Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when you read?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

I was reading something earlier today and the topic was about different writers and how some tend to be very descriptive about small things, for instance the clothes a character is wearing. And others barely mention that a character is wearing clothes at all. One person said "I think its because there are a lot of people who see whats happening when they read so its useful for them. Wheras when I read I just see the text and understand it."

So that brings me to the point. What happens when you read? Do you picture everthing you read like you are watching a little film? Or like the person in my example do you just see the text? Or is there something else that happens?

Personally I see what happens when I read. So when I think back on books I see images and scenes played out almost if i had watched it on TV or something.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hrududu wrote: »
    Personally I see what happens when I read

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

A bit of both really: I see what is happening more if I a really enjoy a book. If a book is dragging then it's more just the words on the page and getting them read...

Personally, I much rather read a book before seeing the movie as I don't like having preconceptions about what the characters/scenes are going to look like. I like having my own idea of what they look like, sometimes it's close to what is in the movies, usually it's a long way off!

Advertisement