Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Armed Gardai on patrol [PIC]

• 12-05-2008 6:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this picture has caused a bit of a stir as some think it may prejudicial to any legal proceedings against the arrested person. I personally dont not think so as it happened in public and does not identify anybody.

20080430athlunkardstreefk9.jpg

The picture shows a couple of men being detained by armed detectives, nobody knows if they are being arrested. They could be simply being detained for the purpose of a search.

Nodoby can identify the men so please do no mention any names of who it might be or who your ma's boyfriends aunties hair dresser thinks it is as these will be deleted.

This picture was taken in public and in my opinion can be displayed publically.

Nice to see the gardai with weapons drawn. Batons simply are not a deterrent anymore to hardline criminals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

Was this in Dublin?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nobody knows, people have speculated that it was in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Sweet pic, where did you get the pic chief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Is it really that wise to tackle someone one-on-one like that if you have no other armed backup in close vicinity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nice pic .. hardly US like though .. they'd have 27 of them pointing guns at one suspect and shouting conflicting instructing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it really that wise to tackle someone one-on-one like that if you have no other armed backup in close vicinity?

I can see at least 2 armed guards in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

be a good candidate for the dublin picture game :D

random wrote: »
    Yes...each with a prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

random wrote: »

Yeah definately 2.
    It's reassuring to see this. I think it's good to know that there is more than just, on beat cops with batons, patrolling the streets.
    There is no repect for Gardai anymore, but a garda with a gun is a different story.
    And if anyone says that in the US they have no respect for cops dont bother going there. It is a totally different country with messed up gun laws and cant be compared with any other civilised state in the world!

Unfortunately if they suspect the person is armed and coming from or going to a crime, thats the job. It wouldn't be wise for anyone else to do it but we are depending on these Gardai to do it for our safety and security and hats off to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Ah, this photo is going around. It's supposed to be of Athlunkard Street in Limerick. There were two arrests there recently, but in the early hours of the morning, so unless it gets light at aorund 2am down there...

I know who they are, but I obviously won't say who. However, there were several units involved in the arrest, so it's not just a case ot two fellas...
    Well that's alright then, I guess pictures can be misleading.

I hear-tell it's standard procedure with most armed units to have two armed members covering a suspect on the ground while a third member goes to retrieve and make-safe and discarded or surrendered weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Chief--- wrote: »
    Nobody knows, people have speculated that it was in limerick.

Yeah thats Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Damn, you got me before I could change my post. Dublinwriter!
    So, to clarify, I don't have a clue who it is. I thought it was two certain men, but they were arrested at 2am, so it couldn't possibly be.

Lads Gardai draw their weapons numerous times a day in Ireland.

Its very rare to get a picture of it tho.

Hardened criminals know if they draw one back they will get shot. Hence why they shot the unarmed motorbike cop.

I think its crazy that uniformed members and especially motorbike gardai are unarmed. As afterall they will normally be the first to respond to any kind of incident.

And motorbike gardai respond on their own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

An actual Garda will probably clear this up, but the 'cycle cops dont respond to incidents, or take part in pursuits. Mostly traffic duties/stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It's a luxury that very few Police Forces have.

The next ten years will be interesting.

EDIT: As for Motorbike Members it really does depend. The majority of bikes are attached to Traffic Units however there are a lot of Three-Relief Gardai also on Unit Based Motorbikes who do indeed answer calls.

Sadly, however; it's the minor matters that can escalate into something catastrophic and goodness knows what can happen. I'm strongly against members being forced to work alone from the Patrol Car nevermind the Motorbike!

Thats in dublin where bike cops are only in the traffic corps, basically because the estates are too dangerous for m/bike cops to patrol alone.

In other cities and countys motorbike cops respond to everyday incidents and are not traffic corps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sunnyjim wrote: »
    An actual Garda will probably clear this up, but the 'cycle cops dont respond to incidents, or take part in pursuits. Mostly traffic duties/stops.
    Even so, the GTC will obviously do routine traffic stops, which I understand is what this bike cop was doing when he got shot.

seamus wrote: »
    Even so, the GTC will obviously do routine traffic stops, which I understand is what this bike cop was doing when he got shot.

True.

Plus if there is a report of an armed robbery or burglary in progress all gardai will respond no matter if they are armed/unarmed or traffic corps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Thats in dublin where bike cops are only in the traffic corps, basically because the estates are too dangerous for m/bike cops to patrol alone.

In other cities and countys motorbike cops respond to everyday incidents and are not traffic corps.

Theres nothing stopping regular unit having a bike but it is rare as by the time you get the coourse your off to elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lads Gardai draw their weapons numerous times a day in Ireland.

Its very rare to get a picture of it tho.

Hardened criminals know if they draw one back they will get shot. Hence why they shot the unarmed motorbike cop.

I think its crazy that uniformed members and especially motorbike gardai are unarmed. As afterall they will normally be the first to respond to any kind of incident.

And motorbike gardai respond on their own!!
    Please explain the logic in your statement above. I can't see how it follows on from the previous sentence tbh.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Please explain the logic in your statement above. I can't see how it follows on from the previous sentence tbh.

I didn't make the statement so this is just my opinion.
    I think he means if these guys knew that the biker cop was armed and there was the possibility of getting shot themselves maybe they would have been less likely to draw their shotgun on the garda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

It is in Limerick..by St.Mary's Church and is of the arrest of a certain well known scut last week.

Advertisement