Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiders in the back garden

• 12-05-2008 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

In my black garden seems to be a spiders invasion!!
    Loads of little black/white spiders.The head is black and they have a sort of white asX :.
    They seems to hang mainly on the gravel and around the side walls, few also on the grass. Anybody any ideas how to get rid of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

blue74 wrote: »
    Hi

In my black garden seems to be a spiders invasion!!
    Loads of little black/white spiders.The head is black and they have a sort of white asX :.
    They seems to hang mainly on the gravel and around the side walls, few also on the grass. Anybody any ideas how to get rid of them?
    I wouldn't worry about them, your not in Australia, spiders in Ireland don't bite and are harmless. Infact they are a good thing by eating flies, midgies and other horrible little biting insects. These in your garden were probably babies that just hatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I wouldn't worry about them, your not in Australia, spiders in Ireland don't bite and are harmless. Infact they are a good thing by eating flies, midgies and other horrible little biting insects. These in your garden were probably babies that just hatched.

Indeed - 100% correct. Can't argue with those facts.

Unless you suffer from Arachniphobia like me (and I suspect the OP). And some spiders do bite - i've seen a pet dog get nipped by one. Thing is there are no dangerous spiders in ireland so a bite is never going to be serious. Unless a nasty nipper comes in on a banana bunch from costa rica or similar. I always check my bananas carefully, 'cause you can never be to careful.

Are those ultrasonic spider/insect repellent thingies any good? I suspect they are just a scam, like magnet therapy and using quartrz crystals to protect you from those nasty rays from computer CRT's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I hate those ultrasonic things! My paranoid mother bought 60 odd euro's worth of a ultrasonic device to scare mice out of the house, found a mouse about 5 centimetres from the device a few days later. Good luck with that :) Some googling shows that no one but the manufacturers can seem to get results :) The only result they seem to have is that when I passed it for a few weeks I got a weird twinge on my temples, like a too tight hat, so did my sister and our younger cousins.

Ideally leave the spiders where they are, or if you think they're too near your house, get someone to help you move them (gentle sweep of newspaper and a tupperware box) further down the garden. They're probably just babies and once they grow a bit will move out of your garden to find areas of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

At some point in the future i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and deal with this phobia. Tried googling for advice on combating arachniphobia but there seems to be nothing local for it. "Aversion therapy" seems to be what most people recommend - where you are gradually exposed more and more to the thing you hate. This sounds scary and completly counter-productive but who knows maybe it works. But it looks like for me I would have to take some Aversion-aversion therapy before going on the aversion therapy, so as to enable me to deal with the aversion therapy...

Unless Pfizer or Glaxo have some sort of Anti-phobia specific pill on the market. Now there's an idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I can hear those ultrasonic things, and they really give me grief when I'm in a house with one. I usually sneak in and unplug it and then plug it back in when I'm leaving.
    Fecking things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement