Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you partition an broadband connection?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey,

I have a 3mb broadband connection and I run 2 ethernet cables from the router to 2 different machines. Is there anyway of setting up a max usage for the machines.

I want one machine to use a max speed of 1mb and the other machine 2mb... just an idea and I am not sure if it can be set.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

http://www.uselessapplications.com/en/Application/IEThrottle.aspx

pretty useless alright, but will do what you want (only within ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solarpitch

Yeah, thanks for that but it wont do the trick. There must be a way of setting it in the router to set max speeds on certain ports. I might have a look though the router manual online and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Solarpitch wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks for that but it wont do the trick. There must be a way of setting it in the router to set max speeds on certain ports. I might have a look though the router manual online and see.

if the pcs were connected wirelessy it would be possibal to set the connection speed to 1mb/s and 2mb/s

but wired it would have to be an app on the pc

just google bandwith throttling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

What you are looking for is termed 'Quality of Service' (QoS) some SoHo routers will implement it, generally to assign priority to voip packets so that downloads don't kill phone conversations. It is not trivial to implement QoS per IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solarpitch

Thats grand, thanks guys.. I'll have a look see what I can find. I might just use an application, might be the best way around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement