Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I´m in Spain, how can I vote on Lisbon

Options
  • 12-05-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the answer to this? Just a matter of going to the embassy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, check with local embassy/consulate.
    They should have everything needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I am afraid it's unlikely:

Overseas voters

If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the Register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

Postal voters list

You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre but you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are a member of the Defence Forces, a member of the Garda Síochána or an Irish diplomat posted abroad or his/her spouse. You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

* of a physical illness or disability
    * you are studying full time at an educational institution away from your home address where you are registered
    * you are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    * you are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.

Source.

Your only option outside those categories is to fly home to vote.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement