Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why would a bird have developed a fascination with crashing into my window?

• 12-05-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

Odd question for ye. Does anyone know what could lead a bird to develop a strange fascination with one window in a house and cause it to keep pecking the glass and flying into it? I think the bird is a robin, and over the past two days its become the birds obsession. The window is at the side of the house and surrounded by trees, but there is nothing that we can see inside the room that could be drawing its attention. It either sits on the open-able top part of the window pecking the glass, or else its flying face first into the glass in the centre of the window.

I'm not worried about the glass as its double glazed, but I reckon he will soon hurt himself flying face first into the window. Not to mention that it was annoying when he started banging early this morning.

Anyone ever come across this or have any idea how to dissuade the bird from his new hobby?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

This might help
    http://ask.metafilter.com/26033/What-causes-a-bird-to-fly-into-my-window-repeatedly-with-reckless-abandon

"your window is acting as a mirror. That bird has a nest nearby, so it it challenging the "other" bird it thinks it sees."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is the curtains on the window? Maybe a bird feeder close to the window might distract them, seeing themselves in the window and the rest of their environment makes them go for it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

This might help
    http://ask.metafilter.com/26033/What-causes-a-bird-to-fly-into-my-window-repeatedly-with-reckless-abandon

"your window is acting as a mirror. That bird has a nest nearby, so it it challenging the "other" bird it thinks it sees."

Thank you. That seems to sum up his behavior perfectly. There are large trees with nests outside of this window. I'll try and find a way to show him its a solid surface. (night classes maybe :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

As it turns out, I have managed to dissuade the bird from crashing into the glass by hanging a large teddy bear by its paw from the handle. Nearly a full day without that thumping noise, and the bird still seems to be nesting outside.

Cheers for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was going to suggest a bird of prey outline but as they are nesting so close it may scare them off altogether.

• Advertisement
Advertisement