Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork city centre - bull****

Options
  • 12-05-2008 7:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭

righto,

moved into a new apartment in upper john st. cork,
    i would consider it cork city centre,

in my apartment there are many cable and phone line ports,
    i first called ntl after a few days they got back to me to tell me they do not provide the service in our area, which frankly i'm finding very hard to believe,
    then i bit the bullet and called eircom, after getting a phone to check for a dial tone i was then told that we need to pay a re-activation fee of 121 euro which is pretty much daylight robbery, so they can **** off,

is there anything i can do whatsoever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Judging by your signature you would like to be able to do some gaming on your broadband yes? Unless you're able to have an external antenna which I'm presuming not since its a flat, you have the choice of paying eircom to get the line in or getting broadband from a non line of sight provider and have trouble gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

is it a new apartment ? if it is some of the developers do nt or wo nt deal with ntl if its older have a look around for cables outside ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mayordenis wrote: »
    then i bit the bullet and called eircom, after getting a phone to check for a dial tone i was then told that we need to pay a re-activation fee of 121 euro which is pretty much daylight robbery, so they can **** off,

Did you get through to eircom on a line in the apartment? If so, then the line work is already in place and the standard connection fee is about €25. The €121 charge is for getting a new line installed, where the line work is not in place. You might have been talking to someone who hasn't a clue.

Apart from that, have you tired Digiweb Metro, or IBB Breeze? Both of these require an external aerial which you might have issues with in an apartment building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Jor El, that's quite interesting because I too have moved into a new apartment (in Cork also) where there is an existing line BUT .......... I also have been quoted the €121 figure from Eircom. And I am an ex-Eircom customer ( from the previous apartment).
    I'll get back onto 'em and argue the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

NTL has never provided cable service in Cork. While both NTL and Chorus are both now owned by the equally dysfunctional UPC, and they are no doubt in the process of consolidating operations, one wonders if you ended up talking with the wrong call centre?

I would be very surprised if there is an address in Cork city without cable TV service. If it is a new building, while the cable might be installed, their database may not be up to date. They are a dozy lot!

Alternatively you are in an apartment complex created by some backstreet property developer who has sold out the cable/broadband monopoly rights to some backstreet telco.

Suggest that check the www.upc.ie website with your exact street address to verify, for starters.

.probe

• Advertisement
Advertisement