Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical Bike Rack for a pregnant woman

Options
  • 12-05-2008 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hey,
    My wife is pregnant and wants to continue cycling to work. Thing is, she needs to bring the bike in the car while she drives our daughter to the creche. She then leaves the car there and cycles to work. To date, she has been heaving the bike into the boot, with one of the back seats folded down. She can't do that anymore.

Can anybody recommend a practical (and ideally inexpensive) bike rack for the back of a car (hatchback)? Something that doesn't render the boot useless because of its bulkiness.

Cheers.
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Sorry I can't recommend a bike rack but I did have a little chuckle to myself after reading the subject line and wondered why you'd put a pregnant woman on a bike rack :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 tadhg1

just bought one myself, i looked around and argos was the best value, the rack fits a hatchback hold 3 bikes cost about E50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

same as Hungrycol:D

Is there an option of leaving the bike overnight in the creche? If they are sound enough to allow her leave the car there during the day, perhaps they can safely store the bike overnight.

I use a bog standard rack occasionally but there's still a lot of lifting bikes and tying stuff up. Doesn't seem ideal for your wife's situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I thought women were advised against continuing to cycle when they get heavily pregnant...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I thought women were advised against continuing to cycle when they get heavily pregnant...

I thought he asked for advice on a car rack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Ciaran500 wrote: »

I read something that said it's not advisable cos if they fall it could hurt the baby... but we took that to essentially mean FALLING is not advisable when pregnant! So, just be careful. Do you have any other reason for saying that??

Thanks for the other replies. There's nowhere to store the bike overnight. The only option is a bike rack. I'll check that Argos one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Lothaar wrote: »
    I read something that said it's not advisable cos if they fall it could hurt the baby... but we took that to essentially mean FALLING is not advisable when pregnant! So, just be careful. Do you have any other reason for saying that??
    Nothing specific, just something I remember reading ages ago, maybe I just read the same thing as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on distance and child size, how about a bike with a child carrier (for 2!)?

Would a folding bike work? Lugging it in and out of the car might be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

...or a trailer, you can get two kids in a trailer probably easier than on the bike.

Trailer_Open.jpg

Another alternative I have seen if one of the children is a bit older is one of these sort of tack-on trailers that the kid cycles. Sort of turning the bike into a tandem- have seen someone with the older child on one of these at the back with the younger child on a seat on the crossbar.

Tandem-Trailer.jpg

Advertisement