Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Festival!

Options
  • 12-05-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Sounds like it's going to be really nice :D
    Sligo Festival
    Production House are organising a festival in Sligo which will run from 1st to 4th August. As part of the festival they are going to commission 100 local artists to create specially designed paper lanterns that will stretch along the Garavogue river and light up the city.

Too bad it's so far away. I want something now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Get onto Production House! Your our resident artist, go make something!

There you go:

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:39 am Post subject: SLIGO :: FESTIVAL

SLIGO::FESTIVAL
    Music | Theatre | Dance | Comedy | Young Folk | Circus | Streets | Carnival| Community

EXPRESSIONS: OF INTEREST CALL: FOR PROPOSALS

Sligo Festival runs for four days from 1st – 4th August and we are looking to present the coolest shows around for our culture hungry audiences in all disciplines.
    We are looking for work that will appeal to all audiences across venues throughout the entire city. We are looking for self-presenting and commissioned work.
    We are interested in work that is brand new, has toured already or is a project that is being developed.

If it is a new play, a site specific performance, a short film, a new band, a dance piece - let us know!

For further information – please contact: Jerome[at]productionhouse[dot]ie
    Deadline for Submission is 1st April 2008

www[dot]productionhouse[dot]ie/sligofestival

SLIGO::FESTIVAL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

:eek:

actually it sounds like fun. Maybe they will let me make one. Haha.

Posted the link above ^^^

already sent them a message. jeez I'm well full of myself today... thinking I can compete with art school grads etc.

I want a share when you make millions missy.. :D

• Advertisement

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Should be fun! I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Wow, sounds amazing.

I wonder if that will be the same Weekend that the Sligo Metal Festival (whiplash) will be on?
    It is usually around the first weekend in August.

If it is the same weekend, there should be a really good buzz around the place. Yay for something happeing here this summer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I wonder will STV be making a comissioned piece :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Can't wait.
    Counting down the time already:D
    Hopefully there will e a good buzz around town and if the weather is anything like it is now,it should be a joyous few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Can't wait.
    Counting down the time already:D
    Hopefully there will e a good buzz around town and if the weather is anything like it is now,it should be a joyous few days.

As David Gray would say (if he was singing at the Sligo Festival:D, which he can't be)

"It's dead in the water now"

It is dead in the water:
    Sadly, our application for government funding through the Arts Council of Ireland, fell short of the required funds and the festival team decided not to run the festival this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Ah feck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Shame but:

As great as it could be is there a need for a festival, the same people could run stuff in pubs/clubs sessions etc, trouble is are people really up for events, stuff is put on in this town and nobody shows up

Rovers is a good night out (half the town wearing English football Jersey's), Galleries are open, trad sessions about the place, McGarragles had a band called StanleySuper800 on recently, sell out all over the country, nominated for the Choice album of the year award, playing upstairs, E5 in, downstairs full, about 10 people in to see the show, listen to the same people any other night, nothing on in Sligo!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

elshambo wrote: »
    Shame but:

As great as it could be is there a need for a festival, the same people could run stuff in pubs/clubs sessions etc, trouble is are people really up for events, stuff is put on in this town and nobody shows up

Rovers is a good night out (half the town wearing English football Jersey's), Galleries are open, trad sessions about the place, McGarragles had a band called StanleySuper800 on recently, sell out all over the country, nominated for the Choice album of the year award, playing upstairs, E5 in, downstairs full, about 10 people in to see the show, listen to the same people any other night, nothing on in Sligo!?

I agree, we saw a great couple of Pink Floyd tribute bands in the Hawks Well, the first time there was quite a good turn out.
    Second time about 10 people turned up and about 8 of them were hecklers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

magnumlady wrote: »
    I agree, we saw a great couple of Pink Floyd tribute bands in the Hawks Well, the first time there was quite a good turn out.
    Second time about 10 people turned up and about 8 of them were hecklers.

I missed the Floyd crowd,was busy,ragin!
    I take it they were good then?

The gig i mentioned, one of the best indie pop esque bands in the country for the price of a pint and people stayed down stairs listening to indie pop esque cds?

With a festival, everyone goes out for the day, has a great time, complains that stuff isnt on more often, 3 weeks later back to ignoring events with a new excuse "its wont be as good as the festival" :)

Hope they can sort something else out thought, maybe smaller scale events, they seem like a good crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I didn't get to the Irish Pink Floyd in the Clarence the other week but I'd seen them before at the Hawks Well, they were brill.
    Also saw Pulse which is a UK tribute band and they were brill as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

elshambo wrote: »

Rovers is a good night out (half the town wearing English football Jersey's)

I've always wondered why a lot of Irish people support English football (or soccer) and not their own teams at home????

Getting back on topic, I heard there is a festival for peace or something in Sligo in the middle of June. The Youth Theatre are involved as are groups from Omagh and Belfast. I'll try to find more out.

Advertisement