Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMDS Chorus customers in Limerick

Options
  • 12-05-2008 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Please be advised that anyone who has an ariel and using MMDS *cannot* get Chorus/UPS broadband service...the service only applies to cable customers, in addition the VDR box (Sky+ type box) is also only for cable areas.

I wasted 20mins of my life this morning calling Chorus, i should ask for a rebate :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Please be advised that anyone who has an ariel and using MMDS *cannot* get Chorus/UPS broadband service...the service only applies to cable customers, in addition the VDR box (Sky+ type box) is also only for cable areas.

I wasted 20mins of my life this morning calling Chorus, i should ask for a rebate :mad:

You half right, Broadband is only available to Cable customers, this is mentioned on the UPC site.

The pvr is available to MMDS customers, some have posted here before about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well i called to order the DVR and was told it's only available to cable customers, not MMDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its not localized in Limerick, they don't provide broadband over MMDS. Might be an idea to take Limerick out of the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

old NTL MMDS can get the DVR but not old Chorus MMDS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most MMDS is Chorus DVB-t.
    The ex NTL is DVB-c like cable (small number of subscribers), so the PVR works partly on it. Any features needing broadband won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hardly a need for a warning! for something liker this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

Please be advised that anyone who has an ariel and using MMDS *cannot* get Chorus/UPS broadband service

What a pity. Whats the reason?

I've been trying to get rid of my land-line now for ages, and get a VoIP service, due to lack of use.

I'm pretty much paying Eircom €24 per month so that I can get broadband from Imagine. its rediculous.
    Even Imagine's VoIP service won't allow you cancel the Landline rental, so whats the point.

Apart from NTL (I already have NTL digital), who else can provide basic broadband, but without requiring a landline? I assume we're talking wireless broadband providers ONLY?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Because it's just TV at 2.5GHz instead of 600MHz. Broadband needs a two-way connection.

There is a few places with fibre :)

Other than that it's wireless. But wireless varies in quality from "dialup/ISDN" speed to "fibre speed" depending on technology, supplier and package subscribed.

UPC (Chorus/NTL) only have cable broadband where the old Band I frequencies are now the return channel on the cable for Broadband. UPC has no wireless broadband licence.

I get TV and Broadband and phone from three suppliers as that gives me the best value and flexibility.

Satellite for TV & Radio (not just payTV from sky, but lots of free channels too on non-Sky satellite receivers. Totally legitimate).
    Digiweb Metro for Broadband (from before I joined them)
    O2 for Mobile (used to have Meteor).
    Cancelled phone line quite a while a go and that more than pays the basic Sky 2 x Mix packs. Also what we save in phone calls & dial-up interent is more than my bill pay mobile and Metro costs.

Long ago Chorus did have Wireless Broadband on an MMDS style aerial (Powernet) and also Wireless Phone, but they ran out of money and both those long gone (inc licences) before UPC bought them and NTL. Even then it didn't work on the SAME mesh dish as MMDS.

Advertisement