Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 online solution!!!

• 12-05-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Workes all the time for me now!
    For PS3 it's all about the NAT type. Get it to type 1 and it'll work every time. I had the same problems as everybody else.

Just follow this kids instructions and it'll be fine: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3EjOI-aryhA&feature=related

GOOD STUFF! Let me know if this works

Posted this other places but in case people missed it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

mine still says NAT type 2 :( whats the difference anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cormhag

slinky2000 wrote: »
    mine still says NAT type 2 :( whats the difference anyway?

Are you eircom? The difference was that it didn't work before (only once or twice when there were basically no people playing)and it works now. I'm not exactly an expert, I just did what the kid did and it all worked perfectly. I tried other things before that didn't work, but if it isn't working for you, maybe one of those things helped. I opened the ports suggested on another thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287775&highlight=open+ports+ps3)on boards but that didn't seem to help at the time. Maybe that helped, I also put the firewall to 'low' on my router.

I think it just NAT type is basically how free/restricted the access is to the network. NAT1 is quite unrestricted I think. I'll let somebody who knows correct me;)

actually mate, even though it still says NAT 2, setting my MTU from auto to 1500 has fixed all my online and in game freezing problems! sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i couldnt get type 2 after an update so im on type 1 the whole time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

u shouldnt need to get it to nat 1, nat 2 will work fine. nat 3 is the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cormhag

That may very well be true but I reckon this is a very easy way for people to get it working who don't know exactly what they're doing. Worked for me:)

Good luck everybody, let's hope there'll be more competent players on there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Nice to see a guide available! however can someone please tell wtf PPPoE is for Chorus / NTL ? Is it required?

if your ps3 or pc can connect through your wireless router without pppoe, you probably don't need it

aye my PC + PS3 can connect through router without PPPoE. I followed the guide (altho without using PPPoE), set MTU to 1500 etc. but still no joy :(

also switched to using an ethernet cable as I thought that might be more reliable but made no difference. I guess I'll just have to wait for some more reliable solution.

jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Worked perfect for me

If you are with eircom the user name is

eircom

The password is

password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mine stuill says NAT 2. OnEsat BT. ZyXEL Prestige 600 series modem, using a Belkin Wireless G router (using it as a wired connection though)

Haven't been able to get invites working through the router or the modem directly. Can join games through 'quick match'; though... any ideas? PLEASE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Mine's already NAT 2. I was still having problems though, so I set the PS3 up with a static IP outside the DHCP so other peoples laptops or computers won't steal the IP. I opened the ports also using a guide at portforward.com

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Pick your router brand and then type. Each type has a different walkthru for various programs and devices. There's one for my router for PSN, I used that. I've got the bog standard Netopia 3347NWG and it was a breeze using the guide.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the "connection to one or more players was lost". MTU is at 1500 also.

OK, mine is working now Dealgan is slaughtering me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Don't for one second assume that NAT2 is fine. NAT stands for Network Address Translation. In other words how your internet connection talks to other internet connections. Now NAT3 (strict for Xbox users) means that you internet is extremely selective to what it talks to, for gaming the result is severe problems connecting to games, as the router is not letting others talk to you. NAT2 (moderate for Xbox) is the middle ground. It allows you to connect to a hell of a lot more games, but still approx. 50% of connections will not work. Now in any game that has a party matchmaking process that causes problems (unless you are party host), because if the party host has a NAT1 (open for Xbox) that means he/she can connect to games you cannot connect you. This causes you to disconnect from the party and game. For gaming NAT1 or open NAT is quite necessary for smooth gaming performance, and good connectivity. NAT2 does not work fine, its just about acceptable.

Joe Robot wrote: »
    OK, mine is working now Dealgan is slaughtering me. :eek:

yea he's good at it too :(

Right, I managed to get mine onto NAT1 with some fiddling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

This fixed my cant connect to one or more players with GTA anyway thank god! cheers !!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

fixed it here as well, thanks to op for the link and to the orignal poster on youtube

From reading the above comments it seems I definitely need to get my PS3 connected on NAT1 (currently NAT2). I followed the YouTube guide (except I don't need PPPoE) and am now using a static IP address from my router, which puts my PS3 on the DeMilitarised Zone.

I'm using a D-Link DI-624+ Wirelesss Router, but using ethernet connection to the PS3. I am on Chorus Cable BB in Cork, 3mbps. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to configure PS3 / router for NAT1?

jArgHA wrote: »
    From reading the above comments it seems I definitely need to get my PS3 connected on NAT1 (currently NAT2). I followed the YouTube guide (except I don't need PPPoE) and am now using a static IP address from my router, which puts my PS3 on the DeMilitarised Zone.

I'm using a D-Link DI-624+ Wirelesss Router, but using ethernet connection to the PS3. I am on Chorus Cable BB in Cork, 3mbps. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to configure PS3 / router for NAT1?

Find out your PPPoE username & password from Chorus. That works.

I played that game last night with you guys with my PS3 setup on a static IP and the relevant port forwarding, it was on NAT2 also. It worked fine with you guys and any other Irish players but I couldn't join any US games.

I set it up with PPPoE last night after the game, it's now on NAT1. No problems joining any games. :)

For anyone interested the PPPoE username and password for Eircom is broadband1
    It might take a few tries but eventually it gets successful for all tests. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

jArgHA wrote:
    however can someone please tell wtf PPPoE is for Chorus / NTL ? Is it required?
    Joe Robot wrote:
    Find out your PPPoE username & password from Chorus. That works.
    Chorus don't use PPPoE so you don't need it - PPPoE is only for when you get your broadband over your phonline. Chorus (and NTL, Digiweb, Irish Broadband wireless etc.) also don't use PPPoE.
    jArgHA wrote:
    You'll never get NAT Type 1 behind a router - the only way for you to get NAT Type 1 is to connect your PS3 directly into your Chorus cablemodem. Of course, this means you can't connect your PC at the same time.
    Joe Robot wrote:
    Pick your router brand and then type. Each type has a different walkthru for various programs and devices. There's one for my router for PSN, I used that. I've got the bog standard Netopia 3347NWG and it was a breeze using the guide.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the "connection to one or more players was lost". MTU is at 1500 also.
    MTU of 1500 should only be used if you're on cable systems (NTL, Chorus, Digiweb Metro). 1492 should be the setting for DSL connections (broadband over your phoneline - Eircom, BT, UTV, Smart etc.).

thanks for the info Kensington.

the one thing I haven't tried yet is bypassing the router and plugging the PS3 directly to the cable modem, so maybe this'll work (but will prevent my GF from using her laptop to access the net at the same time)..

One thing you could try - I've tried this myself on an NTL connection, but don't know if chorus will allow it, but as they're both UPC now I imagine it would...

Get something like an ethernet switch, about €15 in Peats here. Plug your switch into the cable modem, in place of the router - then plug your PS3 into one of the ports of the SWITCH and then plug the router into one of the other ports on the switch.

Basically - now your router will get one "public" IP address, through which all of your PCs will connect, with the router doing NAT for all of the PCs, and then your PS3 will get a second "public" IP address. The IP address which your PS3 receives is from the chorus cablemodem. Because your PS3 is now not going through a router, but is directly on the interweb, with it's own IP, there is no NATing involved and therefore your PS3 will report "NAT Type 1". Also, both your PS3 and any PCs can be on the net at the same time.

As I say though, you might want to ring chorus first - see how many "public" IP addresses they will let your cablemodem have. NTL allow you three, so I would assume chorus allow the same - check first though! :)

NAT 2 should still work fine, if done correctly, and you shouldn't have to go through all of the above - there's a feckin shedload of ports you've to open up though for PS3, I'll post these up later...

Kensington wrote: »
    One thing you could try - I've tried this myself on an NTL connection, but don't know if chorus will allow it, but as they're both UPC now I imagine it would...

Get something like an ethernet switch, about €15 in Peats here. Plug your switch into the cable modem, in place of the router - then plug your PS3 into one of the ports of the SWITCH and then plug the router into one of the other ports on the switch.

Basically - now your router will get one "public" IP address, through which all of your PCs will connect, with the router doing NAT for all of the PCs, and then your PS3 will get a second "public" IP address. The IP address which your PS3 receives is from the chorus cablemodem. Because your PS3 is now not going through a router, but is directly on the interweb, with it's own IP, there is no NATing involved and therefore your PS3 will report "NAT Type 1". Also, both your PS3 and any PCs can be on the net at the same time.

As I say though, you might want to ring chorus first - see how many "public" IP addresses they will let your cablemodem have. NTL allow you three, so I would assume chorus allow the same - check first though! :)

NAT 2 should still work fine, if done correctly, and you shouldn't have to go through all of the above - there's a feckin shedload of ports you've to open up though for PS3, I'll post these up later...

thanks Kensington, the advice is much appreciated! I will first try connecting PS3 directly to the cable modem and if this seems to work for MP games more reliably then I'll look into getting hold of a switch as suggested.

regards opening the ports - with my current config my PS3 is assigned a static IP which is allowed to be on the DMZ by the router - is it correct to say that in this case port forwarding is (should be) unnecessary?

Yep, with DMZ then it's essentially like opening or forwarding ALL ports on your router whereby whenever something from the outside world tries to access any port on your router, the router automatically forwards the data to your PS3 (or whatever happens to be in the DMZ - this is why you should definitely not put a PC on the DMZ!!!) I remember on a DLink I had ages ago that there was a setting "Enable XBOX Live Support", hidden with the "Advanced" menu of the router configuration menus - basically this reduced the firewall strictness level somewhat, may also be worth a try??

Yep, with DMZ then it's essentially like opening or forwarding ALL ports on your router whereby whenever something from the outside world tries to access any port on your router, the router automatically forwards the data to your PS3 (or whatever happens to be in the DMZ - this is why you should definitely not put a PC on the DMZ!!!) I remember on a DLink I had ages ago that there was a setting "Enable XBOX Live Support", hidden with the "Advanced" menu of the router configuration menus - basically this reduced the firewall strictness level somewhat, may also be worth a try??

I tried putting the PS3 into the DMZ last night, to try to get everything to work, but it still doesn't. I am able to join games through custum and quick game modes. Also, I was able to accept 3 invites last night. One when i first logged on, then I was able to invite a friend to that game, then the invites didn't work again. Later on, after fiddling with some settings and putting the PS3 on a static IP address, and into the DMZ, I was able to accept 1 invite, but then my mate was booted from the game (the game he had created) and the invites failed to work again. I just keep getting a 'game session no longer available, exiting to single player' error.

Anyone have any ideas?

At the moment the PS3 is connected (wired) to my router, then the router is connected to the modem. have a static IP for the PS3, and my NAT is Type 2. uPnp has been made available through the router and is listed as available on the ps3 status check - dunno what this means though. What is the story with the MTU settings? I have tried 1400, 1500 and 1492. When I had it set to 1492 (was dynamic IP at the time and not in the DMZ) it worked for the first invite i got, and to invite my mate the first time, but not after that.

Can anyone help me fix this? Myself and my mate spent ages online last night trying to get it sorted, but we just can't get it working reliably or consistently.

I have read the port forwarding recommendations, but if putting the PS3 in the DMZ isn't fixing the issue, I can't see that port forwarding would - the DMZ is a catch all port forwarding scenario isn't it?

Tauren wrote: »
    I tried putting the PS3 into the DMZ last night, to try to get everything to work, but it still doesn't. I am able to join games through custum and quick game modes. Also, I was able to accept 3 invites last night. One when i first logged on, then I was able to invite a friend to that game, then the invites didn't work again. Later on, after fiddling with some settings and putting the PS3 on a static IP address, and into the DMZ, I was able to accept 1 invite, but then my mate was booted from the game (the game he had created) and the invites failed to work again. I just keep getting a 'game session no longer available, exiting to single player' error.

Anyone have any ideas?

At the moment the PS3 is connected (wired) to my router, then the router is connected to the modem. have a static IP for the PS3, and my NAT is Type 2. uPnp has been made available through the router and is listed as available on the ps3 status check - dunno what this means though. What is the story with the MTU settings? I have tried 1400, 1500 and 1492. When I had it set to 1492 (was dynamic IP at the time and not in the DMZ) it worked for the first invite i got, and to invite my mate the first time, but not after that.

Can anyone help me fix this? Myself and my mate spent ages online last night trying to get it sorted, but we just can't get it working reliably or consistently.

I have read the port forwarding recommendations, but if putting the PS3 in the DMZ isn't fixing the issue, I can't see that port forwarding would - the DMZ is a catch all port forwarding scenario isn't it?

Hi Tauren / Conavar

I got a heap of invites from you last night and did try connecting to your game on 2 occasions but each time I got the "Game session no longer exists type message". I did, however, finally get my own MP game working - finally. Must have spent the bext part of an hour in a free roam Party Mode game with Malongorph and steoc4 (Malongorph dominated).

I took the router out of the equation last night and that is why my games were working and others could connect to my PS3. Your issues sound very similar to those that I was having for the past few days - configured router to assign static IP and put PS3 on the DMZ, PS3 still showed NAT Type 2 and connection to games very ropey (worked about 1 in 10 times).

Last night I connected the PS3 straight into the cable modem (what ISP are you with?), went to Network Settings on the PS3 and allowed it to obtain IP address / DNS settings again, after which it displayed NAT Type 1. Then I started up GTA4 and hey presto, MP games were working.

Obviously this isn't ideal because your PC / WiFi devices can't use the net at the same time, but if you follow Kensington's suggestion of putting a switch in between the cable modem and the router then that issue will be resolved. So it looks like a lot of ppl's problems are router-related..

jArgHA wrote: »
    Hi Tauren / Conavar

I got a heap of invites from you last night and did try connecting to your game on 2 occasions but each time I got the "Game session no longer exists type message". I did, however, finally get my own MP game working - finally. Must have spent the bext part of an hour in a free roam Party Mode game with Malongorph and steoc4 (Malongorph dominated).

I took the router out of the equation last night and that is why my games were working and others could connect to my PS3. Your issues sound very similar to those that I was having for the past few days - configured router to assign static IP and put PS3 on the DMZ, PS3 still showed NAT Type 2 and connection to games very ropey (worked about 1 in 10 times).

Last night I connected the PS3 straight into the cable modem (what ISP are you with?), went to Network Settings on the PS3 and allowed it to obtain IP address / DNS settings again, after which it displayed NAT Type 1. Then I started up GTA4 and hey presto, MP games were working.

Obviously this isn't ideal because your PC / WiFi devices can't use the net at the same time, but if you follow Kensington's suggestion of putting a switch in between the cable modem and the router then that issue will be resolved. So it looks like a lot of ppl's problems are router-related..
    Sorry about all the invites!

What is annoying is that i was able to accept an invite from you at the start of the night - so i thought it was finally working and my firend was able to accept an invite from me to that game, but after that it went bums up again!

I'm with BT - so I have one of the old ZyXell Prestige Series 600 modems. At the moment my PC is connected via USB to this (phone cable running to the Zyxell , and the router is using the only network cable port. I had tried connecting direct to the modem before, and i don't think it worked. i'll try it again tonight (should I disconnect the PC from the modem when trying this - i technically don't need to...) I've also found what the default username and password are for the modem so i'll see if they work so that i can check the settings on it (hopefully i didn't change them, cause if i did i have no idea what they are!!)

Tauren wrote: »
    ...should I disconnect the PC from the modem when trying this - i technically don't need to...

No if your PC is connected using the USB ethernet port on the modem you should be able to keep it connected while plugging the PS3 directly to the ethernet port of the modem. If, however, BT can only assign you one public IP address, which is possible, then try turning off the PC with just the PS3 connected to the modem.

Also after connecting the PS3 directly to the modem, make sure you go the network settings via the PS3 Cross Media Bar, and set them up again (as per youtube guide, but PPPoE is not required). After this is done, do the connection test and your PS3 network settings should show the public IP address obtained from BT.

Hope this helps,

jAH

PS I actually ended that game that you did manage to connect to last night as I noticed it was very difficult to actually kill an opponent (like it took about 3 RPG shots to the head!), so I started a Party Mode game and invited you again immediately after...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭manyoo88

tried it there and work perfect. Can finally play GTA4 online now:D:D:D:D:D

@Tauren: Yep, assign your PS3 a static IP address on your network, set up that IP address to be the DMZ on your router and then do the following:

1. Start up the PS3. Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings.
    2. Select "Yes" when it asks do you want to continue.
    3. Select "Custom" for "Select a setting method".
    4. Select "Wired Connection" (since you're using an ethernet cable).
    5. Select "Manual Settings" for Select the operation mode of the network device.
    6. Select "Auto Detect" for Speed and Duplex.
    7. Select "Automatic" for IP Address setting.
    8. Select "Do Not Set" for DHCP host name.
    9. Select "Automatic" for DNS Setting.
    10. Select "Manual" for MTU. Change this value to 1492 (for broadband over your phoneline).
    11. Select "Do Not Use" for Proxy Server.
    12. Select "Disable" for uPnP.
    13. Finally, hit X to enter, and then agan at "Test Connection".

Test should then bring back up the results with uPnP disabled and NAT Type 2. Either have your PS3 in the DMZ, or if you prefer not to or can't, make sure you forward all of the necessary ports to the PS3 IP address. Unless you're forwarding ports to other PCs/consoles on your network, then DMZ should be fine - there's no risk of having the PS3 on DMZ, very little (if any) dangers exist for it so far! But do be warned that DMZ will override port forwards, so if you've a PC that you online game with, then the DMZ is not going to forward ports to it anymore, they'll be forwarded to your PS3.

EDIT: Just something I thought of there - those crappy ZyXEL BT modems, I think they've routers built into them aswell - this could cause you a few problems as then you're "double routing", which is an absolute cnut! Give the above a try anyway, let us know how you get on!

@Tauren: Yep, assign your PS3 a static IP address on your network, set up that IP address to be the DMZ on your router and then do the following:

1. Start up the PS3. Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings.
    2. Select "Yes" when it asks do you want to continue.
    3. Select "Custom" for "Select a setting method".
    4. Select "Wired Connection" (since you're using an ethernet cable).
    5. Select "Manual Settings" for Select the operation mode of the network device.
    6. Select "Auto Detect" for Speed and Duplex.
    7. Select "Automatic" for IP Address setting.
    8. Select "Do Not Set" for DHCP host name.
    9. Select "Automatic" for DNS Setting.
    10. Select "Manual" for MTU. Change this value to 1492 (for broadband over your phoneline).
    11. Select "Do Not Use" for Proxy Server.
    12. Select "Disable" for uPnP.
    13. Finally, hit X to enter, and then agan at "Test Connection".

Test should then bring back up the results with uPnP disabled and NAT Type 2. Either have your PS3 in the DMZ, or if you prefer not to or can't, make sure you forward all of the necessary ports to the PS3 IP address. Unless you're forwarding ports to other PCs/consoles on your network, then DMZ should be fine - there's no risk of having the PS3 on DMZ, very little (if any) dangers exist for it so far! But do be warned that DMZ will override port forwards, so if you've a PC that you online game with, then the DMZ is not going to forward ports to it anymore, they'll be forwarded to your PS3.

EDIT: Just something I thought of there - those crappy ZyXEL BT modems, I think they've routers built into them aswell - this could cause you a few problems as then you're "double routing", which is an absolute cnut! Give the above a try anyway, let us know how you get on!

Well, went home yesterday and my internet wasn't working at all - so i had to spend ages just getting it working again. Didn't bother with the wireless router yesterday, just plugged the PS3 directly into the ZyXEL modem and forwarded the relevant ports directly from it to the PS3. Was FINALLY able to make and accept invites. Was able to make and accept invites from a mate down the coutry, and one of our fellow boardsies. Another mate had to change HIS settings to get the invites working (which was odd cause he had been able to connect to other people no probs...) but at least I/We finally got it working.

I would like to get it working with the wireless router, but I'm a little apprehensive regarding messing with the settings and connections again, now that it finally appears to be working.

The one thing I do want to sort is the static IP for the PS3. at the moment it is dynamic, which means I have to boot upo the PS3 with no game, check the IP address it has been assigned, then log on to my modem through my PC and configure the port forwarding tot he new IP address. It doesn't take too long to do, but i'd prefer to not have to do it. I just don't know what IP address I should give it as I do not know what the number range actually is. I have read I should chose one far away from what it is assigned automatically (currently something like 1.36) so I should be using, say, 1.200 but i have also been told it needs to remain within the DHCP range, or something, and I don't know what that range actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

my MTU is 1500. I'm on nat1 wireless with eircom and all seems to be running well.

if i change the MTU to 1492 as recommended above what difference will it make to me? i don't want to change a good thing

Tauren wrote:
    I would like to get it working with the wireless router, but I'm a little apprehensive regarding messing with the settings and connections again, now that it finally appears to be working.
    What make and model is your wireless router?
    superweld wrote:
    my MTU is 1500. I'm on nat1 wireless with eircom and all seems to be running well.

if i change the MTU to 1492 as recommended above what difference will it make to me? i don't want to change a good thing
    If it works and you're happy with it, leave it! Don't fix what isn't broken as they say...

yeah i'll leave it so. i was actually having no problems with nat3 either but changed it to nat1 wireless as per the 'keep it carlow' youtube vid. i'll leave well enough alone now so :D

• Advertisement

What make and model is your wireless router?

If it works and you're happy with it, leave it! Don't fix what isn't broken as they say...
    This is my wireless router: Belkin F5D7230-4

At the moment it is working with the PS3 hooked directly to the ZyXEL router, with the PSN ports forwarded. But this set up means that i have to unply the wireless router, which is a pain.

When i was trying to get it working with the Belkin router I tried putting the ps3 in the DMZ of the wireless router and it didn't work. Maybe I need to port forward from the ZyXEL Router to the Belkin wireless router and have the PS3 in the DMZ of wireless router too....maybe the PS3 wasn't able to access the ports properly becuase of some issue between the ZyXEL router and the Belkin Wireless Router.

Yes, set up your Belkin wireless router so that it gets a static IP address from your ZyXEL modem. Then forward both packet types (TCP and UDP) with the port range 0 - 65535 (ie. all possible ports) in the ZyXEL to the IP address which you have assigned to your Belkin router. Then set up your PS3 with a static IP address from the Belkin, and set this IP to be in the DMZ.

This way, your ZyXEL will forward any port access request from the internet to your Belkin router, and then the Belkin router will forward the port request to your PS3 in the DMZ.

Hope this gets it working for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Hope one of you guys can help me here. Had set my ps3 up with a static ip address and forwarded 5 ports to it (originally cos I couldn't play RR7 online, through wireless router). Anyways everything was going grand until I went on holidays and (probably stupidly) unplugged the router. When I plugged everything back in couldn't play online again and discovered I was NAT 3 again... Oh guys I'm sick... Static ip seems grand and ports still open (even added the ones given above) and am still NAT 3... Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JugGe7CCuNU

follow that and change to nat1 with wireless and ya should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Cheers superweld, took a few tries, problems with the username/password, but now works a treat...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

look i dont know what all the fuss is about open this port and that, the ps3 is made to play out of the box , no matter what game you play , if there is a problem theres patches and sorts sent out to fix it , opening ports is leaving your self open to attack , oh nat 1 nat 2 theres no diference ingame play , im on nat 2 no problems

@Kensington - do you have an idea what could be going wrong here:

I have been playing MP for the past 2 weeks by simple plugging my PS3 directly to the Chorus Cable modem (bypassing the router). Using this solution I can create a custom game which I host and play against others no problem.

However, when I try to accept an invite / play a Quick Match, I can see the pre-match screen with the game settings/other player names etc., but when the game starts I lose connection (game session no longer exists message).

I thought by connecting the PS3 directly yo the modem that I would have no problems connecting to, as well as hosting games..?

Any advice would be appreciated

jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭colmos

Cheers lads, this info is brilliant. Since I used it, I havent had any problems whatsoever with connection losses.
    I was NAT Type 3 and Im NAT Type 1 now.
    The only problem now is when everyone else loses their connection, and you're the only person left playing online!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

GTA4 multiplayer on PS3 is a mess as far as I'm concerned. I spent hours the other night configuring my PS3 and router, eventually getting NAT type 1 and still I couldn't get it working. Everytime I started a game I would get to the lobby for a few seconds only to be booted out with the "the connection to one or more players has been lost" error message. It's so frustrating as I can connect to multiplayer games on the XBOX version without any issue. Thing is all my friends have PS3 so I'd really like to get it up and running. After all the messing around I've done with my router I'm more convinced than ever it's not my fault at all and an issue with the game servers. All my other PS3 games work online without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wefordian

Thanks Guys,
    I followed the instructions to change to Nat type 1 and all is good in the online world of GTA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

superweld wrote: »

What username and password did you use for pppoe? Im using broadband1 and when i enter that in it cannot find IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

How do I get the PPoE? I'm Eircom btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

I used "eircom" for PPoE, and "password" for password and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wefordian

I'm on Eircom broadband and I used "eircom" for PPoE username, and "password" for password and it worked also. If this doesn't work for you ring your service provider and ask them what it is.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does putting the PS3 in DMZ affect other PC's on the same network, using same router? I'm assuming all ports get forwarded to the PS3, leaving nothing for other PCs...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement