effect is pretty remote. But guess it's better left unsaid either way.

Anyway, no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Terry wrote: »
    JC2345, You're a stoner. We get it.
    Actually, I only smoke weed once or twice every 2/3 months, if even, haven't in about 5 months now.

But anyway, I've made my point, bans of this nature are slightly harsh (especially 2 week bans), the charter is inconsistant with the reality of the offenses people are banned for when talking about drugs, and the bans themselves are inconsistant. Feel free to take this on board, or not. Anyway, I've said what I have to say. Now let the thread descend into cat pics.

funny-pictures-bad-trip-cat-bedroom.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement